|San Antonio, Texas
|Branding||Telemundo San Antonio (general)
Telenoticias San Antonio (newscasts)
|Slogan||Más Cerca de Usted
(Closer to You)
|Channels||Digital: 38 (UHF)
Virtual: 60 (PSIP)
(operated by ZGS Communications, Inc.)
(NBC Telemundo License LLC)
|First air date||September 10, 1989|
|Call letters' meaning||ViDA, the Spanish word for "life"|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
60 (UHF, 1989–2009)
|Transmitter power||1,000 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
KVDA, virtual channel 60 (UHF digital channel 38), is a Telemundo-affiliated television station located in San Antonio, Texas, United States. The station is owned by the NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations subsidiary of NBCUniversal; ZGS Communications operates KVDA under a time brokerage agreement. KVDA maintains studio facilities located on San Pedro Avenue, near the North Shearer Hills neighborhood on the northern side of San Antonio, and its transmitter is located off of Route 181 in northwest Wilson County (northeast of Elmendorf).
|This section requires expansion with: further information on the history of KVDA. (May 2012)|
The station first signed on the air on September 10, 1989; KVDA has been with Telemundo since the station's sign-on, originally founded by the network as an owned-and-operated station.
The station's digital channel is multiplexed:
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|60.1||1080i||16:9||KVDA-DT||Main KVDA programming / Telemundo|
KVDA discontinued regular programming on its analog signal, over UHF channel 60, on June 12, 2009, the official date in which full-power television stations in the United States transitioned from analog to digital broadcasts under federal mandate. The station's digital signal remained on its pre-transition UHF channel 38, using PSIP to display the station's virtual channel as its former UHF analog channel 60, which was among the high band UHF channels (52-69) that were removed from broadcasting use as a result of the transition.
KVDA presently broadcasts five hours of locally produced newscasts each week (with one hour each on weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays).
Telemundo formed a news department for KVDA prior to the station's official sign-on; local newscasts debuted on channel 60 the day the station began operations on September 10, 1989 with the launch of newscasts at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m., under the title Noticiero 60. Within one ratings period, the station was challenging Univision owned-and-operated station KWEX-TV (channel 41) for the position of the top-rated Spanish-language station, which KWEX had held for almost 30 years. In 2007, NBC Universal announced it would reduced budgets company-wide, including its Telemundo O&Os; as part of the cuts, KVDA shut down its news department and replaced its in-house San Antonio-based newscasts with a regional newscast based out of a new production center at Dallas sister station KXTX-TV. This move attracted criticism from the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, including formal statements against NBC Universal.
On May 21, 2012, KVDA relaunched in-house news operations with the debut of half-hour evening newscasts at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m. on Monday through Fridays, that are produced at the station's San Pedro Avenue studios; the locally-produced newscasts have been broadcast in high definition from the news department's launch.
- Noticiero 60 (1989–2007)
- Telenoticias San Antonio (2012–present)
- "Más Cerca de Usted" (2012–present)
- Alex Hernandez - main anchor; weeknights at 5:00 p.m.
- Jorge Enrique de Santiago - main anchor; weeknights at 10:00 p.m., also 5:00 p.m. reporter
- Lilian Perez - weather anchor; weeknights at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m., also entertainment reporter
- Jonathan Solarte - sports anchor; weeknights at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Mayde Gómez - general assignment reporter
- Veronica Gallegos - general assignment reporter
- Ciro Villarreal - general assignment reporter
Notable former on-air staff
- Patricio Espinoza - founding news director/anchor/Texas correspondent
- "On air". ZGS Communications. May 2009. Retrieved May 24, 2009.
- RabbitEars TV Query for KVDA
- "DTV Tentative Channel Designations for the First and Second Rounds" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- CDBS Print
- The National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- KVDA in San Antonio to Launch Evening Newscasts, TVSpy, May 18, 2012.
- Telemundo San Antonio lanza nuevo noticiero local, Hola Ciudad, May 17, 2012.
- KVDA official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KVDA
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KVDA-TV