|IATA: KCZ – ICAO: RJOK|
|Owner||Government of Japan|
|Location||Nankoku, Kōchi, Japan|
|Elevation AMSL||29 ft / 9 m|
|Source: Japanese AIP at AIS Japan|
Kōchi Airport (高知空港) (IATA: KCZ, ICAO: RJOK), also known as Kōchi Ryōma Airport (高知龍馬空港), is a regional airport in Nankoku, a city in Kōchi Prefecture of Japan. It is located on the southeastern coast, 7 NM (13 km; 8.1 mi) east of the city of Kōchi.
The 120 ha (297 acres) airport has a single runway handling small to medium size aircraft. The 10,900 m2 (117,327 sq ft) two story terminal building is located to the north side of the runway. The arrivals level is on the first floor and departures on the second. There are 14 retail stores in the small terminal building. There is an observation deck on the third floor of the building. Transportation from the airport is by car, taxi or bus.
Kōchi Airport was originally built in 1944 as Kōchi Airfield for the Imperial Japanese Navy and from 1945 to 1952 the airport was under command of US forces. The airfield became a civilian airport in 1952 and first flights started operating in 1954.
The runway was expanded in 1960 and 1980 and later to 2,500 metres (8,202 ft) to handle larger aircraft.
- 2,400,000 passengers annually (1,932,000 in 2000)
- 6,850 long tons (6,960 t) of cargo annually (2000)
- 13,500 landings annually (2000)
- 3 gates handling 37 aircraft
Airlines and destinations
|All Nippon Airways||Osaka-Itami, Tokyo-Haneda|
|All Nippon Airways operated by ANA Wings||Osaka-Itami|
|Far Eastern Air Transport||Seasonal Charter: Taipei-Taoyuan|
|Japan Airlines||Fukuoka, Tokyo-Haneda|
Incidents and accidents
On 13 March 2007, All Nippon Airways Flight 1603, a Bombardier Dash 8, bound from Osaka to Kōchi, landed safely at the Kochi Airport after the front wheel of the plane failed to deploy. As a result, ANA's fleet of thirteen Bombardier DHC-8 aircraft were grounded for emergency inspections.
- AIS Japan
- "Japan's Kochi airport named after samurai with six-shooter", ThingsAsian.com, 2003-11-16.
- FAT opens charter to Kochi, Shonai and Kitakyushu
- Japanese airline grounds Bombardier fleet after plane makes emergency landing - All News Radio online - Obtained March 14, 2007.
- Kōchi Airport (Japanese)
- Kōchi Airport Guide from Japan Airlines
- Current weather for RJOK at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for KCZ at Aviation Safety Network