|Traded as||NASDAQ: KLAC
S&P 500 Component
|Industry||Semiconductor Equipment & Materials|
|Founded||1997 (merger of KLA and Tencor)|
|Edward W. Barnholt, Chairman
Richard P. Wallace, CEO
|Products||Chips, wafers, semiconductors, and other related industries.|
Number of employees
KLA-Tencor Corporation is an American manufacturing company based in Milpitas, California. It supplies process control and yield management products for the semiconductor, data storage, LED, and related nanoelectronics industries. The company's products, software and services are intended for all phases of integrated circuit production. 
KLA-Tencor was formed in April 1997 through the merger of KLA Instruments (KLA) and Tencor Instruments (Tencor), two long-time leaders in the semiconductor equipment industry. Prior to the merger, both businesses served a segment of the inspection and metrology area; with KLA focused on defect inspection solutions and Tencor placing its emphasis on metrology solutions. 
KLA was named after its founders, Ken Levy and Bob Anderson. The word “Tencor” came about because the founder of Tencor, Karel Urbanek, wanted a two syllable name that would be easy to remember.
Since the merger in 1997, KLA-Tencor has acquired the following companies:
• Amray Inc., 1998
• Nanopro GmbH, 1998
• The Quantox product line from Keithley Instruments, Inc, 1998
• VARS, 1998
• The Ultrapointe subsidiary of Uniphase Corporation, 1998
• ACME Systems Inc., 1999
• Fab Solutions, from ObjectSpace Inc., 2000
• FINLE Technologies, Inc., 2000
• Phase Metrics, 2001
• Candela Instruments, 2004
• Wafer Inspection Systems business of Inspex, Inc., 2004
• ADE Corporation, 2006
• OnWafer Technologies, 2007
• SensArray Corporation, 2007
• Therma-Wave Corporation, 2007
• ICOS Vision Systems Corporation NV, 2008
• Microelectronic Inspection Equipment (MIE) business unit of Vistec Semiconductor Systems, 2008
• Ambios Technology, 2010
• Luminescent Technologies, 2014
KLA-Tencor serves the semiconductor equipment industry and also a number of other industries, including the light emitting diode (LED), data storage and photovoltaic industries, as well as general materials research.
KLA-Tencor’s comprehensive portfolio of defect inspection and metrology products and solutions are designed to help integrated circuit manufacturers accelerate their development and production ramp cycles, to achieve higher and more stable semiconductor die yields and to improve overall profitability. KLA-Tencor’s products are also used in a number of related industries, including wafer manufacturing, mask manufacturing, solar process development and control, medical device manufacturing, light emitting diode (LED) and data storage manufacturing, and general materials research.
- "KLA TENCOR CORP 2013 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. August 8, 2013.
- "KLA TENCOR CORP 2014 Q3 Quarterly Report Form (10-Q)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. April 25, 2014.
- KLA Tencor Website, www