Just What I Needed: The Cars Anthology
|Just What I Needed: The Cars Anthology|
|Compilation album by The Cars|
|Genre||New wave, pop rock, rock|
|Producer||The Cars, Roy Thomas Baker, Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Mike Shipley, Ric Ocasek|
|The Cars chronology|
Just What I Needed: The Cars Anthology is a two-disc, career-spanning compilation album of songs by the new wave rock group The Cars. It features most of the band's singles, as well as many album tracks, B-sides and unreleased tunes.
Whereas the 1985 Greatest Hits record contained the band's most popular hit singles, Just What I Needed includes an album's worth of rarities and unreleased tracks, in addition to deeper album tracks and the requisite hits.
"I'm Not the One" is the original album version from 1980, while the rendition on Greatest Hits was a 1986 remix. Greatest Hits also includes "Heartbeat City," which is not included on Just What I Needed.
Rare and unreleased tracks
The following three songs were B-sides that had never previously been issued on CD:
- "That's It" (previously issued as the B-side of 1979's 'Let's Go')
- "Don't Go to Pieces" (previously issued as the B-side of 1981's 'Gimme Some Slack')
- "Breakaway" (previously released as the B-side of 1985's 'Why Can't I Have You')
The following 4 tracks were recorded as demos in 1977. "Leave or Stay" and "Ta Ta Wayo Wayo" were eventually re-recorded for the band's 1987 album Door To Door; the other 2 tracks were never re-recorded. All 4 tracks were previously unreleased recordings.
- "Take Me Now"
- "Cool Fool"
- "Ta Ta Wayo Wayo" (demo)
- "Leave or Stay" (demo)
The following previously unreleased track is an unfinished outtake from the band's first album, featuring only Ocasek & Hawkes. It was eventually re-recorded for 1979's Candy-O.
- "Nightspots" (early version)
The previously unreleased "Slipaway" was recorded as a 24-track demo by The Cars between their first and second albums. Rather than record a finished studio version, The Cars gave the song to Ian Lloyd, who issued his version later in 1979.
Previously unissued cover songs
The following two tracks, both cover versions, were initially made as backing tracks for Bebe Buell to record vocals over for her 1981 EP Covers Girl. These versions feature lead vocals by Ric Ocasek and Ben Orr, and are previously unissued.
All songs were written by Ric Ocasek unless otherwise noted.
- Just What I Needed
- My Best Friend's Girl
- Good Times Roll
- You're All I've Got Tonight
- Don't Cha Stop
- Moving in Stereo - (Ocasek/G. Hawkes)
- Take Me Now
- Cool Fool - (Ocasek/E. Easton)
- Let's Go
- Dangerous Type
- Double Life
- Got a Lot on My Head
- It's All I Can Do
- That's it
- Gimme Some Slack
- Don't Go to Pieces (Ocasek/Greg Hawkes)
- Touch and Go
- Don't Tell Me No
- Shake It Up
- Since You're Gone
- I'm Not the One
- The Little Black Egg (Michael Stone)
- Funtime (David Bowie/Iggy Pop)
- You Might Think
- Hello Again
- Why Can't I Have You
- Tonight She Comes
- You Are the Girl
- Strap Me in
- Door to Door
- Leave or Stay
- Ta Ta Wayo Wayo
- Disc 1
- Tracks 1-6 are from The Cars
- Tracks 7-8 and 16 are previously unreleased
- Tracks 9-14 are from Candy-O
- Track 15 is an early demo, recorded between the first two albums
- Track 17 is the B side to "Let's Go"
- Tracks 18-19 are from Panorama
- Track 20 is the B side to "Don't Tell Me No"
- Disc 2
- Tracks 1-2 are from Panorama
- Tracks 3-6 are from Shake It Up
- Tracks 7-8 are previously unreleased
- Tracks 9-13 are from Heartbeat City
- Track 14 is the B side to "Why Can't I Have You"
- Track 15 is from Greatest Hits
- Tracks 16-18 are from Door to Door
- Tracks 19-20 are previously unreleased demos from 1977 (later re-recorded for Door to Door)
- Elliot Easton – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Greg Hawkes – keyboards, backing vocals
- Ric Ocasek – rhythm guitar, lead vocals on Disc One tracks: 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19; Disc Two tracks: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
- Benjamin Orr – bass guitar, lead vocals on Disc One tracks: 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 17, 20; Disc Two tracks: 2, 6, 8, 10
- David Robinson – drums, percussion
- Prato, Greg. "The Cars: Just What I Needed: The Cars Anthology". allmusic. Retrieved January 24, 2011.