|Channels||Analog: 13 (VHF)|
(Townsquare Media Lake Charles License, LLC)
|First air date||1989|
|Call letters' meaning||from sister station KJEF|
|Sister station(s)||KHLA, KJEF, KJMH, KLCL, KNGT, KTSR|
|Former callsigns||K13VG (1989-2001)|
|Former affiliations||NBC, via KPLC (2004)|
|Transmitter power||12 watts|
KJEF-CA, channel 13, is a class A television station in Jennings, Louisiana. Owned by Townsquare Media, the station is currently an independent station. It is the only television station owned by Townsquare, a company that otherwise specializes exclusively in radio.
The station's original construction permit was originally granted on August 24, 1987 as K13VD; this was changed to K13VG a month later. The station was originally owned by Jennings Broadcasting Company along with KJEF radio (1290 AM and 92.9 FM, now KHLA), but was sold to Cajun Country Broadcasting in 1994. K13VG was again sold, this time to Apex Broadcasting, in 2000; soon afterward, it obtained class A status and, in 2001, changed its call letters to KJEF-CA to match its radio sisters.
From March 15 until August 24, 2004, KJEF-CA suspended its normal programming and became, in effect, a temporary translator of KPLC, the NBC affiliate in Lake Charles; that station's tower had collapsed on March 4, and KJEF helped augment the lower-power auxiliary transmitter KPLC was broadcasting from upon resuming broadcasts on March 6.
Gap Broadcasting purchased Apex Broadcasting's Lafayette stations in 2007. What eventually became Gap Central Broadcasting (following the formation of GapWest Broadcasting) was folded into Townsquare Media on August 13, 2010.
The station went dark at 5PM Friday, April 19, 2013.
- "Application Search Details (1)". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- "Application Search Details (2)". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- "Application Search Details (3)". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- "KJEF-CA – Exhibit 21". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- Winch, Graham (March 7, 2004). "KPLC Signal Back On-Air Again". KPLC 7 News. Retrieved August 1, 2010.
- BIA Financial Networks (September 16, 2007). "Deals". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved August 1, 2010.
- "Townsquare Media completes roll-up of GAP". Radio Business Report. August 13, 2010. Retrieved August 15, 2010.