Just the Way You Are (Bruno Mars song)
|"Just the Way You Are"|
|Single by Bruno Mars|
|from the album Doo-Wops & Hooligans|
|Released||July 20, 2010|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine, Khalil Walton, Khari Cain|
|Producer||The Smeezingtons, Needlz|
|Bruno Mars singles chronology|
"Just the Way You Are" is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Bruno Mars and is the lead single from his debut studio album, Doo-Wops & Hooligans (2010). The song was written by The Smeezingtons, Khalil Walton and Needlz and produced by The Smeezingtons, and Needlz. It was released in the United States on July 20, 2010. It has also received airplay from AOL Radio's New Pop First station. The track was added to Radio 1 A Playlist in the United Kingdom, and was released in the United Kingdom on September 19, 2010 as "Just the Way You Are (Amazing)".
The debut single received generally positive reviews from critics, who considered it a stand-out track on Doo-wops & Hooligans and praised The Smeezington's production. It won a Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance at the 2011 ceremony. The song peaked at number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 and Pop Songs charts and charted in the top five in other countries. It was certified 5 times Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and 6 times by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). Worldwide, it was the eighth best selling digital single of 2012 with sales of 12.2 million copies. So far, it has sold over 12.5 million copies worldwide becoming one of the best selling digital singles of all time.
The music video, directed by Ethan Lader, was released on September 8, 2010 and features Peruvian born Australian actress Nathalie Kelley. The official remix features rapper Lupe Fiasco and is included on the deluxe edition of Doo-Wops & Hooligans. Mars performed "Just The Way You Are" on his two concert tours: The Doo-Wops & Hooligans Tour (2010–2012) and The Moonshine Jungle Tour (2013-2014). The song has been covered by various recording artists.
- 1 Writing and production
- 2 Release
- 3 Composition and lyrical interpretation
- 4 Reception and accolades
- 5 Commercial performance
- 6 Music video
- 7 Live performances
- 8 Cover versions and remixes
- 9 Track listing
- 10 Credits and personnel
- 11 Charts
- 12 Chart precession and succession
- 13 Certifications
- 14 Radio and release history
- 15 Pierce the Veil version
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Writing and production
The song was written by The Smeezingtons, Khalil Walton, and Needlz. Bruno said of the song, "It took me months to come up with 'Just the Way You Are'... I wasn't thinking of anything deep or poetic. I was telling a story. Get ready to fall in love!" He added, "I'm a big fan of songs like Joe Cocker's 'You Are So Beautiful' and Eric Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight' - songs that go straight to the point. You know, there's no mind-boggling lyrics or twists in the story - they just come directly from the heart. And to me 'Just The Way You Are' is one of those songs. There's nothing mind-blowing about it. I'm just telling a woman she looks beautiful the way she IS - and, let's be honest, what woman doesn't wanna hear those lyrics?!" Mars' A&R Aaron Bay-Schuck told HitQuarters that as soon as "Just the Way You Are" was finished they knew they had the first single, saying:
"It had a massive chorus, an instantly memorable melody and lyric, and was a natural transition from the B.o.B and Travie McCoy songs ... [Also] it didn’t sound like anything else on the radio. It had everything we could want in a first single for Bruno."
Ari Levine explains: “Needlz had a track with a melody idea by Khalil Walton that was presented to us by one of the A&R guys. Bruno and Phil came up with the chorus, and then Needlz sent us the files and we replaced a bunch of sounds with our sounds and I programmed drums in the MPC, and we wrote the rest of the song. I never met Needlz or Walton". The song was supposed to be for Lupe Fiasco but at this point Bruno decided to keep it.
"Just the Way You Are" was Mixed at Larrabee Sound Studios in Hollywood by Manny Marroquin, while Christian Plata and Erik Madrid served as the assistant mixing. Ari Levine and Bruno Mars played all the instruments on the track and recorded them. Ari was also responsible for engineering the song at Levcon Studios in California. Stephen Marcussen mastered the song at Marcussen Mastering in California.
