Paul was raised in Connecticut and attended Music Theatre of Connecticut School of Performing Arts in Westport, CT as well as Staples High School in Westport, CT. He graduated from the University of Michigan in December 2006 with a BFA in Musical Theatre.
He is the co-creator (with Benj Pasek) of the musical Edges. Also with Pasek, he is one of the songwriters for the Disney Channel show Johnny and the Sprites. Pasek and Paul won the prestigious Jonathan Larson Award in 2007. He also co-wrote and co-composed the musical Dogfight, which opened Off-Broadway in July 2012. He also composed the musical James and the Giant Peach with Benj Pasek.
- "Broadway World Bio" Broadwayworld.com
- "Pasek and Paul - Bio". pasekandpaul.com
- Jonathan Larson Foundation jlpaf.org
- "Jonathan Larson Awards". Broadwayworld.com, February 16, 2007
- Jones, Kenneth. "'Dogfight', New Musical About Cruelty and Hope, Opens in NYC; Lindsay Mendez and Derek Klena Star". Playbill, July 16, 2012