|City of license||Gresham, Oregon|
|Broadcast area||Portland-Salem, Oregon
|Frequency||89.1 (MHz) (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||1984|
HD2: Alternative rock
|Callsign meaning||Mount HooD Community College|
|Owner||Mt. Hood Community College District|
KMHD (89.1 FM) is a listener-supported, non-profit FM broadcast radio station located in the Portland, Oregon area. For the first twenty-five years of its operation, the station's studio was located on the Mt. Hood Community College campus in Gresham, Oregon, and the transmitter is located atop Portland's Tualatin Mountains. In addition to its broadcast signal at 89.1, KMHD also simulcasts locally on an HD channel, as well as through streaming audio on the station's website, and OPB TV Digital subchannel 4.
KMHD is among the oldest listener-supported Jazz radio stations in the United States.
Although owned by Mt. Hood Community College, the station has never been a part of the college's radio broadcasting educational program.
|This section requires expansion. (March 2009)|
The station has been providing the Portland, Oregon community with jazz and blues since 1984, utilizing volunteer announcers - many of them prominent local musicians or broadcasters - almost entirely since its inception.
In March 2009, the Mt. Hood Community College District Board of Education agreed to transfer of the station's programming, operational and fundraising responsibilities to Oregon Public Broadcasting. The agreement was a response to a cut in state support. The transfer was approved by the board of education in mid-May and took effect on August 10, 2009, at 2:00 p.m. Although the station's programming now originates from OPB's Portland studios, the station continues to use the same call letters and broadcast frequency, and continues to be owned by Mt. Hood Community College.
KMHD-HD2 (branded as "KMHD2") airs a college radio format, including blocks of hip hop, rock, metal, world, and indie music.
- Nelson, Bob (June 2, 2009). "Call Letter Origins" 238. The Broadcast Archive. Retrieved June 21, 2009.
- KMHD History from the station's website
- Mt. Hood Community College Proposes Partnership with OPB to Operate Jazz Station KMHD from the MHCC website
- Brettman, Allan (May 15, 2009). "OPB to take over jazz station KMHD 89.1". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- KMHD official website
- "KMHD2" (KMHD-HD2) website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KMHD
- Radio-Locator information on KMHD
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KMHD