"Just The Way You Are" was released as the lead single from Doo-Wops & Hooligans. Elektra Records serviced the song to download in the United States on July 20, 2010. On November 2, seven remixes were released as a purchasable download in US. On September 19, 2010, the song was sent to United Kingdom to be released Mainstream Radio. It was released as a CD single in Germany on September 22. The single contains the album version of the song and the remixe by Skrillex Batboi. The single ended up by being released worldwide on November 25, 2010. On December 2, 2010, The Remixes - 12" Maxi was released in the UK and Denmark to promote the single and album.
Composition and lyrical interpretation
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Just The Way You Are" is a pop and R&B song with an instrumentation that features piano, keyboard sounds and breakbeat. The instruments are arranged into what critics described as a nicely with smooth, ballad vocals. Tim Byron of The Vine said the steeply rising melody at the start of the chorus introduces a little tension before defusing it with the, catchy tag of the chorus, which is simple and effective as a hook. The Guardian music reviewer, Paul Lester, describes the song as "fairly standard R&B pop, his vocal a breezy falsetto as characterless."
The song is in the Key of F Major and consists of the chords F, D-minor and B-Flat. Mars' vocal range spans from F4 to C6. Billboard critic Megan Vick called "Just The Way You Are" a feel-good jam, in which Mars' is able to take "to the next level" is dreamy soprano with a "breezy piano and vaguely hip-hop breakbeat". Leah Greenblatt of Entertainment Weekly labeled the song "sweetly smitten ballad". Nick Levin from Digital Spy describe it as an "instant classic feel to 'Empire State Of Mind'."  From The Guardian, Paul Lester says the lyrics are basically about "a girl Mars could "kiss all day"". The song has been compared to a U2 production by Jon Caramanica of The New York Times and by Andy Gill adding that he felt a "groove through R&B territory". Tim Sendra of allmusic called the debut single "lushly romantic". Scott Kara for the New Zealand Herald felt the song was a "ballad boogie".
Lyrically, the song is about Mars professing "his love for a beautiful girl who occupies his dreams". Megan Vick for Billboard carries on with her explanation "Mars professes his love..."When you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while/ 'Cause girl you're amazing, just the way you are." Mars' lyrics aim to make female listeners feel nothing short of perfect in their own skin. Tim Byron of The Vine said the song is effective – the repeated lines at the start of the verses are catchy. Consequence of Sound's Kevin Barber described the song "Mars sticks to the song’s name and insists that he wouldn’t want to change anything about his particular gal.You believe him, too. With an undeniably catchy chorus."
Reception and accolades
The song has been well received by music critics. Digital Spy's Nick Levine gave the song four out of five stars and described it as a "huge-hearted urbany piano ballad" and compared it to "Doesn't Mean Anything" by Alicia Keys: "with a similar sound but not quite as good as the Alicia Keys hit with its instant classic feel. In her review for Billboard, Megan Vick wrote: "Over a breezy piano and vaguely hip-hop breakbeat, Mars professes his love for a beautiful girl who occupies his dreams [...] Mars pens lyrics that aim to make female listeners feel nothing short of perfect in their own skin. With its steady, danceable pulse and singalong chorus, Mars has created a feel-good jam that should establish him as a solo contender in his own right." Nima Baniamer from Contactmusic.com felt that "there is nothing about the single that makes Bruno Mars stand out from all the other RnB artists dominating the charts at the moment", and said, "The song never builds to any climax and it simply falls a bit flat, coming across quite corny and cheesy."
On February 13, 2011, the song won the Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. The single was nominated for several awards at 2011 Billboard Music Awards, but it ended up by winning only the category Top Radio Song. It was nominated for Choice Music: Love Song at the 2011 Teen Choice Awards. In the same year, the single won Most Performed Song at ASCAP Pop Music Awards. In 2012, at the same award ceremony, it won, again, Most Performed Song and also Song of the Year.
"Just the Way You Are" has sold 12.5 million copies worldwide, becoming one of the best-selling singles of all time. In 2013, as a celebration of the chart's 55th Anniversary, Billboard counted down the 100 biggest Hot 100 hits ever, the song was ranked at 74. The song is also one of the UK's biggest selling singles of all-time placed at number 74 with sales around 1.17 million.
