|Poore while playing for the Dragons in 2008|
26 January 1985 |
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
|Height||188 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||108 kg (17 st 0 lb)|
|2004–09||St. George Illawarra||128||5||0||0||20|
|2014–||Hull Kingston Rovers||7||0||0||0||0|
|2009||New South Wales||3||0||0||0||0|
Justin Poore (born 26 January 1985) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer for English club Hull Kingston Rovers of Super League. A New South Wales State of Origin representative forward, he previously played in Australia's NRL for the St. George Illawarra Dragons and Parramatta Eels before moving to England to play for the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.
Born in Perth, Western Australia, While attending Endeavour Sports High School in 2002, Poore was selected to play for the Australian Schoolboys team. Poore played his junior football for the Helensburgh Tigers before being signed by the St. George Illawarra Dragons.
Professional playing career
St. George Illawarra Dragons
In Round 1 of the 2004 NRL season Poore made his premiership debut for the Dragons against the Canberra Raiders. In August 2008, Poore was named in the 46-man Kangaroos preliminary squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup. After the 2008 NRL season, Poore and a group of NRL players led by former first-grader and ABC commentator Paul Osborne travelled to Rwanda on behalf of the Hope Rwanda charity, where they helped build 60 cement-rendered homes and a community hall. Poore planned to raise more money for the charity and travel to Rwanda again after the 2009 season.
In May 2009, Poore was selected for Country in the annual City vs Country match. In May 2009, Poore was named to make his Origin debut for New South Wales in the opening match of the 2009 State of Origin series in Melbourne, Victoria. He was one of only four New South Wales players who played in all 3 games of the 2009 series, the others being Jarryd Hayne, Kurt Gidley and Ben Creagh. Poore went to play 128 games with the Dragons before signing a 3-year contract with the Parramatta Eels starting in 2010.
Poore was forced to sit out for the majority of the 2011 NRL season due to a knee injury. He returned in Round 22. In October 2012, Poore signed a 2-year contract with the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats of the Super League starting in 2013.
Poore signed a 2 year deal with Hull Kingston Rovers in October 2013.
Hull Kingston Rovers
Poore commenced playing with Hull KR in the 2014 Super League season.
- "Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League". Sporting Pulse. Retrieved 10 October 2008.
- Liam FitzGibbon (1 August 2008). "Surprises in Kangaroos squad". "Fox Sports News (Australia)". Retrieved 2 August 2008.
- "Veteran Lockyer named in Australian squad". International Herald Tribune. 1 August 2008. Retrieved 2 August 2008.
- "Poore's African effort a life-changing experience". Illawarra Mercury. 28 January 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- Balym, Todd (3 May 2009). "Blues halfback duel in two as Mitchell Pearce misses selection". Fox Sports. Retrieved 3 May 2009.
- Fitzgibbon, Liam (25 May 2009). "NSW selectors go with form and not reputation for Origin opener". Fox Sports News (Australia). Retrieved 30 May 2009.