|Channels||Digital: 31 (UHF)|
|Translators||KEYU-LP 41 Amarillo
KEAT-LP 22 Amarillo
K59HG Amarillo (silent)
|Owner||Drewry Communications Group
(Midessa Broadcasting, L.P.)
|Founded||February 6, 1998|
|First air date||2004|
|Sister station(s)||KAMT-LP, KFDA-TV, KTMO-LP, KZBZ-LP|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
31 (UHF, 2004-2009)
|Transmitter power||700 kW|
|This article is outdated. (March 2012)|
KEYU, known locally as Univisión Amarillo or Univisión 41, is a Spanish-language television station in Borger, Texas, serving the Amarillo market on digital channel 31 as an affiliate of Univision, and on analog low-power station KEYU-LP channel 41. Founded February 6, 1998, the station is owned by Drewry Communications Group along with KFDA-TV, KTMO-LP, KAMT-LP, and KZBZ-LP.
At one point, KEYU aired local newscasts; they were produced out of Little Rock, Arkansas, with reports produced in Amarillo. The newscasts were canceled in June 2008, after then-owner Equity Media Holdings, which was suffering from financial problems, instituted a companywide suspension of news programs.
According to the Retro Television Network website, KEYU had at one point planned to add an RTN affiliate on DT3 sometime in the future. However, after Equity filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in December 2008, Luken began to distance itself from Equity; its offers to acquire KEYU and other Equity stations were eventually withdrawn, and on January 4, 2009, RTN affiliation was removed from all Equity-owned or operated stations as a result of a commercial dispute with Luken.
In 2009, KEYU and three Amarillo LPTV stations were put up for sale for $7.5 million, as part of a sell-off of all of Equity's stations. A buyer was not found until October, when Drewry Communications Group, announced that it would purchase the stations, with a failing station waiver being obtained to allow KEYU to be co-owned with KFDA.
- Manthey, Toby (2008-06-14). "Equity ends newscasts; N.Y. station buy teeters". Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Retrieved 2008-06-19.[dead link]
- Marich, Robert (2008-06-26). "Equity Media Sells RTN to Ease Crunch". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- Retro Network Television affiliates
- Larson, Erik (December 8, 2008). "Equity Media, U.S. TV Station Owner, Seeks Bankruptcy". Bloomberg News. Retrieved December 9, 2008.
- Equity's Management Cause of Downfall, Former CEO Asserts, Mark Hengel, Arkansas Business, February 2, 2009
- "Equity stations still on the block". Television Business Report. April 20, 2009. Retrieved April 28, 2009.
- "Amarillo acquisition requires waiver". Television Business Report. October 16, 2009. Retrieved October 21, 2009.
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KEYU
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KEAT-LP
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KEYU-TV