The song reached the top of the US Billboard Hot 100 on the chart dated October 2, 2010, ending the two-week reign of Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream". The song spent a total of 48 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100. By the end of December 2010, the song had sold over 3,280,000 digital copies in the US alone; and by November 2013, it has sold 6 million downloads. The song was certified five times platinum by the RIAA. The song jumped from 7 to 1 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart dated October 9, 2010.
On September 26, 2010, it became the singer's second number-one single in the United Kingdom, where it hit the number-one spot again on October 24, 2010  from sales of 116,000 copies becoming the first song ever to have left the top three before rebounding to the top spot. It sold 766,000 copies during 2010, becoming the third biggest seller of the year. On 2 January 2011 it was revealed that the song is the ninth most downloaded song of all time in the United Kingdom. On 2 August 2011 "Just The Way You Are" became the 108th million-selling single in the UK, it took 43 weeks to reach there. As of November 2012, the song has sold over 1,120,000 copies.
On October 12, 2010, Bruno Mars got his third number one single in the Dutch Top 40, after "Nothin' On You" and "Billionaire", and it reached the 11 weeks at the number one in the Netherlands on December 20. The song also reached number one in Australia and certified six times platinum by the Australian Recording Industry Association. The single debuted at number 31 in New Zealand on August 2, 2010. The song was number 1 for two weeks.The single was on the chart for 32 weeks.
It debuted at number 8 on the Italian Singles Chart on November 4, 2010. The sond ended up by peaking at number five, and it stayed on the chart for 1 weeks. It was less successful on the French Singles Chart, where it peaked at number 33 and stayed on the chart for 28 weeks. "Just The Way You Are" also peaked at number three in Switzerland, at number one in the Republic of Ireland and in the Netherlands, at number four in Belgium (Flanders), and at number 2 in Germany and Sweden. It reached number six at Denmark.
Development and synopsis
The corresponding music video was directed by Ethan Lander and was shot in September 2010 in the downtown of Los Angeles. The video features Peruvian-Australian actress Nathalie Kelley. Lander considers Bruno Mars a star. He adds "The charisma that he has, you can’t teach.” Finishing with "singer even manages to be suave in his mugshot, which is no small feat!" He sees the video as a collaboration, the video dicrector came up with the vision and Mars added his vision and son on. The video is a mixture of live action and stopped animation and through the animation Bruno shows his girlfriend how much beautiful she is. He takes a cassette tape and starts creating images out of the tape and they start to get a live of their own.
The video begins with Kelley listening to "Just the Way You Are" on her Walkman as Mars walks in. Mars stops the tape player, removes the cassette tape and begins singing his song. As the instrumental portion of the song begins, Mars pulls the media out of the cassette tape and arranges the media into letters forming his name followed by the song title. As the song continues, he forms a picture of a drum, again on the table, using the tape media. Additional images of similar construction follow throughout the video including a portrait of Mars as well as one of Kelley blinking her eyes and smiling as Mars continues singing. Most of the images shown are animated, including a bell which Mars rings with his fingers in synchronization with the chimes near the end of the song. Lastly, Mars finishes the song while singing and playing an upright piano while Kelley watches and smiles. The video was inspired by the artwork of Erika Iris Simmons.
It has received strong airplay on VH1 Europe, reaching #1 on the VH1 Pop Chart. At the 2011 MTV Video Music Aid Japan the music video won Best Male Video. In 2011, the video also received 3 nominations at the MuchMusic Video Awards. It won Favorite International Video at the MYX Music Awards. Durint the Channel [V] Thailand Music Video Awards received the award for Popular International Music Video.
Carolina Frost for the Huffington Post said that Mars at the 2012 Brit Awards "took his poptastic song Just the Way You Are, and gave it a fresh jazzy arrangement." While Tweeter David Quantick summed up his opinion, asking if "someone came as a spare Osmond". Others praised Mars' vocality and confidence with his soulful rendition. It was fifteenth on the set list of his second worldwide tour, The Moonshine Jungle Tour (2013).
