Long at the Toronto International Film Festival, 2011
|Born||Justin Jacob Long
June 2, 1978
Fairfield, Connecticut, U.S.
|Alma mater||Vassar College|
Justin Jacob Long (born June 2, 1978) is an American actor, known for his roles in the films Jeepers Creepers, Galaxy Quest, Dodgeball, Accepted, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Live Free or Die Hard, for his role as Warren Cheswick on the NBC TV series Ed, and for his appearances with John Hodgman in TV commercials for Apple's "Get a Mac" advertising campaign.
Long, the middle of three brothers, was born in Fairfield, Connecticut. His father, Raymond James Long, is a Philosophy and Latin professor at Fairfield University, and his mother, Wendy Lesniak, of Polish descent, is a former actress who has mostly appeared on stage. One of his grandmothers is of Sicilian descent. Long had a conservative Roman Catholic upbringing. His older brother, Damian, is a local stage actor as well as a teacher and theatre director at Weston High School. Long attended Fairfield College Preparatory School, a Jesuit school, and Vassar College, where he was a member of the sketch comedy group Laughingstock and starred in several plays, including Butterflies Are Free. Long worked at Sacred Heart University as an acting instructor/counselor for a children's theater group.
Long's film credits include Idiocracy, Waiting..., Jeepers Creepers, DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story, The Break-Up, Crossroads, Galaxy Quest, Dreamland, Alvin and the Chipmunks and Live Free or Die Hard. He was also a regular on the NBC TV series Ed (2000–2004), playing socially awkward Warren Cheswick. He voiced the character of Alvin in Alvin and the Chipmunks, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, and played the main character in the 2006 comedy film Accepted.
Long made a guest appearance in the 2006 documentary, Wild West Comedy Show. In 2007, he co-starred with Bruce Willis as a "white-hat hacker" in Live Free or Die Hard and had a role in the film, The Sasquatch Dumpling Gang. Long is known for his depiction of a Mac in Apple's “Get a Mac” campaign. The campaign features commercials in which Long as a Mac and John Hodgman as a PC engage in playful banter about "the strengths of the Mac platform and weaknesses of the PC platform."
Long also had a small role in the 2008 comedy Zack and Miri Make a Porno, where he plays Brandon St. Randy, a gay porn star. In 2009, he starred in He's Just Not That into You along with co-star Ginnifer Goodwin and After.Life opposite Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci. He also provided the voice of Humphrey in Alpha and Omega (2010), starring with Hayden Panettiere. Also in 2010, Long starred in the comedy Going the Distance with Drew Barrymore. He was cast as a one-armed Civil War veteran in Robert Redford's The Conspirator.
Long read the audiobook version of Judy Blume's Then Again, Maybe I Won't and Stephen King's Everything's Eventual. From July 7–18, 2010, he appeared in a production of Samuel J. and K. at the Williamstown Theatre Festival. On August 16, 2010, he co-hosted WWE Raw with Going the Distance co-stars Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Long dated actress Drew Barrymore, but they confirmed their split in July 2008. The couple reunited in 2009 and co-starred in the 2010 film Going the Distance. They then reportedly split again in 2010. Since October 2013, he has been dating actress Amanda Seyfried.
|2000–04||Ed||Warren P. Cheswick||TV series|
|2001||Jeepers Creepers||Darry Jenner|
|2003||Jeepers Creepers 2||Darry Jenner|
|2004||Raising Genius||Hal Nestor|
|2004||Hair High||Dwayne||Voice role|
|2004||DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story||Justin|
|2004||Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie||Chris Harken|
|2005||Robin's Big Date||Robin||Short film|
|2005||Herbie: Fully Loaded||Kevin|
|2006||The Sasquatch Gang||Zerk Wilder|
|2006||That '70s Show||Andrew Davis||Episode: "Love of My Life"|
|2006||The Break-Up||Christopher Hirons|
|2006||Accepted||Bartleby “B” Gaines|
|2006–07||King of the Hill||Adam / Cashier||3 episodes|
|2007||Live Free or Die Hard||Matt Farrell|
|2007||Battle for Terra||Senn||Voice role|
|2007||Alvin and the Chipmunks||Alvin||Voice role|
|2007||Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story||George Harrison||Uncredited|
|2008||Just Add Water||Spoonie|
|2008||Zack and Miri Make a Porno||Brandon St. Randy|
|2008||Pineapple Express||Justin||Deleted scene|
|2009||He's Just Not That into You||Alex|
|2009||Taking Chances||Chase Revere|
|2009||Drag Me to Hell||Clay|
|2009||Planet 51||Lem||Voice role|
|2009||Old Dogs||Troop Leader Adam Devlin||Uncredited|
|2009||Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel||Alvin||Voice role|
|2010||Youth in Revolt||Paul Saunders|
|2010||Going the Distance||Garrett|
|2010||Alpha and Omega||Humphrey||Voice role|
|2011||The Conspirator||Nicholas Baker|
|2011||10 Years||Marty Burn|
|2011||Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked||Alvin||Voice role|
|2011||New Girl||Paul Genzlinger||4 episodes|
|2012||Unsupervised||Gary (voice)||TV series; 13 episodes|
|2012||For a Good Time, Call...||Jesse|
|2012||Best Man Down||Scott|
|2013||Mom||Adam||Episode: "A Small Nervous Meltdown and a Misplaced Fork"|
|2013||iSteve||Steve Jobs||Funny or Die original video|
|2013||A Case of You||Sam|
|2013||The Lookalike||Holt Mulligan|
|2013||Walking with Dinosaurs||Patchi||Voice role|
|2014||Undiscovered Gyrl||In post-production|
|2014||Veronica Mars||Drunken Wingman||In post-production|
|2014||Tusk||Wallace Bryton||In post-production|
- "Justin Long Bio". Young Hollywood. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Justin Long Interview, Die Hard 4 - MoviesOnline". Moviesonline.ca. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- Murray, Rebecca. "Justin Long Talks About The Sasquatch Dumpling Gang and Strange Wilderness". About.com. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- Topel, Fred (2006-08-14). "Interview: Justin Long". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 2010-03-22. "My family is Roman Catholic and kind of conservative..."
- "Q & A with Die Hard's Justin Long". Daily Mail. 2007-07-03. Retrieved 2010-10-19. "I grew up in a Catholic, conservative family"
- "Justin Long- Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "Mac Computer And Maggie Q For Die Hard 4". Cinemablend.com. 2006-09-22. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- McNamara, Mary. "Not Strictly Commercial". Los Angeles Times. July 23, 2006.
- Pics and Justin Long for Redford’s Conspirator (2009-10-16). "Pics and Justin Long for Redford’s Conspirator". News in Film. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- "''Samuel J. and K'' appearance". Wtfestival.org. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- "Raw Special Guest Stars - August 16, 2010: The Cast of 'Going the Distance'". Wwe.com. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- "Justin Long Takes Drew Barrymore Home to Meet the Parents". People. 2007-11-28. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- "Drew Barrymore and Justin Long end relationship". Fox News.com. 2008-07-08. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- "Drew Barrymore, Justin Long Back Together ... for a Movie". Us Weekly. 2009-03-31. Archived from the original on May 5, 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-31.
- Mogg, Trevor. "iSteve: Funny or Die to debut Steve Jobs comedy biopic starring Justin Long". Digital Trends. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Justin Long.|
- Justin Long at the Internet Movie Database
- Video interview with Justin Long at the premiere of The Break-Up