K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research (SIMSR)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
|K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research (SIMSR)|
|Type||Education and Research Institution|
Padmabhushan Shri Karamshi Jethabhai Somaiya, an entrepreneur and philanthropist, established Somaiya VidyaVihar in 1959, with a vision to serve the education needs of the society at an affordable cost. Somaiya Vidyavihar, spread over 72 acres (290,000 m2) of green land, is home to faculties such as Management, Engineering, Humanities, Science, Commerce, Biotechnology, Information Technology, Journalism & Mass Communication, Linguistics and Religion.
K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research was established in 1981 as a part of K. J. Somaiya Trust and Somaiya Vidyavihar with the objective of providing state-of-the-art education in management and allied areas.
The institute was inaugurated by Dr. Manmohan Singh, the ex-prime minister of India, and has since established itself among the top B-Schools in India.
Shri Somaiya believed that independent India should provide equal education opportunities to every eligible Indian. A man of great foresight, he founded the Somaiya Vidyavihar, which today is a mini university comprising 33 educational institutions in the heart of Mumbai, over 2600 teaching/non-teaching staff and catering to the needs of nearly 32000 students. 
SIMSR's infrastructure includes air-conditioned classrooms and discussion rooms, a large library, a seminar hall, an audio-visual (AV) room, a well-equipped computer lab, MDP Centre, auditorium and conference centre, and a well-equipped hostel for boys and girls. It is located on a 55-acre (220,000 m2) plot in the central suburbs of Mumbai.
The institute has facilities for sports, several foreign languages, yoga and other sports and recreational facilities which contribute to the all round development of future managers.
SIMSR is consistently rated amongst the top B-Schools in India and Businessworld-Synovate rated the institute to be amongst top 10 B-Schools in India in 2011.
"Old is gold may be a hackneyed phrase, but it rings so true in several aspects of life, particularly education. So it is no surprise that the Six of the top 10 — IIM-A, IIM-C, XLRI, National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai, K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai, and Narsee Monji Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai — are among India’s oldest B-schools, all established before 1981."
The Institute has forged alliances with renowned international universities. These alliances include periodical visits by students and faculty working on mutually beneficial projects.
Important alliances include:
- Student exchange program with AIT Bangkok for dual degree programme.
- Student exchange with Johnson School of Management, Cornell University, USA and Simmons College, Boston.
- Fund Management Course designed in collaboration with Johnson School of Management, Cornell University.
- Entrepreneurship Management course developed in collaboration with Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.
- Student & Faculty exchange with Deakin University of Australia.
- Student & Faculty exchange with Adelaide University of Australia.
- Collaboration agreement with Penn University, USA.
- Collaboration agreement with Angelo University, Texas.
The institute offers the following courses:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), is a flagship course of SIMSR and for which admission happens through CAT/CMAT.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Financial services: admission in which happens through CAT/CMAT, is being offered to meet the demand of financial experts in the market. It is also considered as one among the flagship courses.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management - International Business : admission in which happens through CAT/CMAT.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Retail Management started in year 2004, in collaboration with Pantaloons Retail. Admission in this course happens through CAT/CMAT.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Integrated marketing communication, a newly launched program of SIMSR aims at fulfilling the ever-growing demands of the industry. Admission in which happens through CAT/CMAT.
It also conducts courses such as Master of Management Studies (MMS), this course is affiliated with the University of Mumbai; Master of Computer Applications (MCA).
Doctorate-level courses, management development programmes and in-company training programmes are also conducted. It conducts foreign language courses and other part-time courses such as MMM, MFM, MIM, etc.
The institute offers a Ph.D. programme in Management of the University of Mumbai and SNDT Women's University (for women candidates only), along with several other full- and part-time Masters and post graduate programmes.
SIMSR offers several specialized industry specific programmes for working executives and companies.
The admission procedure to the institute are:
- MMS: Through scores from MAH-MBA-CET (Common Entrance Test conducted by DTE, Maharashtra)/CMAT conducted by AICTE.
- All Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) courses: Through scores from the competitive exam like CAT/XAT/CMAT(candidates need the form issued by the institute) and go through the process of written test, group discussion/case study, and interview once shortlisted.
Organization and governance
The Institute conducts programmes approved by AICTE and University of Mumbai and, accordingly, its organisation and functioning are based on the guidelines stipulated by these agencies. However, for the proposes of Public Trust Act and Income Tax Act, the institute is a part of Somaiya Vidyavihar, the parent body registered under the Society’s Act. SIMSR has constituted its Governing Council as per the guidelines of AICTE. The Governing Council of SIMSR approves all the rules and regulations for the operations of the Institute and is the supreme body of the institute.
It has constituted a Local Management Committee as per the requirements of University of Mumbai which mainly reviews the conduct of the programmes affiliated to it.
The institute has an Academic Council drawing specialists from academic and industry to advise the on its programmes, curriculum and help in close industry interface. The Academic Council advises on all academic matters and approves new programmes, criteria for admission and changes in curriculum of programmes.
The day-to-day operations of the institute are supervised by the director, Prof. (Dr) Satish Ailawadi. Prof (Dr) Suresh Ghai, director general helps and guides the institute in regard to its long-term planning and faculty development and building relationships with other academic bodies and industry associations.
Course coordinators and heads of departments look after all administrative and academic matters relating to their programmes and subjects and function under the overall guidance of the director.
The non-teaching staff deal with all the administrative work and report to the registrar.
- Piyush Jha, Film Director, Novelist
- Madhusudan Kela, Chief Investment Strategist, Reliance Capital
- Abhinav grover, Deputy General Manager,Mahindra & Mahindra Limited
- Anuj Bhargava, Founder,CEO, AB Associates
- Harsh Bhosale, President-HR, Essar Steel
- Kameshwari Rao, Director People Strategy, Sapient Corporation
- Kamlesh Dangi, Group Chief People Officer, Religare Enterprises
- Kinshuk Kunwar, Marketing Director, Mead Johnson Nutrition.
- Kishore Tadepalli, Vice President, JWT
- Lata Pillai, director, Deutsche Bank.
- Naishadh Paleja, Chief Executive Officer, SSKI
- Naushad Noorani, Director, ACC Limited
- R G Devnani, Vice President, Blue Star Limited
- Rambhushan Kanmuri, Director, Barclays
- RV Anand, VP HR, BP Middle East
- Sanjay Rastogi, Head (Corporate HR), Trent Limited
- Sanjay Shah, Managing Director, Morgan Stanley
- Shrikant Bapat, Managing Director, Emerson Climate Tech-nologies India
- Somaditya Kapoor, Director, BPS Pyramid IT Consulting
- Sunil Punjabi, Business Head, AXN India
- V Ramachandran, Director Strategy, LG Electronics India
- Vikram Malhotra, Chief Operating Officer, Studio
- Ashish Patil, Business & Creative Head, Y-Films, YRF
- [An overview of Somaiya Vidyavihar]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Somaiya college.|
- Official Website
- Somaiya Trust
- K. J. Somaiya College of Engineering
- Somaiya Vidyavihar
- List of Mumbai Colleges