Cover versions and remixes
"Just the Way You Are" was performed by Cory Monteith for the American TV show Glee on episode "Furt", which aired on November 22, 2010. It was also covered by Nathan Sykes from The Wanted, The Saturdays at BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge on October 29, 2010. Matt Cardle, the winner of the seventh series of British TV talent contest The X Factor, performed "Just the Way You Are" in week 2 of the live shows and later recorded his own version of the song as a B-side for his debut single "When We Collide". Tje Austin performed the song during his blind audition on the premiere episode of the American reality talent show The Voice, which was broadcast on April 26, 2011. The song is also a featured single on Kidz Bop 19. Parody rapper Rucka Rucka Ali used the instrumental for his song "Were All Asian". Stefano Langone covered the song on the 10th season of American Idol. Pierce The Veil have also made a cover which was featured on the album Punk Goes Pop 4, which was released on November 21, 2011. In the same year, 2011, Christian pop group Anthem Lights covered a version of Bruno Mars' song (there's an one-minute-thirty-two-second fan-video posted by Lisa and ever seen on You Tube as of now, containing the actor Leonard Nimoy's footages with this version instead of Bruno Mars' original one). In 2012, Dominican musician Karlos Rosé covered the song in bachata as his debut single which peaked at #1 on the Billboard Tropical Songs chart. Ukrainian post-hardcore band Make Me Famous also made a cover of the song, just like Japanese-British pop singer MiChi.
Following the release of the original version of the song came the remixes. Big Beat, a sublabel of Atlantic Records released these. Skrillex, Simon Steur and the Manufactured Superstars were among the names to remix the original version in to electronic dance music versions. These remixes did well in the clubs and on beatport.com, a leading legal download portal for EDM.
Credits and personnel
- Mixing and mastering
- Mixed at Larrabee Sound Studios, Hollywood, California; mastered at Marcussen Mastering, Hollywood, California; engineered at Levcon Studios, Hollywood, California.
- Songwriting – Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine, Khalil Walton, Needlz
- Production – The Smeezingtons, Needlz
- Mixing – Manny Marroquin
- Mixing assistant – Christian Plata, Erik Madrid
- Mastering - Stephen Marcussen
- Engineer – Ari Levine
- All instruments played by – Ari Levine, Bruno Mars
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Doo-Wops & Hooligans, Elektra Records
Chart precession and succession
"Start Without You" by Alexandra Burke (featuring Laza Morgan)
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
September 26, 2010
"Written in the Stars" by Tinie Tempah (featuring Eric Turner)
"Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
October 2, 2010 - October 23, 2010
"Like a G6" by Far East Movement (featuring The Cataracs and Dev)
"Only Girl (In the World)" by Rihanna
|RIANZ number-one single
October 4, 2010-October 11, 2010
"Something in the Water" by Brooke Fraser
"Written in the Stars" by Tinie Tempah (featuring Eric Turner)
|Irish Singles Chart number-one single
October 7, 2010 - October 21, 2010
"Promise This" by Cheryl Cole
"Only Girl (In the World)" by Rihanna
|Canadian Hot 100 number-one single
October 9, 2010 - October 30, 2010
"The Time (Dirty Bit)" by The Black Eyed Peas
"Bumpy Ride" by Mohombi
|Dutch Top 40 number-one single
October 16, 2010 - December 25, 2010
"Hello" by Martin Solveig (featuring Dragonette)
"Raise Your Glass" by Pink
|ARIA number-one single
October 25, 2010
"We R Who We R" by Ke$ha
"Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry
|Billboard Pop Songs number-one single
October 30, 2010 - November 13, 2010
"Just a Dream" by Nelly
"Oida Taunz!" by Trackshittaz
|Austria Top 40 number-one single
November 26, 2010
"Barbra Streisand" by Duck Sauce
"Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry
|Billboard Adult Pop Songs number-one single
November 27, 2010 - December 25, 2010
"Raise Your Glass" by Pink
"Oh Santa!" by Mariah Carey
|Billboard Adult Contemporary number-one single
February 5, 2011 - May 21, 2011
"Firework" by Katy Perry
|Australia (ARIA)||6× Platinum||420,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||15,000x|
|Canada (Music Canada)||5× Platinum||400,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Platinum||15,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||2× Platinum||30,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Platinum||20,000x|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||2× Platinum||1,200,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||6× Platinum||6,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Radio and release history
|United States||July 20, 2010||Contemporary, digital download||Elektra Records|
