||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
Dr. K. Radhakrishnan
29 August 1949 |
Irinjalakuda, Thrissur, Kerala
|Fields||Electrical Engineering and Space research|
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur (Ph.D., 2000)
IIM Bangalore (PGDM, 1976)
Govt Engg College Thrissur (B.Sc. Engg., 1970)
|Known for||Chandrayaan Mission|
K. Radhakrishnan (born 29 August 1949) is an Indian scientist and the Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). He also served as the director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram. He was born in Kerala, India. He is a Life Fellow of the Indian Geophysical Union and is also an accomplished vocalist (Carnatic music) and Kathakali artist. Radhakrishnan took charge as the Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 31 October 2009. He succeeds Dr. G. Madhavan Nair who retired at the end of October, 2009.
Personal life 
Radhakrishnan hails from Irinjalakuda in Thrissur district. Malayalam movie artist Innocent and Radhakrishnan were classmates during the school days in Irinjalakuda. He received his B.Sc.(Engineering) degree in Electrical Engineering in 1970 from the Government Engineering College, Thrissur, University of Kerala . He started his career in the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) as an Avionics Engineer at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum, in 1971. While at ISRO, he joined the Masters programme in Management at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore. He received his MBA degree in 1976. In 2000, he obtained his Doctorate from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. He has held several key positions in ISRO and was one of the key people behind India's Chandrayaan-1 moon mission.
Positions held 
- Director, RRSSC (Regional Remote Sensing Service Centres) under the umbrella of National Natural Resources Management System (1989–1997).
- Director, BEA-ISRO (Budget and Economic Analysis) (1987–1997).
- National Mission Director, Integrated Mission for sustainable Development and a Deputy Director of the National Remote Sensing Agency (NRSA) (1997–2000).
- Founding Director - Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Department of Ocean Development, Govt. of India (2000–2005)
- Project Director, Early Warning System for Tsunami and Storm Surges (2000–2005)
- Vice Chairman - Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO (2001–2005)
- Founding Chairman, Indian Ocean Global Ocean Observing System (IOGOOS) (2001–2006)
- Regional Coordinator, Indian Ocean for the International Argo Project (2001–2005)
- Director, National Remote Sensing Agency, Department of Space (2005–2008)
- Member of the Indian delegation to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Use of Outer Space (2006)
- Director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Center, Thiruvanathapuram, India (2007–2009)
See also 
- "ISRO gets a new chairman". Deccan Herald. 2009-10-25. Retrieved 2009-10-25.
- "Dr K Radhakrishnan made ISRO chief". Hindustan Times. 2009-10-24. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Dr. K. Radhakrishnan made ISRO chief". Press Trust of India. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "ISRO chief sings a different note". The New Indian Express. 2011-09-02. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- Faculty profile from the University Hyderabad. Retrieved 11/30/2009
- Press Release from ISRO October 31, 2009. Retrieved 11/30/2009
G. Madhavan Nair