|San Antonio, Texas|
|Branding||Telemundo San Antonio (general)
Telenoticias San Antonio (newscasts)
|Slogan||Más Cerca de Usted
(Closer to You)
|Channels||Digital: 38 (UHF)
Virtual: 60 (PSIP)
(operated by ZGS Communications, Inc.)
(NBC Telemundo License Company)
|First air date||September 10, 1989|
|Call letters' meaning||ViDA, the Spanish word for "life"|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
60 (UHF, 1989-2009)
|Transmitter power||1000 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
KVDA, virtual channel 60, is the Telemundo-affiliated television station in San Antonio, Texas. Owned by NBCUniversal and operated by ZGS Communications, the station operates its digital signal on channel 38. Its studios are located on San Pedro Ave., near the North Shearer Hills neighborhood on the northern side of San Antonio and its transmitter is based near Elmendorf, Texas.
|This section requires expansion with: further information on the history of KVDA. (May 2012)|
KVDA signed on September 10, 1989, and has always operated as a Telemundo affiliate.
The station's digital channel is multiplexed:
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|60.1||1080i||16:9||KVDA-DT||Main KVDA programming / Telemundo|
KVDA discontinued regular programming on its analog signal, over UHF channel 60, on June 12, 2009, the official date in which full-power television stations in the United States transitioned from analog to digital broadcasts under federal mandate. The station's digital signal remained on its pre-transition UHF channel 38, using PSIP to display KVDA's virtual channel as 60 on digital television receivers, which was among the high band UHF channels (52-69) that were removed from broadcasting use as a result of the transition.
Noticiero 60 was the name of KVDA's news operation, which began with the station in 1989. Within one ratings period, the station was challenging KWEX-TV for the position of the top-rated Spanish-language station, which KWEX had held for almost 30 years.
In 2007, budget cuts announced by NBC Universal resulted in the cancellation of Noticiero 60 and its replacement with a regional newscast based out of a new production center at KXTX-TV in Dallas. This move attracted criticism from the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, including formal statements against NBC Universal.
On May 21, 2012, KVDA will launch two half-hour evening newscasts at 5 and 10 p.m. on weeknights that will be produced at the San Pedro Avenue studios; the locally-produced newscasts will be broadcast in high definition.
- Noticiero 60 (1988–2007)
- Telenoticias San Antonio (effective May 21, 2012)
- "Más Cerca de Usted" (2012–present)
- Lilian Perez - weather anchor; weeknights at 5 and 10 p.m., also entertainment reporter
- Jaime Becerril - sports anchor; weeknights at 5 and 10 p.m.
- Mayde Gómez - general assignment reporter
- Gerardo Moreno - general assignment reporter
- Geraldine Ortega - general assignment reporter
- Ciro Villarreal - general assignment reporter
Former on-air staff
- Patricio Espinoza - founding news director, anchor, Texas correspondent
- "On air". ZGS Communications. May 2009. Retrieved May 24, 2009.
- RabbitEars TV Query for KVDA
- "DTV Tentative Channel Designations for the First and the Second Rounds" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- CDBS Print
- The National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- KVDA in San Antonio to Launch Evening Newscasts, TVSpy, May 18, 2012.
- Telemundo San Antonio lanza nuevo noticiero local, Hola Ciudad, May 17, 2012.
- Station website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KVDA
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KVDA-TV