K. J. Yesudas discography
|Dr. K. J. Yesudas|
|Birth name||Kattassery Joseph Yesudas|
January 10, 1940 |
Fort Kochi, Cochin, British India
|Origin||Kochi, Kerala, India|
|Genres||Indian classical music and playback singing|
- 1 Carnatic Classical Music
- 2 Festival Albums
- 3 Devotional Releases
- 4 Light Music
- 5 Film Music
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Carnatic Classical Music
Gurusmarana, is one of Yesudas's Carnatic classical music albums, in which he has sung with his guru Chembai Vaidyanatha Bagavathar.
There are 2 cassettes currently released – Vol 1 & 2. Album produced by BGM Tharangini.
- Viriboni varnam (Bhairavi)
- Vathapi Ganapathim Bhaje (Hamsadhvani)
- Pavana Guru (Hamsanandi)
- Ksheera Sagara (Devagandhari)
- Siva Siva Siva (Pantuvarali)
Album begins with the kriti Swami Unnai, followed by a Muthuswami Dikshitar composition Mahaganapathim. Yesudas decorates this kriti with Kalpanaswarams and gamakas. Other Kritis are `Sarasija’ and `Dakshayani’ and album ends with an Oothukadu Venkatasubba iyer composition 'Thaye Yesoda'. The album is produced by Tarangini Music, India.
- Swami Unnei
- Thaye Yasodha
Krishna Nee Begane Baaro
Krishna Nee Begane Baaro, a recording of live performance by Gana Gandharva Yesudas in the presence of His Holiness Sri Sri Sri Vishveshatheertha Swamiji of Pejavara Sri Krishna Math, Udupi in early 2002. He is accompanied by Prov.V.Praveen on Mridangam, Mahadeva Sharma on Violin and T.Radhakrishna on Ghatam
- Gajavadana Beduve, Raagam : Hamsadhwani, Taalam : Aadi, Lyric : Sri Purandradasa
- Krishna Nee Begane, Raagam : Yaman Kalyani, Taalam : Mishra Chapu, Lyric : Vyasatirtha
- Tirupathi Venkataramana, Raagam : Keeravani, Taalam : Aadi, Lyric: Sri Purandradasa
- Kotta Bhaagyave Saako, Raagam : Shanmukhapriya, Taalam : Aadi, Lyric: Vidya prasanna theertha
- Nalidaade yenna Naaaliqe, Raagam : Shuddha Saveri, Taalam : Aadi, Lyric: Sri sri Ranga Viitala
- Srinivasa Yennabittu, Raagam : Sriranjani, Taalam : Aadi, Lyric: Sri sri Ranga Viitala
- Guruvina Gulaama, Raagam : Hamsanandi, Taalam : Aadi, Lyric: Sri Purandradasa
- Jagadodhaarana, Raagam : Kāpi, Taalam : Aadi, Lyric: Sri Purandradasa
Thiruvona Kaineettam is an album of Onam festival Malayalam songs. All songs were written by Gireesh Puthenchery and the music was composed by Vidyasagar. Sujatha and Vijay Yesudas also sang in this album with Yesudas. Album released by Tharangini in 2001.
- Aaranmula Palliyodam ( Yesudas & Vijay Yesudas )
- Aaro Kamazhthivecha ( Yesudas & Sujatha )
- Chandanavala ( Sujatha & Vijay Yesudas )
- Illakkulangara ( Yesudas )
- Paraniraye ( Yesudas)
- Poomullakkodi ( Yesudas & Sujatha )
- Thevaaramuruvidum ( Yesudas )
- Villinmel ( Yesudas )
Ponnona Tharangini is a musical album by Dr K J Yesudas. As the name suggests, the songs in the album were made on the basis of Onam, released by Tharangini. All songs were written by Sree Kumaran Thambi and the music was composed by Maestro Raveendran. Album released by Tharangini in 1992.
- Mannin Manam
- Mudippokal Vadiyal
- Palnira Poo Ponchiri
- Pathira Maykathil
- Pookkalam Kanunna
- Thonikaranum avante pattum
Hymns from the Rig-Veda
The Album Hymns from the Rig-Veda is one of the greatest albums of K J Yesudas. The album composed by Maestro Sri Rangasami Parthasarathy and recorded using Indian musical instruments in the background score. The Rig-Veda is the most ancient of the four Vedas and is one of the oldest texts of any Indo-European language and one of the world's oldest religious texts.
