|Directed by||John Woo
|Produced by||Chang Cheh
Lin Bei Xuan
|Music by||Wong Jim
|Release dates||September 14, 1989|
Following the death of a triad leader, there is conflict within the Hong Kong organised crime syndicate as various possible leaders vie for power. David Chiang attempts to bring the traitor in the midst of his own group to justice following a taped conversation of traitor admitting his crimes, but who cannot be found, while Danny Lee, the elected leader of the triad has his family attacked as he fights unknown enemies to bring the organisation back under control. Their actions are hindered by Chow Sing Chi who is attempting to build up anger between the two completing triads of Hong Kong. The film is brought to a bloody conclusion as the traitor leader of the group storms the triad safe house in a desperate attempt to gain control over the group, but is met by heavy resistance.
Just Heroes began production as a benefit for the Hong Kong Director's Union. The film was made to aid director Chang Cheh who was broke. When actors Danny Lee and David Chiang found out about Chang's financial situation, they developed the story Just Heroes that was made to be similar to the film A Better Tomorrow. John Woo directed about 60% of the film.
Just Heroes was released on September 14, 1989. The film was not a major financial success in Hong Kong, making $7,913,229 and coming in 48th place in the year end box office. All the money from the film was given to Chang Cheh so he could retire. Rather than using it as retirement funds, Chang used the money to direct another film.
- Morton, 2009. p.164
- Morton, 2009. p.165
- Elder, 2005. p.55
- Sharrett, 1999. p.411
- Elder, 2005. p.56
- Morton, Lisa (2009). The Cinema of Tsui Hark. McFarland. ISBN 0-7864-4460-6. Retrieved May 31, 2010.
- Elder, Robert K. (2005). John Woo Interviews. University Press of Mississippi. ISBN 1-57806-776-6. Retrieved May 6, 2010.
- Sharrett, Christopher (1999). Mythologies of violence in postmodern media. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-2742-7.
- Just Heroes at allmovie
- Just Heroes at the Hong Kong Movie Database
- Just Heroes at the Internet Movie Database
- Just Heroes at Rotten Tomatoes