Justin Haynes is a Canadian jazz guitarist and composer based in Toronto who specializes in long-form improvisation and composition. He plays electric and acoustic guitars, and other instruments, such as tenor banjo, soprano ukulele, mbira, and the melodica. He has recorded on non-guitar-related instruments as well, including the cello, piano, Fender Rhodes and organ. He has also written string arrangements for some music. President of the Nick Fraser fan club (1997–present).
"Haynes studied with Gary Peacock in N.Y.C. and Ralph Towner in Seattle." AllMusic states that he "...began appearing in a number of varied collaborations during the '90s", "most often ... with Tena Palmer (of the group Chelsea Bridge) and with trumpeter Kevin Turcotte."
In a November 1999 review, Jazz Times stated that in a "world of stretched-out solos and 10-minute cuts, Canadian guitarist/pianist/banjoist Justin Haynes keeps his original selections as short as their one- and two-word titles on this whimsical and atmospheric album." The review states that "there is a lushness on Haynes' tropical "Show"...[and] Cowboy rhythms make an amusing setting for "Lope Some."
Geoff Chapman from the Toronto Star states that Haynes formed a "talented duo of the innovative [Nick] Fraser on drums and tapes and the imaginative Haynes on guitar and sound processing." Chapman states that the duo produced "...a dozen artful tunes - moody and murky and madly-meandering - that tell a listener they're up to something, even if it's not always clear what it is. They're unlike others in this growing electronica field, delving into what might be a post-modern future."
- 2011: Bright Morning Stars, with The Wailin' Jennys; plays Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Electric), Ukulele
- 2011: Human Cry, with John Southworth, plays Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Electric), Piano
- 2011: Year Of The Boar,with AIMToronto Orchestra, composer
- 2010: The Garden, with Ruth Moody, string arrangements
- 2007: Champ, with Kim Barlow, composer
- 2006: I'm a Navv, with Barnyard Drama; composer, group member, guitar
- 2005: Nick Fraser & Justin Haynes Are Faking It, with Nick Fraser, Guitar
- 2003: Another Country, Another Country, plays guitar
- 2003: Scottish Bagpipes and Celtic Traditions, plays guitar (Electric)
- 2002: Live: Womad - Seattle, WA 07/01, plays Lappelectro, guitar, sampling
- 2001: Still, Leah State, plays Banjo, Fender Rhodes, guitar (Electric)
- 2000: Christmas in the Bush, Harvard University Choir, plays cello
- 1999: Get Together Weather, Jean Martin Trio, plays guitar
- 1999: The Piper's Legacy, Rob Crabtree, plays guitar (Electric)
- 1999:It's Only Life!, Blah Blah 666, composer
- 1999: Not Drowning Waving, Justin Haynes
- 1999: Out of Nowhere, The Bob Standard, plays guitar
- 1999: Soon the Birds, Oh Susanna, Guitar (Acoustic), ukulele
- 1999: Who's Breathing?, Ryan Driver, plays guitar, organ