Theroux at the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival
August 10, 1971 |
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Alma mater||Bennington College|
|Occupation||Actor, director, screenwriter|
|Partner(s)||Jennifer Aniston (2011–present)|
|Parents||Eugene Theroux, Phyllis Grissim|
Justin Paul Theroux (born August 10, 1971) is an American actor, director and screenwriter. He is best known for his work with film director David Lynch, appearing in two of his films, Mulholland Drive (2001) and Inland Empire (2006). He is also known as a screenwriter for films such as Tropic Thunder, Iron Man 2, and Rock of Ages. Theroux has been announced as the director of Zoolander 2.
Theroux was born in Washington, D.C. His mother, Phyllis (née Grissim), is a journalist and author who worked for The Washington Post, and his father, Eugene Theroux, is a corporate lawyer. Theroux is the nephew of the travel writer and novelist Paul Theroux, novelist and poet Alexander Theroux, author Peter Theroux, and novelist and educator Joseph Theroux; he is the cousin of British journalists and documentary filmmakers Louis and Marcel Theroux. His father is of half French Canadian and half Italian descent. Through his mother, Theroux is a great-great-grandson of financier, banker and railroad magnate H. B. Hollins, and of music critic and author Gustav Kobbé.
Theroux attended Lafayette Elementary School in Washington, D.C. for K-6. He then went to Annunciation School for 7th grade, The Field School for 8th grade, before he transferred to Buxton School where he began his acting training. He graduated from Bennington College in 1993 with a B.A. in visual arts and drama.
Theroux made his film debut in 1996 in Mary Harron's I Shot Andy Warhol. Since then, he has performed both on Broadway, starring in Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme; in numerous off-Broadway productions; and in comedy films such as Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, The Baxter, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, Broken Hearts Club, and Zoolander.
He has also performed in more serious films such as American Psycho. He appeared in the film versions of the cult television shows Strangers With Candy and Michael Mann's Miami Vice. He starred in David Lynch's films Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.
In 2003, he was featured in a music video for the British band Muse for their song "Hysteria". Theroux also has appeared on television, having starred in The District and appeared on episodes of shows such as Alias, Ally McBeal, Sex and the City (in which he guest starred in two episodes as different characters), and Six Feet Under (in which he played a recurring character in the third and fourth seasons).
In 2006, he directed his first film, Dedication, which premiered at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. A fan of the band Deerhoof, Theroux chose them to score Dedication. Theroux also had roles in two other films at the festival, Broken English and The Ten, in which he played Jesus Christ alongside Gretchen Mol. Theroux co-wrote the Ben Stiller-directed Oscar-nominated film Tropic Thunder, and also appeared in the behind-the-scenes mockumentary Tropic Thunder: Rain of Madness.
In 2008, Theroux played John Hancock in the HBO miniseries John Adams. In 2009, Theroux made up part of the voice cast for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. He also played Justin in Parks and Recreation. Theroux wrote the screenplay for the 2010 film Iron Man 2. Following Theroux's work on Tropic Thunder, actor Robert Downey, Jr. recommended Theroux as a screenwriter to the film's director, Jon Favreau. Theroux returned to acting in the film Your Highness (2011), as Leezar, an evil wizard who kidnaps a princess. He starred in the 2012 comedy Wanderlust, playing the leader of a hippie commune. In 2010, Theroux was announced to write and direct a proposed sequel to the 2001 film Zoolander. He is directing and rewriting the script for the upcoming 2013 movie Swear to God with Steve Carell and Will Ferrel as the leads. In June 2013, it was announced that he would be the lead character in HBO's TV pilot The Leftovers.
