Justin Marks (baseball)
January 12, 1988 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|April 20, 2014 for the Kansas City Royals|
(through April 20, 2014)
|Earned run average||13.50|
The Boston Red Sox drafted Marks in the 37th round of the 2006 MLB Draft out of Owensboro Catholic High School in Owensboro, Kentucky, but he did not sign, opting to attend the University of Louisville, where he played college baseball for the Louisville Cardinals.
Kansas City Royals
The Royals acquired Marks and Vin Mazzaro from the Athletics for David DeJesus. After the 2012 season, he appeared in the Arizona Fall League and was added to the Royals' 40-man roster. Marks was selected for the Top Prospects Team by the AFL coaches and managers. Marks led the Arizona league with five wins while pitching for the Surprise Saguaros. During the short six-week season he went 5-1 over seven starts and a 2.59 ERA with 22 strikeouts and five walks. Marks spent most of the 2012 regular season with the Northwest Arkansas Naturals of the Class AA Texas League. He posted a 3-5 record with the Naturals with an ERA of 3.80 in 17 starts. Marks' season was interrupted however after a ball hit back to the pitcher fractured his right orbital bone.
The Royals promoted Marks from the Omaha Storm Chasers of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League to the major leagues on April 17, 2014. He made his debut with the Royals on April 20. He was designated for assignment on June 2, 2014.
Second stint with the Athletics
On June 20, 2014, Marks was claimed off waviers by the Texas Rangers after being outrighted off the A's 40 man roster.
- Dutton, Bob (November 20, 2012). "Royals overhaul roster, cutting seven, including Pena". Kansas City Star. Archived from the original on October 26, 2013. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Kaegel, Dick (November 26, 2012). "Marks named to AFL's Top Prospects Team". MLB.com. Retrieved November 28, 2012.
- Martin, Derek (April 17, 2014). "Royals place Cain on DL, recall Justin Marks". KMA FM/KMA AM. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "Hughes picks up win as Twins top Royals, 8-3". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 20, 2014. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "A's acquire LHP Justin Marks from Kansas City". Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. June 6, 2014. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "A's acquire minor league reliever Marks". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 6, 2014. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Louisville Cardinals bio