|United Kingdom||September 19, 2010||Mainstream Radio|
|Worldwide||September 20, 2010||CD single||Warner Music Group|
|Germany||September 22, 2010||CD single||Elektra Records|
|United States||November 2, 2010||Digital download||Warner Music Group|
|Worldwide||November 25, 2010||Digital download||Elektra Records|
|United Kingdom, Denmark||December 2, 2010||12" vinyl||Paragon Records|
|United States||December 12, 2010||12-inch single||Atlantic Records, Warner Music Group|
Pierce the Veil version
|"Just the Way You Are"|
|Single by Pierce the Veil|
|from the album Punk Goes Pop 4|
|Released||October 18, 2011|
|Genre||Experimental rock, alternative rock, pop punk|
|Pierce the Veil singles chronology|
- "Bruno Mars Unveils Eagerly Awaited Debut Album "DOO-WOPS & HOOLIGANS" Slated to Arrive October 5th; New Single "Just The Way You Are" Shaping Up as Massive Hit, With Top 3 Success on iTunes "Top Singles"; Sold-Out New York City Live Debut Set for Tonight, Followed by US Tour Alongside Maroon 5 in October" (Press release). Marketwire. August 25, 2010. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Doo-Wops & Hooligans (CD booklet). Bruno Mars. United States: 2-525393. 2010.
- Sara D Anderson (Jul 21st 2010). "Bruno Mars, 'Just the Way You Are' -- New Song". Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Introducing Bruno Mars". 4Music. September 5, 2010. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved September 26, 2010.
- Wete, Brad (September 8, 2010). "Bruno Mars wows his lady with cassette tape drawings in 'Just the Way You Are' video: Watch here". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- "Bruno Mars Soars to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart With Debut Single "Just The Way You Are"; Single Lands the Top Position on UK Midweek Chart; Elektra Artist Slated for October 9th Performance on Saturday Night Live; Dates Already Sold Out on First-Ever U.S. Headline Tour; "DOO-WOPS & HOOLIGANS," Arrives October 5th" (Press release). Marketwire. September 22, 2010. Retrieved October 1, 2010.
- "4Music.com meets Bruno Mars". 4Music. 2010-09-22. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Bruno Mars interview by Pete Lewis, 'Blues & Soul' October 2010". Bluesandsoul.com. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Interview with Aaron Bay-Schuck". HitQuarters. 13 Dec 2010. Retrieved 14 Dec 2010.
- Paul Tingen (June 2011). "Ari Levine & The Smeezingtons: Producing Bruno Mars". Sound on Sound. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- PacificRimVideoPress (February 12, 2012). "ASCAP Grammy Brunch - Bruno Mars Producer Needlz Interview". Youtube.com. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- "iTunes - Music - Just the Way You Are (Remixes) by Bruno Mars". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-11-02. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- "Just the Way You Are [2track]: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- "iTunes - Music - Just the Way You Are - Deluxe Single by Bruno Mars". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-10-25. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- "Danishcharts.com – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". Tracklisten. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- JRTheWriter (July 21, 2010). "Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are". DJbooth.net. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Bruno Mars Just the Way You Are – Digital Sheet Music". Musicnotes.com. Alfred Music Publishing. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Billboard Staff (August 6, 2010). "Bruno Mars, "Just the Way You Are". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Tim Byron (October 26, 2010). "Number Ones - Bruno Mars 'Just The Way You Are'". The Vine. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- Paul Lester (September 13, 2010). "Bruno Mars (No 865)". The Guardian. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- Leah Greenblatt (September 29, 2010). "Bruno Mars – Doo-Woops & Holigans (2010)". Entertainment Weekly. Time Warner. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Nick Levine (September 30, 2010). "Bruno Mars: 'Just The Way You Are'". Digital Spy. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Caramanica, Jon (October 5, 2010). "Bruno Mars in Ascension". The New York Times (The New York Times Company). Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- Gill, Andy (January 14, 2011). "Album: Bruno Mars, Doo-Wops & Hooligans (Elektra)". The Independent (London). Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Sendra, Tim. "allmusic ((( Doo-Wops & Hooligans > Overview )))". allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- Kara, Scott (November 27, 2010). "Album Review: Bruno Mars Doo-wops and Hooligans". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved November 29, 2010.