Music for Meditation – Gayatri Mantra
Album Music for Meditation – Gayatri Mantra was composed by Sri Rangasami Parthasarathy and sung by K J Yesudas. The Gayatri Mantra is sung in nine different ragas to symbolize the oneness of Divinity. Album released by Oriental Records. Vocal Artist: K. J. Yesudas Flute: Hariprasad Chaurasia Santoor: Shivkumar Sharma Sarod: Brij Narayan Sitar: Janardhan Mitta Veena & Music: R. Parthasarathy
Bhagavad-Gita – Song of God
Bhagavad-Gita – Song of God is the Sanskrit album series by Yesudas and Music Composed and Produced by R Parthasarathy in 1977 and released by Oriental Records. The Bhagavad-Gita is as the spiritual wisdom of India.
Bhagavad-Gita, Chapter 12, 15 contains selected slokas from the chapter 12 and 15.Chapter 12 is on the Bhakti Yoga. Krishna describes the glory of devotion to God. Chapter 15 is known as Purusottama yoga. Krishna reveals the virtues, glories and transcendental characteristics of God. He explains the purpose and value of knowing about God.
Bhagavad-Gita, Chapter II – CD contains selected 38 slokas from the 72 Slokas in the Chapter II. Starting from sloka 20 which states, " The Atma is never born nor does it die", the artists recorded all the major slokas and concludes with 71 & 72 which states, " One who abandons all desires attains the state of final emancipation".
- Atta Apu
- Beauty All Around
- Circle Of Return
- Misere Karuna
- Sari Sari.
Sitaron Mein Tu Hi
- Chamak cham cham
- Door Humse Na Tum
- Dosti Hai Humne To Kiye
- Ishq Mushq Na Chupte
- Itna Bhi
- Man Mohini
- Sajni Sajni
- Sanwari Saloni Us Pe
- Tu Jaan Hai
- Tujh Se Bichhad Ke
Yesudas has thousands of songs in Malayalam, his mothertongue, to his credit. Undoubtedly, he sang most of his songs in his mothertonuge, unlike many of his contemporaries. His first song as a playback singer was for the Malayalam movie Kalpadukal(1961), in the music of M. B. Sreenivasan.
Between 1960-75, he sang songs composed by M. S. Baburaj, G. Devarajan, M.K. Arjunan, V. Dakshinamoorthy, and Salil Chowdhury which became hits. The trio combination of Salil, Yesudas and Prem Nazir took the Malayalam cinema industry of the 1970s by storm.
Popular songs sung by Yesudas and composed by Baburaj are : Thamasamente Varuvaan – Bhargavi Nilayam (1964), Vellichilankayaninjumkondoru Pennu – Kattuthulasi (1965), Nadhikalil – Anaarkali (1966), Innale Mayangumbol – Anveshichu Kandethiyilla (1967), Pranasakhi Njan Verumoru & Orupushpam Mathramen – Pareeksha (1967), Ikkareyanente Tamasam – Karthika (1968),
Hit songs with composer Dakshinamoorthy are Swapnangale Ningal – Kavyamela (1965), Kakkathamburatti – Inapravukal (1965), Hrudaya Sarassile – Paadunna Puzha (1968), Ponveyil – Nirthasala (1972).
Songs by Yesudas with Devarajan master's music that became hits are : Ashtamudikkayalile – Manavatty (1964), Manikya Veena – Kattupookkal (1965), Kattadichu – Thulabharam (1968), Thangabhasma – Koottukudumbam (1969), Aayiram Padasarangal – Nadi (1969), Sangamam Sangamam – Triveni (1970), Omalale Kandu – Sindhoora Cheppu (1971), Manushyan Mathangale Srishtichu – Achanum Bappayum (1972), Indravallarippoo Choodivarum – Gandharava Kshetram (1972), Padmatheerthame Unaroo – Gayathri (1973). He sang most of his Malayalam songs in the music of Devarajan master.
