Just Be (Paloma Faith song)
|Single by Paloma Faith|
|from the album Fall to Grace|
|Released||16 December 2012|
|Paloma Faith singles chronology|
"Just Be" is a song by British recording artist Paloma Faith from her second studio album Fall to Grace (2012). It was released on 16 December 2012 by RCA Records as the fourth single from the album. Written by Faith, Greg Wells and Matt Hales, "Just Be" is a "love song for real lovers". One critic called it an honest portrait of the highs and lows of relationships. "Just Be" reached Number 66 in the UK Singles Chart, three months before it was released. The official music video was released on 5 November 2012 and features Faith in a love affair with a man in New York City.
"Just Be" was written by Faith along with Greg Wells and Matt Hales. It was co-produced by Nellee Hooper and Jake Gosling. It was released by RCA Records on 16 December 2012. Explaining the meaning of the song, Faith stated "It's supposed to be a realistic love song for real lovers. It's saying, 'He gets on my nerves, but I love him.' I find that more endearing than, 'There's no one out there but him.' That seems naive. I have a lot of admiration for people who've been in relationships a long time, married for years. This is a more knowing take on romance." "Just Be" was used by ITV as the soundtrack to their New Season Drama trailer.
During his review of Fall to Grace, Digital Spy's Robert Copsey called "Just Be" a ballad that is "packed to the brim with old glamour." Copsey later gave the song five stars and stated that the song "strips back the usual grandiose production" and allows Faith's "rich and velvety voice to come to the fore". He added "The result is soul-pop perfection that, if we had it our way, would be topping the charts this Christmas." Trent Maynard from 4Music said "The song is an honest and moving portrait of the highs and lows of love and relationships." Perez Hilton commented that the song is "gorgeous", before adding "A power ballad that grabs you instantly by the heartstrings and doesn't let go till the song is over! No gimmicks here! Just a piano, a special voice, beautiful melodies and meaningful lyrics!" Mark Blankenship from Newnownext.com revealed that "Just Be" was his favourite Faith song, saying it is "a torchy ballad with some delicious theatrical touches. In the first chorus, my girl actually shushes her man! But because a true diva knows the importance of restraint, she doesn't repeat that shushing until the very end of the song. Twice is enough, y'all. She has made her point. And besides, that frees her up to growl like a wounded love tiger."
The accompanying music video, directed by Emil Nava, was released on 5 November 2012. It was shot in black and white and on location in New York City. The video shows Faith in a tempestuous love affair with a man. Faith's lover is played by James Kelly, the same actor who previously appeared as her love interest in the videos for "Picking Up the Pieces, "30 Minute Love Affair" and "Never Tear Us Apart. Faith and Kelly act out "a passionate love scene", during which Kelly removes her dress. Other scenes see the singer performing the track while she is naked in an empty room. She sits on the floor hugging her knees to protect her modesty. Grace Carroll from Gigwise commented "Paloma Faith is no stranger to odd antics, so her choice to strip off - and sit on a bare wood floor - in her latest video is definitely one of the least strange things she's done."
To promote Fall to Grace, Faith performed "Just Be" on Later... with Jools Holland in May 2012. Viewers voted it the second best performance of the night during a poll on The Guardian's website. Faith included "Just Be" in her set for her performances at Somerset House in July. In August, Faith filmed and released an acoustic performance of the song. The following month, she included "Just Be" in her set list for BBC Radio 2's Live in Hyde Park concert.
- Digital download
- "Just Be" – 4:38
- Digital EP
- "Just Be" – 4:38
- "Just Be" (Shy FX & B.Traits Mix) – 4:35
- "Just Be" (Full Intention Remix) – 5:20
- "Just Be" (Distance Remix) – 4:32
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from Fall to Grace album liner notes.
- Paloma Faith – vocals, songwriter
- Greg Wells – songwriter
- Matt Hales – songwriter
- Nellee Hooper – producer, mixer, programming
- Jake Gosling – co-producer, programming
- Dave Miles – audio engineering
- Simon Gogerly – mix engineer
- Ed Harcourt – piano
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||66|
|United Kingdom||16 December 2012||Digital download|
- Corner, Lewis (5 November 2012). "Paloma Faith premieres 'Just Be' music video - watch". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Maynard, Trent (5 November 2012). "Paloma releases the video for her "realistic love song"". 4Music. Box Television. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Corner, Lewis (23 August 2012). "Paloma Faith performs acoustic rendition of new single 'Just Be'". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- Copsey, Robert (28 May 2012). "Paloma Faith: 'Fall To Grace' - Album review". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- Copsey, Robert (12 December 2012). "Paloma Faith: 'Just Be' - Single review". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Hilton, Perez (6 November 2012). "Listen To This: Let's Be Unhappy Forever - Together!". PerezHilton.com. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- Blankenship, Mark (16 November 2012). "You Really, Really Need to Hear Paloma Faith". Newnownext.com. Logo. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Paloma Faith: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "Paloma Faith: 'Just Be'". Gaydar Radio. QSoft Consulting. 5 November 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Nixon, Tim (5 November 2012). "Saucy singer Paloma Faith strips nude for her cheeky new video". The Sun. News International. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Carroll, Grace (5 November 2012). "Watch: Paloma Faith gets naked in new video for 'Just Be'". Gigwise. Giant Digital. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Who gave the best performance on Later … with Jools Holland?". The Guardian (Guardian Media Group). 23 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- Everett, Lucinda (19 July 2012). "Paloma Faith, Somerset House, review". The Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group). Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "A Kind of Magic". BBC Radio 2. BBC. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Just Be – EP". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. 2012. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- Fall to Grace (Compact Disc liner notes). Paloma Faith. RCA Records. 2012. p. 9. 88691955512.