|City of license||Galveston, Texas|
|Branding||Telemundo Houston (general)
Noticiero Telemundo Houston (newscasts)
|Channels||Digital: 48 (UHF)
Virtual: 47 (PSIP)
47.2 Exitos TV
47.3 Canal SOI
(NBC Telemundo License LLC)
|First air date||1988[when?]|
|Call letters' meaning||TeleMunDo|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
48 (UHF, 1988–2002)
47 (UHF, 2002–2009)
|Transmitter power||1000 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
KTMD, virtual channel 47 (UHF digital channel 48), is a Telemundo owned-and-operated television station serving Houston, Texas, United States that is licensed to Galveston. The station is owned by the NBC Owned Television Stations subsidiary of NBCUniversal (part of NBCUniversal Television Group). KTMD maintains studio facilities located on I-610 and Bevis Street on the northwest side of Houston, and its transmitter is located in unincorporated northeastern Fort Bend County (near Missouri City).
The station first signed on the air in the spring of 1988, broadcasting on UHF channel 48 from a transmitter located east of Farm to Market Road 528 south of Friendswood. It has been aligned with Telemundo since its sign-on, as the network began acquiring and affiliating with television stations in several key Spanish-language markets.
In 2002, KTMD was granted permission to move its analog signal to channel 47 in order to operate its digital signal on channel 48, which would operate from a transmitter located in Missouri City rather than Friendswood. The station also cited interference from a station in Bryan for its reasoning to change its channel allocation. KTMD officially moved to channel 47 on November 9, 2002.
The station's digital channel is multiplexed:
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|47.1||1080i||16:9||KTMD-HD||main KTMD programming / Telemundo|
KTMD discontinued regular programming on its analog signal, over UHF channel 47, on June 12, 2009, the official date in which full-power television stations in the United States transitioned from analog to digital broadcasts under federal mandate. The station's digital signal remained on its pre-transition UHF channel 48, using PSIP to display KTMD's virtual channel as 47 on digital television receivers.
KTMD presently broadcasts seven hours of locally produced newscasts each week (with one hour each on weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays). The station's news department was founded upon the station's 1988 sign-on, with newscasts branded under the title Noticiero 48. KTMD's newscasts were retitled as Noticentro 48 (using the Spanish titling of the NewsCenter brand popular with U.S. television stations during the 1970s and 1980s) the following year, only to revert to the original "Noticiero" title in 1991, with a slight alteration to Noticiero 47 in 2002 to reflect its new channel position on UHF 47.
Telemundo's parent company NBCUniversal replaced the locally produced newscast, with a regional newscast based out of the network's new production center in Dallas in 2006. At the time, national organizations such as the National Association of Hispanic Journalists criticized the move and issue formal statements against NBCUniversal. On February 3, 2010, production of KTMD's local newscasts returned to Houston, when the Dallas-based regional program was dropped in favor of weeknight 5 and 10 p.m. newscasts that are produced at the station's northwest Houston studios. Furthermore, on February 2, 2013, KTMD added weekend evening newscasts at 5 and 10 p.m.
- Noticiero 47 (1988–1989 and 1991–2007)
- Noticentro 47 (1989–1991)
- Noticiero Telemundo Houston (2010–present)
- Mejorando Su Vida (2007–2009)
- Juntos Somos Telemundo (2010–2012)
- Martín Berlanga - weeknights at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Haldrin Guerra - sports anchor; weeknights at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Antonio Hernández - weekends at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Paulina Sodi - weeknights at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Weather team
- Irene Sans - meteorologist; weeknights at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Ariel Rodríguez - meteorologist; weekends at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Teresa Alonso - general assignment reporter
- Augusto Bernal - general assignment reporter
- Carlos De Pavía - general assignment reporter
- Roger Franco - general assignment reporter
- Ruby Guzmán - general assignment reporter
Notable former on-air staff
- "Report and Order DA 02-2288". Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- McDaniel, Mike (November 8, 2002). "KTMD-TV to move to new channel, increase signal power". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- RabbitEars TV Query for KTMD
- "DTV Tentative Channel Designations for the First and Second Rounds" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Consumer Watch: Stations have more DTV work to do, Houston Chronicle, February 6, 2009.
- CDBS Print
- The National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- Clotter, Haydee. "Peek Inside Telemundo's Houston Offices and Their Play for TV News." Houston Press. April 10, 2014. Retrieved on April 14, 2014.
- Tu Telemundo
- Telemundo Houston (Spanish)
- Mobile site
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KTMD
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KTMD-TV