Radhakrishnan in 2013
29 August 1949 |
Irinjalakuda, Kerala, India
|Fields||Electrical engineering and space research|
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur (Ph.D., 2000)
IIM Bangalore (PGDM, 1976)
Govt Engg College Thrissur (B.Sc. Engg., 1970)
|Known for||Chandrayaan, MOM|
|Notable awards||Padma Bhushan (2014)|
Koppillil Radhakrishnan is an Indian scientist and the present chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). He is also the chairman of the board of management, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology. He has also served as the director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram. He is a life fellow of the Indian Geophysical Union and is also an accomplished vocalist (Carnatic music) and Kathakali artist. Radhakrishnan took charge as the Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 31 October 2009 succeeding G. Madhavan Nair.
Radhakrishnan hails from Irinjalakuda in Thrissur district, Kerala. After his studies from Christ College, Irinjalakuda, he completed his B.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering in 1970 from the Government Engineering College, Thrissur. He started his career in the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) as an Avionics Engineer at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum, in 1971.
While at ISRO, he joined the masters programme in management at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore. He received his masters degree in management in 1976. In 2000, he obtained his doctorate from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. Radhakrishnan is a Carnatic music and Kathakali enthusiast. He has excelled in music, dance and other art forms during his educational period. He himself has given vocal stage performances.
- Director, RRSSC (Regional Remote Sensing Service Centres) under the umbrella of National Natural Resources Management System (1989–1997).
- Director, BEA-ISRO (Budget and Economic Analysis) (1987–1997).
- National Mission Director, Integrated Mission for sustainable Development and a Deputy Director of the National Remote Sensing Agency (NRSA) (1997–2000).
- Project Director, Early Warning System for Tsunami and Storm Surges (2000–2005)
- Vice Chairman - Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO (2001–2005)
- Founding Chairman, Indian Ocean Global Ocean Observing System (IOGOOS) (2001–2006)
- Regional Coordinator, Indian Ocean for the International Argo Project (2001–2005)
- Director, National Remote Sensing Agency, Department of Space (2005–2008)
- Member of the Indian delegation to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Use of Outer Space (2006)
- Director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvanathapuram, India (2007–2009)
Awards and honors
- "List of Padma awardees". The Hindu. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Isro, IISc men get top national honour". The Times of India. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "ISRO gets a new chairman". Deccan Herald. 25 October 2009. Retrieved 25 October 2009.
- "Board of Management". Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology. 2013.
- "Dr K Radhakrishnan made ISRO chief". Hindustan Times. 24 October 2009. Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- "Dr K Radhakrishnan made ISRO chief". Press Trust of India. Archived from the original on 27 October 2009. Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- Radhakrishnan, M. G. (25 October 2009). "New ISRO chief a noted Kathakali dancer". India Today.
- "ISRO chief sings a different note". The New Indian Express. 2 September 2011. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Dr. K. Radhakrishnan". University of Hyderabad. Archived from the original on 7 December 2009. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- "Dr K Radhakrishnan takes over as Secretary, Department of Space, Chairman, Space Commission and Chairman, ISRO" (Press release). Indian Space Research Organisation. 31 October 2009. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to K. Radhakrishnan.|
G. Madhavan Nair