KPhotoAlbum (previously known as KimDaBa) is an image viewer and organizer for Unix-like systems created and maintained by Jesper K. Pedersen. The core philosophy behind its creation was that it should be easy for users to annotate images and videos taken with a digital camera. Users can search for images based on those annotations (also called categories) and use the results in a variety of ways. Features include slideshows, annotation, KIPI plugin support for manipulating images, and Boolean searches.
KPhotoAlbum is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. Although it is free, users are encouraged to donate money to help the development of the application.
Jesper K. Pedersen created the project in December 2002 under the name KimDaBa (K image Data Base). The project was released on December 2, 2004. KimDaBa version 2.2 was renamed to KPhotoAlbum version 2.2 on May 9, 2006. Also on 2006, Google Summer of Code sponsored Tuomas Suutari to create a SQL database back-end for KPhotoAlbum, that although functional, wasn't ready to be included in version 3.0, released December 31. This version improved existing functionalities and added support for viewing video files. See below for more expected features.
Major Releases 
- 1.0 on 2003-11-29 - Bug Fixes and feature additions, including: hiding private images; handbook; and the ability to edit image properties in the Viewer.
- 1.1 in 2004 - Bug fixes and feature additions, including tooltip enhancements, setting images as screen background, drag/drop support, settings and shortcuts configuration menus, custom thumbnail size, HTML page themes, rescan for images, MD5sums for tracking images, and find images not currently on disk.
- 2.0 on 2004-10-18 - Bug fixes and feature additions including slideshow enhancements, Import/Export functionality, image preloading, directory browsing, spell checking
- 2.1 on 2005-05-02- - Bugfixes and feature additions including improved date editor, token functionality, internationalization, search enhancements, and date navigation bar.
- 2.2 on 2006-04-19 - Bugfixes and feature additions including data backups and compression, new icon view, EXIF dialog, cache options; configurability for the annotation dialog layout.
- 3.0 on 2006-12-31 - Bugfixes and feature additions including optimizations for large image databases, many annotation dialog enhancements, tree view for categories and subcategories, scroll wheel support in the viewer, video support, tristate annotation dialog checkboxes, expanded keybinding configuration support, and others.
- 3.1 on 2007-11-23 - IPTC Information Interchange Model support added, more RAW formats are recognized, some usability improvements, many bug fixes and speed improvements.
- 4.0 on 2009-05-11 - Port to KDE 4.0 with stacking ability.
- 4.1 on 2009-10-25 - New browser and thumbnail view and various speed improvements.
- 4.2 on 2012-03-31 - ThumbnailView speed improvements, pre-loading and background thumbnail generation, copy-paste of tags from one image to the next one, RAW workflow improvements on speed and functionality, Rating images with number keys 0-5, multi core CPU improvements.
See also 
External links