|1996||I Shot Andy Warhol||Mark||Film debut|
|1997||Dream House||Mark Brooks|
|1997||Below Utopia||Daniel Beckett|
|1997||Romy and Michele's High School Reunion||Clarence the Cowboy|
|1998||Frogs for Snakes||Flav Santana|
|2000||American Psycho||Timothy Bryce|
|2000||The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy||Marshall|
|2001||Mulholland Dr.||Adam Kesher|
|2001||The Sleepy Time Gal||Rebecca's Boyfriend|
|2003||Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle||Seamus O'Grady|
|2005||Strangers with Candy||Carlo Honklin|
|2005||The Baxter||Bradley Lake|
|2006||The Legend of Lucy Keyes||Guy Cooley|
|2006||Return to Rajapur||Jeremy Reardon|
|2006||Miami Vice||Detective Larry Zito|
|2006||Inland Empire||Devon Berk/Billy Side|
|2007||Broken English||Nick Gable|
|2007||The Ten||Jesus H. Christ|
|2008||Dedication||Lawyer on phone||Director and executive producer|
|2008||Tropic Thunder||DJ at Party scene||Screenplay, story, and executive producer|
|2010||Iron Man 2||Screenplay|
|2010||Megamind||Megamind's Father (voice)||Also executive producer|
|2012||Rock of Ages||Screenplay|
|1997||Central Park West||Gary Andrews||1 episode|
|1998||Spin City||Pete||1 episode|
|????||New York Undercover||Frankie Stone||3 episodes|
|1998||Ally McBeal||Raymond Brown||1 episode|
|1998–1999||Sex and the City||Jared/Vaughn Wysel||2 episodes|
|1999||Sirens||Officer David Bontempo||(TV movie)|
|2000–2001||The District||Nick Pierce||27 episodes|
|2003||Alias||Simon Walker||2 episodes|
|2003–2004||Six Feet Under||Joe||8 episodes|
|2005||Confessions of a Dog||(TV movie)|
|2008||John Adams||John Hancock||(TV mini-series)|
|2010||Parks and Recreation||Justin Anderson||4 episodes|
|2011||Documental||Jan Jurgen||Television movie|
|TBA||The Leftovers||Kevin Garvey||TV pilot|
- [clarification needed] Staff (December 20, 2011). "Jennifer Aniston y Justin Theroux gastan una fortuna para celebrar su amor" (in Spanish). cinequo.com. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Jordan, Julie (August 12, 2012). "Jennifer Aniston Is Engaged to Justin Theroux!". People. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- Arnold, Gary (October 12, 2001). "Smoke and Mirrors". The Washington Post (via Davidlynch.de). Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Hines, Barbara Boehmcharlie Reillyalexander Therouxarthur (September 14, 1980). "Letters – Lowells and Sitwells Questions of Gender The Wrong Theroux Cats" (title abstract only). The New York Times. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Marchand, Philip (November 21, 1998). "Odd Authors? It Takes One to Know One" (abstract). Toronto Star (via ProQuest Archiver). Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Staff (undated). "Biography". Paultheroux.com. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Staff (undated). "HollinsGrissim" (title abstract only). The New York Times. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- [page needed] Staff (2011). Contemporary Authors New Revision Series – A Bio-Bibliographical Guide to Current Writers in Fiction, General Non-Fiction, Poetry, Journalism, Drama, Motion Pictures, Television, & Other Fields. Gale Group (via Google Books). ISBN 978-1-414-46106-9. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Staff (November 5, 1937). "Mrs.Hollins Web in Reno – Daughter of Mrs. Gustav Kobbe Is Bride of Henry Morgan" (abstract). The New York Times. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Staff (October 23, 1909). "Hewlett – Schoonmacher Wedding" (abstract (click "preview" for full article in PDF format; Adobe Reader required)). The New York Times. Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- Staff (November 19, 1909). "Marriage Announcement 1 – No Title" (abstract (click "preview" for full article in PDF format; Adobe Reader required)). The New York Times. Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- Chaney, Jen (May 5, 2010). "Talking with Justin Theroux, Writer of 'Iron Man 2'". Celebritology 2.0 (blog of The Washington Post). Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- Staff (August 21, 2007). "Excl: Justin Theroux Has Dedication". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- Database (undated). "Tropic Thunder: Rain of Madness". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- "Justin Theroux to Co-Write and Direct 'Zoolander 2'". Collider.com. February 24, 2010. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- "Justin Theroux To Helm 'Swear To God' With Will Ferrell And Steve Carell". Deadline.com. August 9, 2012. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- West, Kelly (June 4, 2013). "Damon Lindelof's HBO Pilot The Leftovers Casts Justin Theroux". cinemablend.com. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Jordan, Julie (August 12, 2012). "Jennifer Aniston Is Engaged to Justin Theroux!". People. Time Inc. Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- Justin Theroux at the Internet Broadway Database
- Justin Theroux at the Internet Movie Database
- Justin Theroux at the Internet Off-Broadway Database