|Channels||Analog: 15 (UHF)
Digital: KSPR-DT 19.2 (UHF)
Virtual: 33.2 (PSIP)
|Subchannels||33.2 The CW|
|First air date||March 15, 1990|
|Sister station(s)||KYTV, KSPR|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
15 (UHF, 1990–2009)
K17DL 17 (UHF) Branson
|Former affiliations||Independent (1990–1995)
|Transmitter power||3.9 kW
1,000 kW (KSPR-DT2)
575 m (KSPR-DT2)
|Public license information:||Profile
K15CZ, UHF analog channel 15, is a CW-affiliated television station located in Springfield, Missouri, United States. The station is owned by Schurz Communications, and is a sister station to NBC affiliate KYTV (channel 3); Schurz also operates ABC affiliate KSPR (channel 33) under a shared services agreement with owner Perkin Media, LLC. All three stations share studio facilities located on West Sunshine Street in Springfield; K15CZ maintains transmitter facilities located on East Kearney Street (MO 744), near Doling Park. Syndicated programs broadcast by K15CZ include Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, 30 Rock, Family Feud, Castle, Family Guy, The Arsenio Hall Show, The Andy Griffith Show and Steve Harvey.
K15CZ's low-powered analog broadcasting radius does not reach the entire market. Therefore, the station is simulcast over KSPR's second digital subchannel in order to reach the entire market. This signal can be seen on UHF channel 19.2 (or virtual channel 33.2 via PSIP) from a transmitter on Switchgrass Road, north of Fordland. The station uses the modified callsign "KCZ" (removing the channel number from the numbered-lettered calls) for station identification purposes (this is also used as the station identifier on DirecTV's program guide, while Dish Network identifies it as "KDL").
The station first signed on the air on March 15, 1990; it originally operated as an independent station. K15CZ formerly operated a repeater station, K17DL in Branson; that station was later sold to Branson Visitors TV, LLC and now airs tourist information for the Branson area. The station became a charter affiliate of the United Paramount Network (UPN) when the network launched on January 16, 1995; the station changed its on-air branding to "UPN 15". In the late 1990s, K15CZ entered into a local marketing agreement with South Bend, Indiana-based Schurz Communications, owners of NBC affiliate KYTV (channel 3); Schurz eventually bought the station outright in 2002.
On January 24, 2006, the Warner Bros. unit of Time Warner and CBS Corporation announced that the two companies would shut down The WB and UPN and combine the networks' respective programming to create a new "fifth" network called The CW. K15CZ became the Springfield market's CW affiliate when the network launched on September 18, 2006; Harrison, Arkansas-licensed KWBM (channel 31) became a charter affiliate of MyNetworkTV, which launched two weeks earlier on September 5 as a secondary replacement for The WB and UPN.
In the late 2000s, the station obtained the website domain name, theozarkscw.com; this web address redirected to The CW's network website for a time until the station's website officially launched.
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|33.2||720p||16:9||CW 15||Simulcast of K15CZ|
Since the station was licensed as a low-powered translator, it did not originally offer a digital signal of its own. In 2006, KYTV began carrying a standard definition simulcast of the station on its second digital subchannel; in 2009, the simulcast moved to KSPR digital subchannel 33.2. The Federal Communications Commission granted a construction permit for K15CZ to build digital transmitter facilities, with the digital signal being "flash-cut" into operation on its former analog UHF channel 15 when the transmitter was completed; this has not occurred as of August 2012.
KYTV produces 11½ hours of locally produced newscasts each week (with two hours on weekdays, a half-hour on Saturdays and one hour on Sundays) for K15CZ; in addition, the station produces the half-hour sports highlight program O-Zone Sports, which airs Saturdays at 9:30 p.m.
On August 22, 2011, KYTV – despite the fact that ABC-affiliated sister station KSPR simulcasts K15CZ on its second digital subchannel – began producing an hour-long extension of its weekday morning newscast (from 7:00 to 8:00 a.m.) and a nightly half-hour 9:00 p.m. newscast for K15CZ. The 9:00 p.m. newscast was expanded to one hour in June 2013.
Current on-air staff
- Paul Adler - weekday mornings on Ozarks Today on The Ozarks CW (7:00-8:00 a.m.)
- Ethan Forhetz - weeknights at 9:00 p.m.
- Paula Morehouse - weekends at 9:00 p.m.; also weekday reporter
- Maria Neider - weekday mornings on Ozarks Today on The Ozarks CW (7:00-8:00 a.m.)
- Lisa Rose - weeknights at 9:00 p.m.
- KY3 Storm Team
- Ron Hearst (AMS Seal of Approval) - chief meteorologist; weeknights at 9:00 p.m.
- Brandon Beck (AMS Seal of Approval) - meteorologist; weekday mornings on Ozarks Today on The Ozarks CW (7:00-8:00 a.m.)
- Abby Dyer - meteorologist; weekends at 9:00 p.m.
- Felicia Combs - meteorologist; weekend mornings on Ozarks Today
- Sports team
- Chad Plein - sports anchor; weeknights at 9:00 p.m., also sports reporter
- Joe Hickman - sports anchor; weekends at 9:00 p.m., also sports reporter
- Sara Forhetz - general assignment reporter
- Lindsey Henry - general assignment reporter
- Mike Landis - general assignment reporter
- Paula Morehouse - general assignment reporter
- Shayla Patrick - general assignment reporter
- Ashley Reynolds - "Contact KY3" consumer reporter
- Linda Russell - general assignment reporter
- Jehan Sheikh - general assignment reporter
- Emily Wood - general assignment reporter
- 'Gilmore Girls' meet 'Smackdown'; CW Network to combine WB, UPN in CBS-Warner venture beginning in September, CNNMoney.com, January 24, 2006.
- UPN and WB to Combine, Forming New TV Network, The New York Times, January 24, 2006.
- RabbitEars TV Query for KSPR
- KY3 News will add 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. newscasts on The Ozarks CW
- Meet the News Team
- TheOzarksCW.com - K15CZ/KSPR-DT2 ("KCZ-TV") official website
- KSPR.com - KSPR official website
- KY3.com - KYTV official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for K15CZ