|City of license||Modesto, California|
|Broadcast area||Modesto, California|
|First air date||November 1, 1951 (as KBOX)|
|Power||1,000 watts day
1,000 watts night
|Callsign meaning||K ESPN (former affiliation)|
|Former callsigns||KBOX (1951-1956)
|Affiliations||CBS Sports Radio
Modesto Nuts Minor League Baseball
Pacific Tigers College Basketball
(Radio License Holding Cbc, LLC)
|Sister stations||KATM, KDJK/KHKK, KHOP, KJOY, KWIN/KWNN|
KESP (970 AM) is an all-sports radio station in Modesto, California, USA. The station serves Modesto, Stockton, Lodi, and surrounding communities of the northern San Joaquin Valley. It is currently owned by Cumulus Media.
KESP is the flagship station of the Modesto Nuts of the California League (baseball), and the flagship station of Pacific Tigers college basketball team. It is also a member of the Oakland Athletics, San Francisco 49ers, San Jose Sharks, Golden State Warriors, and California Golden Bears radio networks. Most of its daily programming, as the call letters imply, comes from ESPN Radio, until January 2, 2013, when KESP switched to CBS Sports Radio.
KESP gained its current call sign, and format, in the early 2000s. Other call signs used since it came on the air in 1951 were: KBOX (1951–1956), KBEE (1956–1983), KHYV (1983–1988), KOOK (1988-1992(?)/1996(?))KBUL (1996–1998), and KANM (1998–2000). The station was owned by the McClatchy family, which also owned McClatchy Newspapers, publisher of the Modesto Bee. (The McClatchy Company has since sold the station to Citadel Broadcasting, which merged with Cumulus Media on September 16, 2011.)
- "KESP Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Modesto Radio Museum (retrieved 2009-05-13). Note, however, that the FCC Call Sign History Database (retrieved 2009-05-13) indicates that the station was KBEE in 1992-1996.
- "Cumulus now owns Citadel Broadcasting". Atlanta Business Journal. September 16, 2011. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- Official site
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KESP
- Radio-Locator Information on KESP
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KESP
- FCC History Cards for KESP