|Born||3 February 1954|
|Institutions||The National Centre for Biological Sciences|
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur|
|Notable awards||Padma Shri
Fellow of the Royal Society
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize
Krishnaswamy VijayRaghavan FRS (born 3 February 1954) is Distinguished Professor and Director of The National Centre for Biological Sciences. He has become the Secretary of Department of Biotechnology, India on 28 January 2013, replacing Maharaj Kishan Bhan. He was conferred the honour of the Padma Shri by the Govt. of India on 26 January 2013. He is also a recipient of the Infosys Prize in the life sciences category in 2009.
He graduated with a Bachelor of Technology degree in Chemical Engineering from IIT Kanpur in 1975.He completed his doctoral work in 1983 in the field of Molecular Biology and holds a Ph.D from the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. During his post-doctoral work, from 1984 to 1985, he was a Research Fellow and then, from 1986 to 1988, a Senior Research Fellow at the California Institute of Technology.
In 1988, he joined the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research as a Reader and in 1992, when the National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), which is under the aegis of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research was founded joined NCBS. In August 1991, he moved to Bangalore and was instrumental in the establishment of NCBS in Bangalore. He is Distinguished Professor in the field of Developmental Genetics and Director of the National Centre of Biological Sciences.
His fields of specialization are Developmental Biology, Genetics and Neurogenetics. His research primarily focuses on the important principles and mechanisms that control nervous system and muscles during development and how these neuromuscular systems direct specific locomotor behaviours. This was achieved by using the fruit fly Drosophila Melanogaster as a model system. By patterning the segmental organization of the fly body plan, his research was able to shed more light on the functions of Hox genes in directing neuromuscular connectivity and motor behaviors.
He is on the Management Board of the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS). of TIFR and of the TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, coming up in Hyderabad. VijayRaghavan is also a director of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms. He is a member of the Board of Governors of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, the Advisory Committee, the Janelia Farm Research Centre of the HHMI, and a Senior Editor of the journal eLife. Prof. VijayRaghavan has become the Secretary of Department of Biotechnology (DBT), India since January 2013.
Honors and achievements
Prof. K. VijayRaghavan has received numerous awards such as British Council Fellowship, Procter & Gamble Fellowship (Caltech), Lucile P Markey Fellowship (Caltech) and Biotechnology Career Development Award of Rockefeller Foundation.
In 1998, K. VijayRaghavan was conferred with the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology award by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research. In January 1999, he became an Associate faculty member of the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research.
In 1999,he became an Honorary Faculty Member of the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research. In the same year, he became a Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy. He became a Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Genetics in the year 2000 and a Member of the Asia-Pacific International Molecular Biology Network in the year 2001.
In 2003, he received the Distinguished Alumnus Award of IIT Kanpur.
In 2006, he was awarded the J.C.Bose Fellowship.
In 2012, he received the H K Firodia Award "for his original contributions to the field of life sciences, particularly to developmental biology, genetics and neurogenetics."  In the same year he became Fellow of Royal Society.
In 2013, he has been conferred with Padmashri.
- Professor Krishnaswamy VijayRaghavan FRS. Royal Society. Retrieved on 8 October 2013.
- "Management and Administration of NCBS". Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- Events:: DBT - Department of Biotechnology. Dbtindia.nic.in (28 January 2013). Retrieved on 8 October 2013.
- "List of Padma Awardees – NDTV". Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Infosys Prize laureate in life sciences in 2009 – Prof. K. VijayRaghavan". Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- "History of National Centre of Biological Sciences". Retrieved 18 January 2012.
- "Organization of ICTS". International Centre for Theoretical Sciences. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Board of Directors of Centre for Cellular And Molecular Platforms". Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Board of Governors | Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University OIST. Oist.jp. Retrieved on 8 October 2013.
- Janelia Farm Advisory Committee | Janelia Farm Research Campus. Janelia.org. Retrieved on 8 October 2013.
- K Vijay Raghavan, Senior editor – Genetics & genomics. elifesciences.org
- "Prof. K. Vijayraghavan as Secretary, Department of Biotechnology (DBT, India)".
- "Distinguished Alumnus Award(2003) – K VijayRaghavan". Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Fellow Profile of Prof. Krishnaswamy VijayRaghavan". Retrieved 18 January 2012.
- "Recipients of S. S. Bhatnagar Award in biological sciences". Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Recipients of Prizes, Travelships, Scholarships (April'99-March'01) in NCBS". Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Distinguished Alumnus Award of IIT Kanpur". Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Research Fellowships granted under the Research & Development Support (SERC) scheme during 2006–07".
- "News- K. VijayRaghavan elected Fellow of TWAS". International Centre for Theoretical Sciences. 20 October 2010.
- "H K Firodia award for scientists Ramakrishnan and Raghavan". The Times of India. 30 August 2012.