Just for Laughs
|Just for Laughs|
"Victor", the Just for Laughs trademark mascot
|Location(s)||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Inaugurated||July 14, 1983|
Just for Laughs was founded in 1983 by Gilbert Rozon as a two-day Francophone event. In 1985, Andy Nulman joined the festival's staff and introduced Anglophone events as well; under Nulman's stewardship, the festival increased to a full month, with French-speaking performers during the first half, and English speakers in the second half. International and non-verbal acts (acrobats, pantomimes, etc.) are scattered throughout the program. In 1999, Nulman left the Festival’s full-time employ; however, he directed its major Gala Shows at the St. Denis Theatre every July, and remained on the Board of Directors of the Festival's parent company. After an 11 year absence, Andy Nulman returned to Just for Laughs in July 2010 as President of Festivals and Television.
Each day, street performers, "New Vaudevillians" and other acts both vocal and visual perform throughout the city, particularly in the "Latin Quarter" -- an area known for its theatres, cafés and boutique shopping. In the evenings, the nightclubs and live venue theatres offer special programs supporting the performers. Although Just for Laughs attracts spectators from around the world, many of those in the audience are talent scouts, booking agents, producers and managers from the entertainment industry. Performing at the festival is one of the biggest opportunities for undiscovered talent to showcase their act in front of industry professionals.
The Just for Laughs festival also has the Comedia comedy film festival component, which started in 1996. It gives awards for feature and short films. 2005, Comedia screened 125 short films from around the world as well as several feature length films.
In February 1994, the festival sponsored a splinter project in Hollywood, Florida. That coastal area is a favourite winter destination for Quebecers who head south to vacation in the warmer weather. The event, Juste Pour Rire - En Vacances (Just For Laughs - On Vacation), was held in the Young Circle Park, an outdoor venue with an urban park setting.
TV shows 
Just for Laughs has also been a launchpad for many US network television and sitcom careers, and is frequently featured as a foreign on-location highlight of late-night US network talk shows.
A TV show, also called Just For Laughs, features highlights from the festival, and it airs regularly on CBC Television, The Comedy Network and TVA. The show features performances from the festival and "canned bits" shot on location around Montreal, Canada. Several bits have been filmed in the United Kingdom. Many of these "bits" are visual gags that catch people off-guard or somehow surprise them as they go about their daily business.
The series has sister shows called Just for Laughs Gags, JFL: Improv Championships, All Access Pass, and JFL: The Lost Tapes.
During the summer of 2007, ABC aired episodes of Just for Laughs Gags. It consisted of two half-hour episodes, and aired mostly on Tuesdays from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm ET. The content and format was exactly the same as the Canadian counterpart, but was hosted by Rick Miller, who introduced each segment with a quirky pun. The show returned to the ABC lineup as a mid-season replacement on January 1, 2008. The series was initially not renewed after the half-season, but ABC reversed their decision. The third season of the show, titled simply Just for Laughs, began airing on June 21, 2009 at 7:00 pm ET.
See also 
- Culture of Quebec
- Television of Quebec
- List of Quebec television series
- List of Quebec comedians
- Just for Laughs Museum
- Just For Laughs - justforlaughs - Just For Laughs - ABC.com
- From The Futon Critic (December 14, 2007)
- ABC Announces Their 2008-09 Schedule. Who's Been Cancelled?
- Just for Laughs returns
- Official site of acts and tickets Montreal
- Just For Laughs' video portal
- Official CBC Website
- Just for Laughs at the Internet Movie Database
- Juste pour rire at the Internet Movie Database
- Just for Laughs: Montreal Comedy Festival at the Internet Movie Database
- Just for Laughs (Australian compilation TV show) at the Internet Movie Database
- Just for Laughs (Irish compilation TV show) at the Internet Movie Database
- Just for Laughs ASIN B000JO8Z2C
- Juste Pour Rire: Juste Le Meilleur des Galas 2005 ASIN B000CEORVW
- Juste Pour Rire: Juste le Meilleur des Galas 2006 ASIN B000S6OJBW
- Juste Pour Rire: Les Grands Moments - Volume 1 ASIN B000T39PKY
- Just for Laughs: Stand Up, Vol. 1 - Best of the Uptown Comics ASIN B000BD1LB8
- Just for Laughs: Stand Up, Vol. 2 - On the Edge ASIN B000C20VNC