||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (January 2009)|
|City of license||Alexandria, Louisiana|
|Broadcast area||Alexandria area|
|Slogan||A Christian Voice In Your Home|
|First air date||September 21, 1935 |
|Power||5,000 watts day
1,000 watts night
|Callsign meaning||Jesus, Mary and Joseph|
|Former callsigns||KALB (1935-1995)
|Owner||Radio Maria, Inc.|
Originally founded in 1935 as KALB, the radio sister of KALB-TV channel 5 and the former KALB-FM at 96.9 MHz (now KZMZ). The station was sold in 1995 becoming KLBG, a soul gospel formatted station. At the time of KALB's founding it was originally located at 1420 on the AM band. In May 2000, it was purchased by The World Family of Radio Maria through its local supporters. Its initial broadcast as KJMJ commenced on May 25 of that same year. Afterward, a network of repeaters were established later that year. Audiostreaming from its website is also available for listeners.
Father Duane Stenzel O.F.M. served as its first national program director,Mass celebrant,teacher and on-air personality from its 2000 inception until his death on January 18, 2011. Mary Pyper is national board president, Russ Wilson is weekend on-air technician, and Frank Hare is studio/production manager.
Radio Maria's programming includes a mix of traditional Catholic worship and inspirational music with Contemporary Christian music along with a weekday Mass, frequent recitals of the Holy Rosary and various talk and teaching programs on the Catholic faith. Some of KJMJ's programs with a worldwide online audience include Father Stenzel's twice-weekly live prayer request program "House Calls" which has attracted online listeners from across the U.S. and Canada.
Spanish-language programming for Radio Maria USA is originated as a Subsidiary Communications Authority on FM subcarriers in Houston and New York City with Italian-language programming also offered on another FM subcarrier also in New York City in addition to audio streaming. A Spanish language FM subcarrier is now in operation in Chicago.
A Spanish-language program is also aired on the main Radio Maria network on Saturday mornings.
Radio Maria programming on other stations
Radio Maria also airs an overnight/early morning weekday program block "Wake Up America" from Radio Maria New York (10pm-6am Eastern time M-F) in addition to a Saturday and Sunday evening block "Good Evening America" (7pm-12 midnight ET) on WSNR 620 AM, a brokered format station in Jersey City, New Jersey serving the New York City area. The programs originated on WSNR also airs on KJMJ and its repeater network, and features teaching and call-in programs.
HMWN Radio Maria the Toronto English language FM subcarrier and cable service also airs Radio Maria USA programming from KJMJ during overnight hours and on weekends.
KJMJ's programming can also be heard on these stations:
- KDEI 1250 kHz in Port Arthur, Texas
- KNIR 1360 kHz in New Iberia/Lafayette, Louisiana
- WULM 1600 kHz in Springfield/Dayton, Ohio
- WHHN 88.1 MHz in Hollidaysburg/Altoona, Pennsylvania
- WOLM 88.1 MHz in D'Iberville/Biloxi, Mississippi
- WHJM 88.7 MHz in Anna/Lima, Ohio
- KBIO 89.7 MHz in Natchitoches, Louisiana
- KOJO 91.1 MHz in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- WRMW 91.3 MHz in Peshtigo/Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Official Radio Maria USA site (with streaming audio)
- Radio Maria New York in English (on WSNR Jersey City with streaming audio and podcasts)
- Listing of Radio Maria USA's stations in English,Spanish and Italian
- World Family of Radio Maria
- Official Radio Maria Italy site
- Obituary of Father Duane Stenzel O.F.M.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KJMJ
- Radio-Locator Information on KJMJ
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KJMJ