Songs with Salil Chowdhury are Neela Ponmane – Nellu (1974), Kalakalam Kayalolangal – Ee Ganam Marakkumo (1978), Madaprave Vaa – Madhanotsavam (1978), Shyamameghame Neeyen – Samayamayilla Polum (1978).
From 1980s, his hit songs are with composers such as Raveendran, M. G. Radhakrishnan, Jerry Amaldev and Johnson. Yesudas made a lot of hit songs with Raveendran master. Ezhuswarangalum – Chiriyo chiri (1982), Pramadavam.
Devanganagal Kayyozhinja tharakam from the film Njan Gandharvan (1991) is a popular song by composed by Johnson.
Because of his immense talent and popularity he is often preferred by music directors/producers to render the songs which require the power factor and extreme variations in ragas mainly in the big budget movies. The song 'Aadiyushassandhya' from the movie 'Pazhassi Raja' is an example for his voice clarity even at the age of 69.
After Malayalam, he sang the most in Tamil. Yesudas's first song in Tamil film was in the film Bommai (1963) and the song was Neeyum Bommai. The song VizhiyE kadhai ezhuthu composed by M. S. Viswanathan in M.G.R. Hit Urimai Kural (1974) was his early successful song in Tamil. Other songs with M. S. Viswanathan are Malarae kurinji malarae (Dr. Siva (1975)), Ennai vittal yArumillai – Naalai Namadhe (1975), Veenai pesum adhu meettum viralgalai kandu (Vazhvu En Pakkam (1976)), Thaane thanakkul sirikkindraal (perum pugazhum (1976)), Chendu malli poo pol azhagiya pandhu(Idhaya malar (1976)), Idhu irava pagalaa (Neela malargal 1979), Thirumaalin thirumarbil sreedevi mugamae (Thrishoolam), Kaanchi Pattuduththi – Vayasu Ponnu (1978). With music composer Ilaiyaraaja he made lot of hit songs. Other major music directors worked with him are A. R. Rahman, Rajkumar S.A., S. Balachander, Vaidyanathan L., Deva, Gangai Amaran, Aadithyan, K. V. Mahadevan, Shankar Ganesh and Vidyasagar.
He had fortune to sing songs written by Subramanya Bharathy (Yezhavuthu Manithan, 1981) and Bharati, 2000) and Kannadasan. 'Poove Sempoove' - Solla Thudikkuthu manasu, 'Aarariraro' - Raam, 'Raaja Raaja Chozan' - Rettai Vaal Kuruvi, Thendral Vanthu' - Thendrale Ennai Thodu, 'Kanne Kalaimaane' & 'Poongaatru' - Moondram Pirai, 'Vaa Vaa Anbe' - Agni Natchathiram, 'Vellai Puraa' - Pudhu Kavithai are popular. He was awarded Kalaimamani Award and eight time State Award for the best playback singer from Tamil Nadu Government.
He made lot of hit songs in Kannada films. Some hit songs are
- Anuragadalil Gandharva Gana – Gandharva
- Hoovina Lokha Nammadu – Kempu Gulabi
- Gouria Roopa Ninamma – Madura Preethi
- Kele Kele Bharatha Mathe – Abhimanyu
- Nagumoo Mohana – Rayaroo Bandaru Maavana Manege
- Nammoora Yuvarani – Ramachari
- Ee Yavvana Madhura – Ramarajyadhalli Raksharu
- Yaakamma Beku – Sneha
- Haadonda Naa Haaduvenu – Shruthi
- Meru Giriyane – Sangliyaana
- Mane Mandi Gella – Triveni
- Navarathri Nota Nayana Mohana – Shri Durgey Pooje
- Sone Sone – Preethsodu Tappa
- Bangardinda – Preethsodu Tappa
- Ellellu Sangeethave – Malaya Maarutha
- Yaare Neenu Cheluve – Nanu Nanna Hendthi
- Ninnantha Kathaikaru – Ansumbava
Major Kannada musicians worked with him are Hamsalekha, R. Sudarsanam, S. A. Rajkumar, V.Manohar, Upendrakumar and Gurukiran. Yesudas was awarded five times State Award for the best playback singer from Karnataka Government.He is one of the favourite singers of ace musician and lyricist Hamsalekha.He often records songs with him and the duo has produced number of hit songs.He also sung for number of devotional songs in Kannada
Yesudas has been singing in both Classical and film songs in Telugu.
