|City of license||Fresno, California|
|Broadcast area||Fresno, California|
|First air date||1949 (as KMJ-FM)|
|Callsign meaning||K MeGa Variety|
|Former callsigns||KMJ-FM (1949-1981)
(Cumulus Licensing LLC)
97.9 FM was originally owned by the McClatchy family. It was originally the FM sister station to KMJ, with the callsign KMJ-FM. Known as "Music 98", the station broadcast classical music, then pop standards. In 1981 the callsign was changed to KNAX and the format was changed to country. KNAX' competition at that time was KMAK, an AM station that had adopted the Country format around 1966. By 1985, KMAK had changed format to News/Talk, and KNAX was the sole Country outlet for the Fresno area.
This lasted until 1992 when 93.7 changed format to Country as "Kiss Country". Both stations co-existed until KNAX was sold to Henry Broadcasting, which also owned KSKS. The format of KNAX was altered to a mix of classic Country with a few currents at this time. The station adopted the nickname of "Kickin' Country 98", and the original KNAX logo was replaced.
On July 3, 1998, with the emergence of a new format called "Jammin' Oldies" consisting of Classic R&B/Soul and Disco, the owners decided to take KNAX in a different direction and dropped country in favor of this current format and call letters KMGV, "Mega 97.9".
Peak Broadcasting acquired KMGV, and several other Fresno market stations, in November 2006 from CBS Radio. On August 30, 2013, a deal was announced in which Townsquare Media would purchase Peak Broadcasting, and then immediately swap Peak's Fresno stations, including KMGV, to Cumulus Media in exchange for Cumulus' stations in Dubuque, Iowa and Poughkeepsie, New York. The deal is part of Cumulus' acquisition of Dial Global; Peak, Townsquare, and Dial Global are all controlled by Oaktree Capital Management. The sale to Cumulus was completed on November 14, 2013.
- "Official: Cumulus Buys Dial Global, Spins Some Stations To Townsquare; Peak Stations Sold To Townsquare, Fresno Spun To Cumulus". All Access. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus Makes Dial Global And Townsquare Deals Official". RadioInsight. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus-Townsquare-Peak Deal Closes". All Access. November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- KMGV Website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KMGV
- Radio-Locator information on KMGV
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KMGV