||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
Going at Mohonk Mountain House in 2006
|Born||Kelly Louise Going
August 21, 1973
Rhinebeck, New York, USA
|Genre||Fiction for children and young adults (YA fiction)|
Kelly Louise Going (born August 21, 1973) is an American writer under the name KL Going, most widely known for her young-adult novel Fat Kid Rules the World, a Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book in 2004.
Going was born in Rhinebeck, New York. She began writing novels in college and has since published three young adult novels, plus two for middle grade readers age 8 - 12, a picture book, and a reference book titled Writing and Selling the YA Novel published by Writer's Digest. She also has numerous additional picture books under contract.
She has written short stories for several anthologies, including Rush Hour volume 3, Full House, and No Such Thing as the Real World.
Going's books have been published by Penguin's Group USA, Harcourt Houghton Mifflin, and Writer's Digest. Fat Kid Rules the World was chosen as one of the Best Books of the Past Decade by the American Library Association. Her books have been Booksense picks, Scholastic Book Club choices, Junior Library Guild selections, winners of state book awards, and featured by Publishers Weekly, School Library Journal, and Children's Book Council as Best Books. Her work has been published in Germany, Japan, South Korea, Italy, and the UK. Her first four novels were also released as audio CDs by Listening Library.
Young Adult fiction
- Fat Kid Rules the World (2003) tells the story of a 296 pound teenager, Troy, who is befriended by local guitar legend Curt MacCrae. Curt insists they form a band and Troy will be their drummer, only Troy doesn't know how to play the drums.
- Saint Iggy (2006) is the story of Iggy Corso who is kicked out of school for allegedly threatening a teacher. He finds himself seeking to do something good in order to change others' minds about him.
- King of the Screw Ups (2009) is the humorous tale of Liam Gellar who is kicked out of his home and forced to move in with his glam-rocking, cross-dressing uncle. Determined to get back in his father's good graces, Liam resolves to do better in school and not fall prey to the insidious popularity that has continuously been his downfall. However, even when he tries to screw up, he screws up.
Middle grade fiction
- The Liberation of Gabriel King (2005) is a story about Gabriel King and the summer he and his best friend Frita Wilson set out to conquer all their fears.
- The Garden of Eve (2007) is a novel mixing magic with real life to create a story exploring grief, healing, and growth.
- Dog In Charge (2012) find out what happens when Dog is left in charge of the cats.
- Pablo the Poet (2015) makes the ordinary - extraordinary.
- Can't Stop Kissing That Baby (publishing date unknown)
- Bumpety, Dunkety, Thumpety-Thump (publishing date unknown)
- Fat Kid Rules the World (2003) – one runner-up for the annual Michael L. Printz Award
- The Liberation of Gabriel King (2005)
- Saint Iggy (2006)
- The Garden of Eve (2007)
- Writing and Selling the Y.A. Novel (2008)
- The King of Screw Ups (2009)
- Dog In Charge (2012)
- Official website
- K. L. Going at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- K. L. Going at Library of Congress Authorities, with 7 catalog records