||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
|Born||Justin Michael Rosenstein
May 13, 1983
Alameda County, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Occupation||Software programmer, entrepreneur|
|Known for||Co-founder of Asana|
Rosenstein grew up in San Francisco Bay Area and attended The College Preparatory School in Oakland, CA. He was a successful high school Lincoln–Douglas debater. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics at Stanford University.
Rosenstein dropped out of a graduate program in computer science at Stanford University in 2004 to join Google as a software engineer. At Google, Rosenstein also worked as product manager for Google Page Creator. Page Creator was later restricted in sign ups to just 3 million users as new users were asked to use a new webpage publishing service by Google called Google Sites instead. Finally, to focus on Google Sites, all existing content on Page Creator was transferred to Google Sites in 2009. In 2006, he was working on a project code named Platypus.
In May 2007, he left Google for a lead engineer position at Facebook working closely with Mark Zuckerberg and Dustin Moskovitz. He was technical lead in charge of Facebook's Pages, Facebook's "Like" button, and was responsible for Facebook Beacon, the site's controversial advertising program that was terminated in a 2009 class-action lawsuit. He was compensated with 4,863,335 Class B shares ($341 million at $70/share), which he deposited into a trust.
In October 2008 Rosenstein left Facebook to co-found the collaborative software company Asana along with Dustin Moskovitz. Asana aims to facilitate interaction among individuals working in a team environment.
- "California Births, 1905 - 1995". Family Tree Legends. Retrieved October 3, 2014.
- "Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz leaves for start-up" Los Angeles Times, 3 October 2008
- "After IPO, Facebook Gets Serious About Making Money". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 3, 2014.
- "Insider Perspectives: Ex-Googler Justin Rosenstein on Making the Jump to Facebook" Inside Facebook, 9 July 2007
- "Justin Rosenstein" CrunchBase no date.
- Google Page Creator
- List of Google products
- UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION, REGISTRATION STATEMENT, Facebook, Inc.
- Discussion of strategies and tactics for developing entrepreneurship skills and leadership abilities, and building an effective corporate culture for a small company (2013-05-08), Stanford Entrepreneurship Corner