|Juneau / Sitka, Alaska|
|Slogan||NBC for Southeast Alaska|
|Channels||Analog: KSCT-LP 5 (VHF) Sitka
Digital: KATH-LD 35 (UHF) Juneau
Virtual: 5.1 (PSIP)
|Owner||Denali Media Holdings
(Denali Media Southeast, Corp.)
|Founded||August 17, 1998|
|Call letters' meaning||KATH: Owner's wife's name is Kathy
KSCT: K Sitka Community Television
|Former affiliations||UPN (secondary)|
KATH-LD, is a low-power NBC affiliate serving Juneau, Alaska. The station is broadcast over the air in high definition on digital channel 5.1 (UHF frequency 35). It is owned by Denali Media Holdings, a subsidiary of Alaska's telecommunications company, GCI. KSCT-LP is a low-power translator of KATH in Sitka, broadcasting over-the-air and on cable in Sitka on channel 5.
On November 9, 2012, GCI, through subsidiary Denali Media Holdings, announced plans to purchase KATH and KSCT from Dan Etulain's North Star Television Network, along with KTVA in Anchorage from MediaNews Group. The Federal Communications Commission approved the deal on October 29, 2013.
KATH is carried on GCI cable in Juneau on channel 15, on Dish Network throughout Southeast Alaska on channel 5/9380, and on DirecTV throughout Southeast Alaska on channel 5. KATH's high definition feed is also available on GCI's "Basic Cable" service on channel 652 in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Petersburg and Wrangell. KATH's standard definition signal is also on GCI cable in Petersburg, Wrangell and Angoon.
The station has some local programming, including a weekly news feature branded as "Southeast Spotlight Report". Daily Alaska news is provided through a partnership with Anchorage's NBC affiliate KTUU-TV whom KATH also contributes news to; this partnership was suspended on December 7, 2013 as a result of a larger dispute between GCI and KTUU, but a deal to resume it was reached on February 6, 2014. All of KATH's local programming is also published online the day it airs.
KSCT does not broadcast digital over-the-air TV signals at this time. KATH ended analog over-the-air broadcasts in November 2011.
- "GCI to purchase NBC for Southeast Alaska KATH-TV and KSCT-TV". Retrieved Nov 9, 2012.
- Burke, Jill (October 30, 2013). "GCI wins out in FCC fight over acquisition of Alaska TV stations". Alaska Dispatch. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "KTUU service in Southeast to change". Juneau Empire. December 6, 2013. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- "Agreement finalized, KTUU-TV programming to return to rural Alaska on GCI cable systems". KTUU.com. February 6, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- KATH.tv - Official Website
- KSCT.tv - Official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KATH-LD
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KSCT-LP
|This article about a television station in Alaska is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|