- Barber, Kevin (December 3, 2010). "Album Review: Bruno Mars – Doo-Wops & Hooligans". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- NickLevine (30 September 2010). "Music - Singles Review - Bruno Mars: 'Just The Way You Are' - Digital Spy". Digital Spy. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- Baniamer, Nima. "Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are Single Review". Contactmusic.com. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "Full 2011 Billboard Music Awards Finalists List". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Talarico, Brittany (June 28, 2010). "Teen Choice Awards 2010: ‘Twilight’ Leads with 9 Noms; ‘Glee’ & Bieber Trail Close Behind". OK!. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- "ASCAP Awards 2011 – Most Performed Songs". ASCAP. 27 April 2011. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- "ASCAP Awards 2012 – Most Performed Songs". ASCAP. 18 April 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Fred Bronson (July 24, 2013). "Hot 100 55th Anniversary: The All-Time Top 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Daniel Lane (June 27, 2013). "Daft Punk’s Get Lucky becomes one of the UK’s biggest selling singles of all-time!". Official Charts Company. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Silvio Pietroluongo (September 22, 2010). "Bruno Mars Lands Atop Hot 100, Rihanna Roars Into Top 10". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- Keith Caulfield (January 5, 2011). "Eminem's 'Recovery' Is 2010's Best-Selling Album; Katy Perry's 'California Gurls' Top Digital Song". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Grein, Paul (November 21, 2013). "Chart Watch: Lorde & Other Top Teens". Chart Watch. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "Radio 1 - The Official Chart with Reggie Yates - The Official UK Top 40 Singles Chart". BBC. 2011-10-30. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Record Breaking Kings Of Leon Reign Again *biggest first week album of". Theofficialcharts.com. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Cardle at No 1 again - Eminem/Rihanna & Take That scoop 2010 crowns". Theofficialcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Radio 1 - The Official Chart with Reggie Yates - Top 100 Downloads of All Time". BBC. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Bruno Mars Joins The One Million Sellers Elite". Theofficialcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- Ami Sedghi (4 November 2012). "UK's million-selling singles: the full list". Guardian. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "ARIA Accreditations 2013". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are". australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "Charts.org.nz – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Italiancharts.com – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". Top Digital Download. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Lescharts.com – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- "Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Bruno Mars search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Ultratop.be – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are". Charts.de. Media Control. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". Singles Top 60. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Bruno Mars - The Making Of 'Just The Way You Are'". Youtube.com. September 29, 2010. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Becky Bain (September 30, 2010). "Go Behind The Scenes Of Bruno Mars’ “Just The Way You Are”". Idolator. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Mariel Concepcion (September 8, 2010). "Bruno Mars Is Love-Struck In 'Just The Way You Are' Clip". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "VH1's Top 20 Countdown Season 9 Episode 45". tv.com. November 6, 2010. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- "「MTV VIDEO MUSIC AID JAPAN」視聴者投票による受賞作品を発表". MTV Japan. Retrieved 2011-07-02.
- Vlessing, Etan (May 17, 2011). "Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears Grab Canadian Music Video Award Nominations". MuchMusic. Retrieved Jul, 6 2011.
- "Yeng dominates myx music awrds 2011". Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- "Channel V day". Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Carolina Frost (February 21, 2012). "Brit Awards 2012: Performances Review: Adele, Coldplay, Blur, Ed Sheeran, Rihanna, Bruno Mars, Noel Gallagher". Huffington Post. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Shirley Halperin (July 28, 2013). "Bruno Mars Sprinkles Solid Gold Dust at L.A. Tour Stop (And We Love It): Concert Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "Glee performing Just the Way You Are". truebloodifi.com. 2010-11-22.
