|City of license||Juneau, Alaska|
|Broadcast area||Alaska Panhandle|
|Branding||"Hometown Radio 800 KINY"|
|Slogan||"Where You Don't Miss a Thing"|
|First air date||May 31, 1935|
|Power||10,000 Watts daytime
7,600 Watts nighttime
|Affiliations||ABC Radio News
|Owner||Alaska Broadcast Communications
(Juneau Alaska Communications, LLC.)
|Sister stations||KJNO, KSUP, KTKU|
KINY began broadcasting on May 31, 1935, at 7:30 PM. It was located in the Goldstein Building until 1939, when the building was destroyed by fire on February 8, 1939. The Decker Building in downtown Juneau then served as KINY's headquarters for decades. The station moved into the building on October 28, 1940. The Decker Building burned down in June 1984.
The callsign letters have no backstory, as KINY was just a government-issued designation.
Notable regular local broadcasts include:
- News of the North - news about Alaska.
- Capital Chat, a local-events show for the Juneau, Alaska area hosted by Kelly Peres and Sharon Gaiptman which increased its frequency in May 2009 to air every weekday (except for certain holidays) at 8:30am.
- Problem Corner, a local show for buying, selling, etc., hosted by Dennis Egan and Wade Bryson, Monday through Saturday at 11am. The Saturday edition was added to increase local content as a part of a range of local programming increases after the purchase by Juneau Alaska Communications LLC - a company with common ownership to Alaska Broadcast Communications. The Saturday show airs at 9am.
Notable regular syndicated broadcasts include:
- The Mike Harvey Show, a syndicated requested oldies show hosted by Mike Harvey airing weeknights from 7pm to Midnight.
- Super Gold, hosted by Mike Harvey, airing Saturdays from 6pm to Midnight.
- Osgood File with Charles Osgood, syndicated news commentary from CBS Radio Network airs at 7:30am weekdays.
In addition to the main station, KINY has an additional 5 translators to widen its broadcast area.
|City of license||FCC info|
- "This Day in History". Juneau Empire. 2005-05-31. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- "This Day in History". Juneau Empire. 2008-02-08. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- "This Day in History". Juneau Empire. 2008-10-28. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- Wallace, Brian (2005-04-20). "The Decker building burns - 1984". Juneau Empire. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- Golden, Kate (June 25, 2007). "KINY, KSUP sale pending". Juneau Empire. Retrieved August 8, 2009.
- "Alaska Broadcasting Communications buys KINY, KSUP". Juneau Empire. June 12, 2008. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- Krueger, Andrew (February 3, 2005). "What's up with that?". Juneau Empire. Retrieved August 8, 2009.
- 800 KINY Online
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KINY
- Radio-Locator Information on KINY
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KINY