|Branding||KBFX Fox 58 (general)
Eyewitness News (newscasts)
|Channels||Digital: 29 (UHF)
& KBAK-DT 33.2 (58.2)
29.2[notes 1]This TV
|Owner||Sinclair Broadcast Group
(Sinclair Bakersfield Licensee, LLC)
|Founded||August 23, 1989|
|Call letters' meaning||K Bakersfield Fox|
|Sister station(s)||KBAK-TV, KMPH-TV
|Former callsigns||K58DJ (1989-1995)
|Former channel number(s)||58 (analog, 1989-2010)|
KBFX-CD, channel 58, is a Class A low-power digital television station serving Bakersfield, California. The station is a Fox affiliate. Syndicated programming on KBFX includes: The Ricki Lake Show, Inside Edition, The Big Bang Theory, and The People's Court among others. The station is owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group. The station's studios are co-located with sister KBAK-TV west of downtown Bakersfield, and the transmitter site is on Breckenridge Mountain.
The analog signal went off the air in August 2010. KBFX currently broadcasts in high definition on RF channel 29 which maps to virtual channel 58-1, and also as a subchannel of KBAK-DT in widescreen standard definition; this digital signal is RF channel 33-2 and virtual mapped channel 58-2. It is also available in high definition on Bright House Networks cable.
KBFX began in 1989 as K58DJ, a low-powered relay translator of KMPH, Fresno's Fox affiliate. It changed its call letters to KMPH-LP in 1995. Later, the Fox network wanted to include a new separate affiliate station for the Bakersfield market; as a result, in 1998, channel 58 was relaunched as KBFX-LP. Among the features on the new station was a KBAK-produced 10pm newscast, "Fox 58 News @ 10". It was so successful that KBAK's then-owner Westwind Communications bought the station in 2005 from KMPH's owners, Pappas Telecasting.
On February 28, 2010, Bright House Networks announced that KBFX will be carried in Tehachapi also on cable 6. KBFX just recently launched their new digital transmitter on RF channel 29. This signal carries This TV on its subchannel, which maps to virtual channel 29-2. In January 2011, KBFX began airing its local news in high definition.
Fisher Communications announced on April 11, 2013 that it would sell its entire group, including KBFX, to Sinclair Broadcast Group, pending Federal Communications Commission approval. The deal was completed on August 8, 2013. On October 3, 2013, Sinclair announced the completion of the sale of four stations owned by Titan TV Broadcast Group, including KMPH, which reunites KBFX as sister-stations for the first time in eight years.
KBFX is the only Bakersfield television station to never change its affiliation, having always been a Fox affiliate.
- Amity Addrisi - weekday mornings on Eyewitness News Mornings (7-9 a.m.)
- Courtney Bryant - weeknights at 10 p.m.
- Rob Finnerty - weekday mornings on Eyewitness News Mornings (7-9 a.m.)
- Tom Murphy - weekdays at 12:30 p.m.
- Caitlin Rearden - weekends at 10 p.m.; also general assignment reporter
- Kurt Rivera - weeknights at 10 p.m.
- Weather team
- Miles Muzio - chief meteorologist; weeknights at 10 p.m.
- Aaron Perlman - weather anchor; weekday mornings on Eyewitness News Mornings (7-9 a.m.) and weekdays at 12:30 p.m.
- Anthony Bailey - weather anchor; weekends at 10 p.m., also general assignment reporter
- Sports team
- Greg Kerr - sports director; weeknights at 10 p.m.
- John Franchi - sports anchor; weekends at 10 p.m., also sports reporter
- Keisha Courtney - multimedia journalist
- Carol Ferguson - crime and government reporter
- Jose Gaspar - general assignment reporter; also fill-in anchor
- Josh Helmuth - weekday morning reporter on Eyewitness News Mornings (7-9 a.m.)
- Tom Murphy - general assignment reporter
- Kristine Frazao - Sinclair Nationial Correspondent
- Sheila Gray - Sinclair Nationial Correspondent
- Per ATSC standards, a station on channel X must map to channel Y if another station on channel Y maps to channel X; channel 58.2 already exists on KBAK
- "Sinclair acquiring Fisher Communications". bakersfieldnow.com. April 11, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Colman, Price (April 10, 2013). "Sinclair poised to buy Fisher stations". TVnewscheck.com. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Sinclair Broadcast Group Closes On Fisher Communications Acquisition". All Access. August 8, 2013. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Official website
- KBFX-CD2 website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KBFX-CD
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KBFX-CD