- Pehanick, Maggie (May 10, 2011). "'The Voice': Smooth crooner Tje Austin opens up about epic 'battles' and auditioning for 'Idol'". EW.com. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- Bruno Mars' "Just The Way You Are" (Anthem Lights' version with Leonard Nimoy's footages) on YouTube
- "Tropical Songs - Week of July 21, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012-07-21. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "Unsigned Buzz: Ukraine's Make Me Famous cover Bruno Mars' "Just The Way You Are"". indiestar.tv. Mainstream Killed the Indie Star. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "iTunes - Music - Just the Way You Are - Single by Bruno Mars". Itunes.apple.com. July 20, 2010. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- "Australian-charts.com – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved November 20, 2010.
- "Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Ultratop.be – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Bruno Mars Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Bruno Mars. Retrieved October 17, 2010.
- "Bruno Mars: Just the Way You Are" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- "Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest.
- "Bruno Mars Album & Song Chart History" Japan Hot 100 for Bruno Mars. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". VG-lista. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 20. Retrieved 2012-06-09.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: February 12, 2012 to February 18, 2012)". Gaon Chart. January 5, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Bruno Mars Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Bruno Mars. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Bruno Mars Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Bruno Mars.
- "Bruno Mars Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Bruno Mars.
- "Bruno Mars Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary Songs for Bruno Mars.
- "Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Latin Pop Songs for Bruno Mars.
- "Pop Rock". Record Report. 2010-11-06. Archived from the original on 2010-11-09.
- "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2010". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2010-01-09.
- Steffen Hung (December 24, 2010). "Jahreshitparade 2010". austriancharts.at. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- "FIMI - Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana - Ricerche e dati di mercato". Fimi.it. 2011-01-17. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "レコード協会調べ 2009年12月16日～2010年12月14日「着うたフル(R)」 2010年有料音楽配信「年間チャート」（通称：レコ協チャート）" [Record Association Analysis: December 16, 2009—December 14, 2010 Full-length Cellphone Download 2010 paid digital sales "Yearly Chart" (Abbreviated: RIAJ Chart)]. RIAJ. December 20, 2010. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- "Jaarlijst Nederlandse Top 40 van 2010: FMC Pop". Futuremusiccharts.nl. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- VIVA Single Jahrescharts 2010 - 2010 | Charts | VIVA.tv
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 2010" (in hungarian). Mahasz. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Topul celor mai difuzate piese în România în 2010" (in Romanian). România Liberă. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- Steffen Hung. "Schweizer Jahreshitparade 2010". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "2010 Year-end UK Singles". BBC (BBC Online). 2010-12-26. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "Best of 2010 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- "Best of 2010 - Pop Songs". Billboard.biz. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Best of 2010 - Adult Pop Songs". Billboard.biz. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Best of 2011 - Canadian Hot 100". Billboard.biz. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Album-Top 100". Hitlisten. IFPI Danmark& Nielsen Music Control. Archived from the original on 2012-01-23.
- "2011 MTV EMA - News". MTV.de. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 2011" (in hungarian). Mahasz. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Top Selling Singles of 2011 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. December 31, 201. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- Steffen Hung. "Schweizer Jahreshitparade 2011". hitparade.ch. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Best of 2011 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- "Best of 2011 - Pop Songs". Billboard.biz. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Best of 2011 - Adult Pop Songs". Billboard.biz. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Best of 2011 - Adult Contemporary Songs". Billboard.biz. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2013 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian single certifications – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Bruno Mars in the field Interpret. Enter Just the Way You Are in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2011" (in Dutch). Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Canadian single certifications – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". Music Canada.
- "Danish single certifications – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". IFPI Denmark.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Bruno Mars; 'Just the Way You Are')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Italian single certifications – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are" (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Select Online in the field Scegli la sezione. Select Week -- and Year ----. Enter Bruno Mars in the field Artista. Click Avvia la ricerca
- "NZ Singles Chart,14/2/2011". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Bruno Mars; 'Just the Way You Are')". Hung Medien.
- "British single certifications – Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved September 10, 2013. Enter Just The Way You Are in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American single certifications – Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Bruno Mars’ "Just The Way You Are" Gets Covered By Pierce The Veil: Idolator Premiere | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. 2011-10-17. Retrieved 2011-11-03.