|Population||1,673 (Dec 2013)|
|- Density||342 /km2 (886 /sq mi)|
|Area||4.89 km2 (1.89 sq mi)|
|Elevation||425 m (1,394 ft)|
|Surrounded by||Bellikon, Eggenwil, Fischbach-Göslikon, Niederwil, Remetschwil, Stetten|
Künten is a municipality in the district of Baden in the canton of Aargau in Switzerland. It lies on the Reuss River and includes the previously independent community of Sulz, which merged with Künten in 1973.
Künten is first mentioned around 1101-50 as Chünten though this comes from a 14th Century copy of the original document.
Künten has an area, as of 2006[update], of 4.9 km2 (1.9 sq mi). Of this area, 56.3% is used for agricultural purposes, while 26.9% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 12.7% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (4.1%) is non-productive (rivers or lakes).
Coat of arms
Künten has a population (as of 31 December 2013) of 1,673. As of 2008[update], 13.7% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 5.7%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (93.1%), with Albanian being second most common ( 1.5%) and Turkish being third ( 0.9%).
The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Künten is; 169 children or 10.5% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 210 teenagers or 13.0% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 207 people or 12.8% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 210 people or 13.0% are between 30 and 39, 309 people or 19.1% are between 40 and 49, and 222 people or 13.7% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 167 people or 10.3% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 81 people or 5.0% are between 70 and 79, there are 36 people or 2.2% who are between 80 and 89,and there are 4 people or 0.2% who are 90 and older.
As of 2000[update], there were 34 homes with 1 or 2 persons in the household, 199 homes with 3 or 4 persons in the household, and 294 homes with 5 or more persons in the household. The average number of people per household was 2.71 individuals. In 2008[update] there were 316 single family homes (or 48.8% of the total) out of a total of 648 homes and apartments.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Künten about 78.6% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the school age population (in the 2008/2009 school year[update]), there are 123 students attending primary school, there are 55 students attending secondary school in the municipality.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Heritage sites of national significance
As of 2007[update], Künten had an unemployment rate of 1.33%. As of 2005[update], there were 48 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 17 businesses involved in this sector. 155 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 14 businesses in this sector. 120 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 37 businesses in this sector.
As of 2000[update] there was a total of 825 workers who lived in the municipality. Of these, 649 or about 78.7% of the residents worked outside Künten while 131 people commuted into the municipality for work. There were a total of 307 jobs (of at least 6 hours per week) in the municipality.
From the 2000 census[update], 891 or 60.0% are Roman Catholic, while 346 or 23.3% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there are 4 individuals (or about 0.27% of the population) who belong to the Christian Catholic faith.
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 18 August 2014
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Künten in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 8 February 2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 8 February 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bereich 01 -Bevölkerung (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bevölkerungsdaten für den Kanton Aargau und die Gemeinden (Archiv) (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau - Aargauer Zahlen 2009 (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau (German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance 21.11.2008 version, (German) accessed 8 February 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau-Bereich 11 Verkehr und Nachrichtenwesen (German) accessed 21 January 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Künten.|