Radhakrishnan in 2011
29 August 1949 |
Irinjalakuda, Thrissur, Kerala
|Fields||Electrical Engineering and Space research|
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur (Ph.D., 2000)
IIM Bangalore (PGDM, 1976)
Govt Engg College Thrissur (B.Sc. Engg., 1970)
|Known for||Chandrayaan, Mangalyaan|
|Notable awards||Padma Bhushan (2014)|
K. Radhakrishnan is an Indian scientist and the present chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). He is also the chairman of the board of management, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology. He has also served as the director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram. He is a life fellow of the Indian Geophysical Union and is also an accomplished vocalist (Carnatic music) and Kathakali artist. Radhakrishnan took charge as the Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 31 October 2009 succeeding G. Madhavan Nair.
Radhakrishnan hails from Irinjalakuda in Thrissur District, Kerala. After his studies from Christ College, Irinjalakuda, he completed his B.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering in 1970 from the Government Engineering College, Thrissur. He started his career in the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) as an Avionics Engineer at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum, in 1971.
While at ISRO, he joined the masters programme in management at Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore. He received his masters degree in management in 1976. In 2000, he obtained his doctorate from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. Radhakrishnan is a Carnatic Music and Kathakali enthusiast. He has excelled in music, dance and other art forms during his educational period. He himself has given vocal stage performances.
- Director, RRSSC (Regional Remote Sensing Service Centres) under the umbrella of National Natural Resources Management System (1989–1997).
- Director, BEA-ISRO (Budget and Economic Analysis) (1987–1997).
- National Mission Director, Integrated Mission for sustainable Development and a Deputy Director of the National Remote Sensing Agency (NRSA) (1997–2000).
- Project Director, Early Warning System for Tsunami and Storm Surges (2000–2005)
- Vice Chairman - Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO (2001–2005)
- Founding Chairman, Indian Ocean Global Ocean Observing System (IOGOOS) (2001–2006)
- Regional Coordinator, Indian Ocean for the International Argo Project (2001–2005)
- Director, National Remote Sensing Agency, Department of Space (2005–2008)
- Member of the Indian delegation to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Use of Outer Space (2006)
- Director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Center, Thiruvanathapuram, India (2007–2009)
Awards and honors
- "Isro, IISc men get top national honour". The Times of India. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "List of Padma awardees". The Hindu. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "ISRO gets a new chairman". Deccan Herald. 2009-10-25. Retrieved 2009-10-25.
- "Dr K Radhakrishnan made ISRO chief". Hindustan Times. 2009-10-24. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Dr. K. Radhakrishnan made ISRO chief". Press Trust of India. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "ISRO chief sings a different note". The New Indian Express. 2011-09-02. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- Faculty profile from the University Hyderabad. Retrieved 11/30/2009
- Press Release from ISRO October 31, 2009. Retrieved 11/30/2009
G. Madhavan Nair