Early life and education
Koether's paintings are exercises in color, line, form and pattern and often feature text. Her style has precedent in the work of Sigmar Polke and Kenny Scharf. She is also inspired by artists and intellectuals who have created an alternative to mainstream culture, including underground filmmaker Kenneth Anger and musician Patti Smith.
For much of the 1990s, she mixed graffiti-inspired brushwork, fluorescent colors (especially bright pink), fragmented images and assorted quotations on surfaces that had a vibrant, all-over undergrowth. Her solo show at Pat Hearn Gallery, New York, in 1997 featured a soundtrack by the artist, accompanied by Tom Verlaine. Her visionary work, according to The New York Times art critic Roberta Smith, sees painting as multipurpose. She has collaborated with Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon on a number of projects, for example Her Noise at Tate Modern in 2005.
In spring 2012, Koether took part in the three month exposition of Whitney Biennial. Around that time, she conceived two large series of works that respond directly to the French artist Nicolas Poussin, a reinterpretation of his The Seven Sacraments reimagined as a series of installations, and Seasons (2012), a response to Poussin’s The Four Seasons.
- The Double Session, Campoli Preston, London
- Seasons and Sacraments, Arnolfini, Bristol, United Kingdom
- Seasons and Sacraments, Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee, United Kingdom
- The Fifth Season, Bortolami Gallery, New York
- Mad Gardland, Campoli Presti, Paris
- The Thirst, Moderna Museet, Stockholm
- Berliner Schlussel, Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Berlin
- Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven
- Lux Interior, Reena Spaulings Fine Art, New York
- Sovereign Women in Painting, Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects, Los Angeles
- New Yorker Fenster, Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Koln
- No.5, Kunsthall Landmark, Bergen
- JXXXA LEIBHAFTIGE MALEREI, Sutton Lane, Paris
- Touch and Resist, Song Song, Wien
- Galerie Francesca Pia, Zurich
- Anderungen aller Art, Kunsthalle Bern, Bern
- Love In a Void, Akademie der Bildenden Künste, Vienna
- Metalist Moment, Performance, Herald St, London
- Very Lost Highway, Simultanhalle, Köln
- extreme harsh, Ausstellungsraum Ursula Werz, Tübingen
- I Is Had Gone, Thomas Erben Gallery, New York
- Her Noise, South London Gallery, London
- Blankness is not a Void, Standard Oslo, Oslo
- Kim Gordon and Jutta Koether, Talk and Performance at Tate Modern, London
- Curious Crystals of Unusual Purity, P.S.1 Institute for Contemporary Art, New York
- Fresh Aufhebung - Künstlerisches Interesse am philosphisch verneinten Wunderglauben, Kölnischer Kunstverein, Köln
- Galerie Meerrettich, Berlin
- Fresh Aufhebung, 271 Grand Street, New York
- Desire Is War, Galerie Meerrettich, Berlin
- The Club in the Shadow, in collaboration with Kim Gordon, Kenny Schachter conTEMPorary, New York
- Black Bonds, Jutta Koether and Steven Parrino, Swiss Institute, New York
- Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Koln
- Galerie Daniel Buchholz, Koln
- zur grunen schenke-funf nachmittags. die geheimen Bilder, Galerie Freund, Wien
Brushholder Value, Westfälischer Kunstverein, Münster
Dysfunction USA, Arthur Rogers Gallery, New Orleans
Parralax View: Cologne-New York, P.S. 1 Institute for Contemporary Art, New York
Werkschau Jutta Koether, Kunstraum Stuttgart, Stuttgart
- Jutta Koether: Seasons and Sacraments, 9 February 2013 - 21 April 2013 Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee.
- Roberta Smith (June 4, 1993), Art Review: Jutta Koether New York Times.
- Jutta Koether – The Thirst, 5 March, 2011 - 24 April, 2011 Moderna Museet, Stockholm.
- Roberta Smith (April 15, 2005), Art in Review; Jutta Koether New York Times.
- William McCollum, ArtNet.com
- Roberta Smith, "Art in Review; Jutta Koether," NY Times
- Holly Myers (August 18, 2006), A message in the starkness Los Angeles Times.
- Roberta Smith (March 1, 2012). "A Survey of a Different Color 2012 Whitney Biennial". NY Times. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- Jutta Koether: Seasons and Sacraments, 4 May 2013 to 7 July 2013 Arnolfini, Bristol.
- Jutta Koether on ArtFacts.Net
- Images, biography and texts from the Saatchi Gallery
- Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects; Jutta Koether Biographie, Pressemitteilungen und Arbeiten General information on Jutta Koether
- Martin Pesch: Jutta Koether at Galerie Daniel Bucholz (Review)