|City of license||Morris, Minnesota|
|Broadcast area||Stevens County, Minnesota|
|Slogan||"The U-90 Alternative"|
|First air date||September 17, 1970|
|HAAT||38 meters (125 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||K University (of) Minnesota-Morris|
|Affiliations||Independent Public Radio|
|Owner||University of Minnesota Morris|
|Sister stations||KUOM, KUMD-FM|
KUMM (89.7 FM, "U-90") is an American non-commercial educational radio station licensed to serve the community of Morris, the county seat of Stevens County, Minnesota. The station, established in 1970, is owned and operated by the University of Minnesota Morris.
KUMM broadcasts a college radio/alternative rock music format to the campus and the greater Stevens County, Minnesota, area. The station is a member of Minnesota's Independent Public Radio network. The station also broadcasts programming produced by University of Minnesota Morris students.
KUMM began licensed broadcast operations on September 17, 1970, with just 10 watts of effective radiated power (ERP) from an antenna 21.3 meters (70 ft) in height above average terrain. The station was assigned the call sign "KUMM" by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
In May 1981, KUMM was granted a construction permit to increase power to 223 watts and lower its antenna to 17.3 meters (57 ft). The station began licensed operation at the new parameters on December 15, 1983.
In September 2002, KUMM applied for a new construction permit to further expand the station's coverage area. The application sought to raise the antenna to 38 meters (125 ft) and increase the ERP to 3,000 watts. A 2009 amendment to that application reduced the requested power to 700 watts. KUMM began licensed operation at these new parameters on October 15, 2009.
- "Directory of Radio Stations in the United States and Canada". Broadcasting/Cablecasting Yearbook 1983. Washington, DC: Broadcasting Publications, Inc. 1983. p. B-130.
- "KUMM Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "About KUMM". KUMM/University of Minnesota Morris. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- "Stations & Coverage Map". AMPERS. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- "Programming". KUMM/University of Minnesota Morris. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access Database. FCC Media Bureau. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BPED-19800102BS)". FCC Media Bureau. May 15, 1981. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BLED-19830509AB)". FCC Media Bureau. December 15, 1983. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BPED-20020917ABW)". FCC Media Bureau. September 21, 2006. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BMPED-20090827ABZ)". FCC Media Bureau. September 9, 2009. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BLED-20090918AAN)". FCC Media Bureau. October 15, 2009. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- KUMM official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KUMM
- Radio-Locator information on KUMM
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KUMM