Justin Wilson (baseball)
|Pittsburgh Pirates – No. 37|
August 18, 1987 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|August 20, 2012 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through August 11, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.06|
High school and college
Wilson attended Buchanan High School in Clovis, California. Out of high school, the Los Angeles Dodgers drafted Wilson in 37th round (1126th overall) of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft, but he did not sign, opting to enroll at Fresno State University, where he played college baseball for the Fresno State Bulldogs baseball team. In his junior season, Wilson was named to the College World Series All-Tournament Team, as Fresno State won the 2008 College World Series.
Professional baseball career
In 2009, he played for the Lynchburg Hillcats. In 2010, he played for the Altoona Curve. In 2011, he played for the Indianapolis Indians. The Pirates added him to their 40 man roster after the 2011 season to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.
On April 29, 2012, pitching for the Indianapolis Indians against the Durham Bulls, Wilson pitched the first 7 1/3 innings of a combined no-hitter, finished off by Jose Diaz and Doug Slaten. “It was pretty awesome,” Wilson said after the game. “Great for Jumbo (Jose Diaz) to come in and not give up a hit. And Doug (Slaten) as well. Great defense all around. Outstanding play to end the game, it was an awesome play. And then José Morales behind the plate was just outstanding tonight.” On leaving the game with a no-hitter, Wilson said: “It was tough, but you’ve got to trust your manager.”“He was making the call on what he thought, which was totally okay with me. Totally understandable. I respect him, and understand what he was doing.” With two outs in the ninth inning, Reid Brignac sent a slow rolling check swing to second base, then Anderson Hernández ranged in, bare handed the ball, and made the flip to first base to complete the no-hitter. On August 9, 2012, pitching for the Indianapolis Indians, Wilson pitched his second no-hitter of the 2012 season, an eight inning, complete game no-hitter against the Charlotte Knights (rain ended the game in the eighth inning). Wilson was promoted to the Pittsburgh Pirates on August 20, 2012. Wilson made his major league debut the same day, pitching 1 scoreless inning, with 3 strikeouts.
- "Buchanan High lefty says he'll join 'Dogs ...". Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "Results good enough for Wilson, 'Dogs ...". Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "Bulldogs double up in baseball's draft". Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Brink, Bill (November 19, 2011). "Six minor leaguers join Pirates 40-man roster". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Williams, Tim (April 29, 2012). "Justin Wilson Leads Combined No Hitter For Indianapolis".
- Williams, Tim (August 9, 2012). "Justin Wilson Throws Second No Hitter of the 2012 Season".
- Zinni, Nancy (August 10, 2012). "Justin Wilson Throws an Eight Inning No-Hitter".
- Janes, Chelsea (August 20, 2012). "Pirates recall McPherson, Wilson".
Income statistics from: NetWorthSoup
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)