|Traded as||NASDAQ: KLAC
S&P 500 Component
|Industry||Semiconductor Equipment & Materials|
|Founded||1997 (merger of KLA and Tencor)|
|Headquarters||Milpitas, California, United States|
|Key people||Edward W. Barnholt, Chairman
Richard P. Wallace, CEO
Bren D. Higgins, CFO
Ben Tsai, CTO
|Products||Chip Manufacturing; Wafer Manufacturing; Reticle Manufacturing; Data Storage Media/Head Manufacturing; High Brightness LED Manufacturing; Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing; MEMS Manufacturing; General Purpose, Labs.|
KLA-Tencor Corporation is an American manufacturing company based in Milpitas, California. It supplies process control and yield management products for the semiconductor, data storage, LED, and other related nanoelectronics industries. The company's products, software and services are designed to help integrated circuit manufacturers manage yield throughout the entire fabrication process — from research and development to final volume production.
KLA-Tencor was formed in April 1997 through the merger of KLA Instruments (KLA) and Tencor Instruments (Tencor), two long-time leaders in the semiconductor equipment industry. Prior to the merger, both businesses served a segment of the inspection and metrology area; with KLA focused on defect inspection solutions and Tencor placing its emphasis on metrology solutions. Merging together, KLA-Tencor became the most important process control player in the industry, bringing to market a complete line of yield management products and services from a single company.
KLA was named after its founders, Ken Levy and Bob Anderson. The word “Tencor” came about because the founder of Tencor, Karel Urbanek, wanted a two syllable name that would be easy to remember.
Since the merger in 1997, KLA-Tencor has acquired the following companies:
• Amray Inc., 1998
• Nanopro GmbH, 1998
• The Quantox product line from Keithley Instruments, Inc, 1998
• VARS, 1998
• The Ultrapointe subsidiary of Uniphase Corporation, 1998
• ACME Systems Inc., 1999
• Fab Solutions, from ObjectSpace Inc., 2000
• FINLE Technologies, Inc., 2000
• Phase Metrics, 2001
• Candela Instruments, 2004
• Wafer Inspection Systems business of Inspex, Inc., 2004
• ADE Corporation, 2006
• OnWafer Technologies, 2007
• SensArray Corporation, 2007
• Therma-Wave Corporation, 2007
• ICOS Vision Systems Corporation NV, 2008
• Microelectronic Inspection Equipment (MIE) business unit of Vistec Semiconductor Systems, 2008
• Ambios Technology, 2010
• Luminescent Technologies, 2014
KLA-Tencor continues to serve the semiconductor equipment industry and also a number of other industries, including the light emitting diode (LED), data storage and photovoltaic industries, as well as general materials research.
KLA-Tencor’s comprehensive portfolio of defect inspection and metrology products and solutions are designed to help integrated circuit manufacturers accelerate their development and production ramp cycles, to achieve higher and more stable semiconductor die yields and to improve overall profitability. KLA-Tencor’s products are also used in a number of related industries, including wafer manufacturing, mask manufacturing, solar process development and control, medical device manufacturing, light emitting diode (LED) and data storage manufacturing, and general materials research.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2013)|
- Freescale Semiconductor
- Powerchip Semiconductor
- ProMos Technologies
- Samsung Electronics
- Seagate Technologies
- Tower Semiconductor Ltd.
- Texas Instruments
- "KLA TENCOR CORP 2013 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. August 8, 2013.
- "KLA TENCOR CORP 2014 Q3 Quarterly Report Form (10-Q)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. April 25, 2014.
- KLA Tencor Website, www.kla-tencor.com
- "KLA-Tencor Corporation Receives Intel's Preferred Quality Supplier Award". http://ir.kla-tencor.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=839596.
- . KLA Tencor http://www.kla-tencor.com/corporate-releases/tsmc-completes-successful-beta-evaluation-of-kla-tencor-s-terastara%C2%A2-reticle-inspection-tool-on-130-nm-design-rules.html. Retrieved 28 July 2014. Missing or empty
- . Reuters http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/01/tsmc-brief-idUSL4N0PC1ZN20140701. Missing or empty