Schultz in February 2015.
July 6, 1990 |
Kelowna, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||196 lb (89 kg; 14 st 0 lb)|
|NHL team||Edmonton Oilers|
|NHL Draft||43rd overall, 2008
|Competitor for Canada West|
|World Junior A Challenge|
Justin Schultz (born July 6, 1990) is a Canadian ice hockey defenceman. He is currently playing with the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Schultz was born in Kelowna, British Columbia, but grew up in Westbank, British Columbia.
Schultz played collegiate hockey for the University of Wisconsin Badgers which competes in the WCHA. He was selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round (43rd overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Drafted by the Anaheim Ducks, Schultz was unable to come to terms on a contract with the team. During the last week of May, 2012, Schultz officially "de-registered" from the University of Wisconsin triggering a process that made him an unrestricted free agent (UFA). According to league rules, from the time Anaheim was given notice of the de-registration from school, they had a 30-day exclusive window to try to sign him or trade him. Anaheim was ultimately unable to sign him. On June 30, 2012, Schultz agreed to a two year entry-level contract with the Edmonton Oilers.
Schultz played the first 34 games of his professional career in the AHL while recording 48 points in 34 games, leading all defencemen in scoring.
Schultz later played his first NHL game in the first Oilers game following the 2012–13 NHL lockout against the Vancouver Canucks. He scored his first goal during the next game, the Oilers' home opener, against Antti Niemi of the San Jose Sharks.
On August 28, 2014, Schultz signed a new one-year contract with the Edmonton Oilers valued at $3.675 million.
Regular season and playoffs
|2009–10||University of Wisconsin||WCHA||43||6||16||22||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||University of Wisconsin||WCHA||41||18||29||47||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||University of Wisconsin||WCHA||37||16||28||44||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Oklahoma City Barons||AHL||34||18||30||48||6||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|All-WCHA Rookie Team||2009–10|
|All-WCHA First Team||2010–11|
|WCHA Defensive Player of the Year||2010–11|
|AHCA West First-Team All-American||2010–11|
|All-WCHA First Team||2011–12|
|WCHA Defensive Player of the Year||2011–12|
|AHCA West First-Team All-American||2011–12|
|CCM/AHL Player of the Week (Ending Oct 21)||2012–13|
|CCM/AHL Player of the Month (Oct 2012)||2012–13|
|CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month (Nov 2012)||2012–13|
|AHL Defenseman of the Year||2012–13|
|NHL All-Rookie Team||2012–13|
- "Oilers agree to terms with highly sought-after free agent, Justin Schultz". Edmonton Oilers. June 30, 2012.
- NHL Boxscore
- "Loaded with potential, Schultz signs with Oilers for important season". Edmonton Oilers. August 28, 2014.
- "Matt Frattin, Jake Gardiner Named To All-WCHA Teams". Toronto Maple Leafs. 2011-04-15. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Schultz to make decision on Saturday". National Hockey League. 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "Patterson, Bjugstad named to all-WCHA first team". Minnesota Star Tribune. 2012-04-05. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Baron's Schultz Named Player of the Week". American Hockey League. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Schultz Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month". American Hockey League. 2012-11-01. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "Schultz Named Top Rookie for November". American Hockey League. 2012-12-03. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "Schultz captures AHL's Eddie Shore Award". American Hockey League. 2013-04-17.
- "Habs' Gallagher, Oilers' Schultz named to NHL All-Rookie team". TSN. 2013-06-29.