- Anthuleni Katha (1976) – Devude Icchadu Veedhi Okati
- Nireekshana (1981) – Chukkalle Thochave Ennelle Kachave
- Meghasandesam (1983) – Navarasa Suma Malika
- Meghasandesham – Sigaloo Avi Viruloo
- Meghasandesham – Aakasa Desana (For which he won National Award for Best Male Playback singer
- Kumkuma Thilakam – Aalanaga Palanaga
- Swayamvaram – Gali Vanalo
- Aadhi Dampathulu – Kadalinigani
- Yedadugulabandam – Yenduku
- Hanthakudiveta – Regevyase
- Gruhaprevesam – Daarichupina Devatha
- Ugranarasimham – Veyikaluvula
- Rudrakali – Okakavi
- OoruNidralechindi – Chick Chick Pillata
- Kumkumathilakam – Momuna Bottetti
- SwatantranikiOopiripoyindi – Manasaina Priyathama
- Bramha – Musi Musi Navvulalona
- Srutilayalu (1987) – Telavarademo Swamy
- Rudraveena (1988) – Tulasi Dalamulache Santhoshamuga Poojinthu, Manava Seva Drohama Kala Seva Kadanna, Lalitha priyakamalam
- Donga police (1992) – Aa poola rangu
- Assembly rowdy(1991) –Andhamainaa Vennelalona
- Alludu garu(1991) – Muddabanthi navvulo, Kondalalo nelakonna, Nagumomu
- Major Chandrakanth(1992) – Muddutho onamaalu
- Kunthi Putrudu(1993) – Gummalu tommidhi
- Tappu chesi pappu koodu (2003) – Brundaavanamaali
- Aparichitudu – Jeyangari Inti Sogasa
are some of his hit songs in Telugu.
Yesudas's first Hindi song was for the movie Anand Mahal(1972) but first released song was in the film Choti Si Baath, both with music scored by Salil Chowdhury, a long-standing collaborator. His most popular Hindi songs are from the 1976 movie Chitchor with music given by Ravindra Jain. The greatest tribute paid to him is cited during an interview with Ravindra Jain, wherein the blind music director confessed that if he ever happened to regain vision, the first person he would like to see was Yesudas. Yesudas's greatest association in Hindi was with Ravindra Jain and the duo combined to produce memorable including Oo Goriya re (from the film Naiyya - directed by Prashanth Nanda),Sunayna (from the film Sunayna). The film in which Yesudas sang the most memorable Hindi songs is claimed to be Sawan Ko Aane Do with music given by the notable late Shri Raj Kamal. Songs like Jaanam, Chand jaise mukhde pe and Tujhe Dekh Kar Jagwale Par (from Saawan Ko Aane Do), Kahan se aaye badra (from Chasme Baddoor),Ni Sa Ga Ma Pa (from Anand Mahal) etc. leave even the lover of modern songs spell bound, his song Surmayee Ankhiyon Mein (from Sadma), penned by Academy Award winner lyricist Gulzar, is one of few notable and melodious song written in Lori prose. Yesudas was also nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer thrice: for "Gori Tera Gaon" from Chitchor in 1977, for Ka Karoon Sajni Aye Na Baalam from Swami in 1978, and "Sunayana In Nazaron Ko" from Sunayana and winning the trophy for Dil Ke Tukde Tukde from Dada in 1980.
His film songs in Bengali are major hits. Naam sokuntala taar – Srikanter Will (1979), Path haraabo boley ebaar – Protiggya (1985) and Aar bujhitey parinaa – Debikaa (1985) are his memorable songs with Salil Chowdhury.
He is also familiar to the Oriya film world. Mamataari baalijhaDa and E laakhi jaay dekhi -Batasi Jhada (1981) some hit songs.
- Dr. K.J.Yesudas
- Carnatic Music
- List of Carnatic singers
- Playback singer
- Concerts by Dr. K. J. Yesudas
- Krishna Nee Begane Baaro
- "Filmfare Awards and Nominations". Deep750. Retrieved 2012-01-04.