|Branding||KVEW ABC 42 (general)
KVEW Local News (newscasts)
Me-TV Tri-Cities Yakima (KXMN repeater on .2)
|Slogan||See The Difference Every Day|
|Channels||Digital: 44 (UHF)
Virtual: 42.1 (PSIP)
|Translators||K14HT Walla Walla|
|Owner||Morgan Murphy Media
(Apple Valley Broadcasting, Inc.)
|First air date||October 1970|
|Call letters' meaning||sounds like k-view|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
42 (UHF, 1970-2009)
|Transmitter power||160 kW|
KVEW, digital channel 44, is the ABC affiliate television station for the Tri-Cities area of Washington. Licensed to Kennewick, it is a semi-satellite of KAPP in Yakima, airing its own newscasts and commercials. The two stations are owned by Morgan Murphy Media, who also owns KXLY-TV in Spokane, Washington.
The station began serving the Tri-Cities region in October 1970, a month after sister station KAPP signed on. Before KVEW's existence, KEPR-TV had carried ABC as a secondary affiliation until 1959; KNBS-TV operated briefly in nearby Walla Walla, Washington as an ABC affiliate in 1960; KNDU signed on in 1961 and became the area's primary ABC affiliate until 1965, when it switched its primary affiliation to NBC. Both KEPR-TV and KNDU shared ABC programming from that point until KVEW signed on and all ABC programming moved to KVEW.
It began airing Spokane's Me-TV affiliate KXMN-LD on a digital subchannel in September 2006. KVEW and sister station KAPP-TV were one of the remaining stations to sign-off every night, but that practice was discontinued in 2012 when KAPP and KVEW added ABC World News Now to the programming lineup.
Starting December 22, 2008, KVEW discontinued its 6 pm newscast in favor of a 6:30 broadcast. The 11pm newscast is 5 minutes long and weekend newscasts have been discontinued. In addition to this move, 17 employees from KVEW and KAPP, were laid off.
KVEW is rebroadcast on one station-owned translator in Walla Walla, Washington, K14HT channel 14. KVEW has a construction permit on K34JV-D of which will be a digital translator for KVEW once the construction permit for K34JV-D is completed.
Current on-air staff
- Kevin Uretsky and Yasmeen Hassan - Local News @ 5:00 and Local News @ 6:30 Anchor
- Emily Jaceks - Good Morning Northwest Anchor
- Jason Valentine - Good Morning Northwest Weather and Co-anchor
- Eugene Buenaventura
- Josh Peterson
- Skyler Srivastava
- Emily Jaceks- Good Morning Northwest
- Dan Thesman - Local News @ 5 and Local News @ 6:30
- Kris Crocker - Local News @ 5:00 and Local News @ 6:30
Former On-Air Anchors and Reporters
- Kristi Paulus - Local News @ 5 and 6:30 Anchor, Local News @ 11 Newsbrief
- News 42/K-View News
- KVEW Local News (2005-present)
- Where the Forecast Comes First (1997-2000)
- Local Coverage You Can Count On (2005–2008)
- New. Now Next (2008-2009)
- See The Difference Every Day (2010-present)
The station's digital channel is multiplexed:
|42.1 / 44.1||Main KVEW Programing|
|42.2 / 44.2||Me-TV from KXMN-LD |
- KVEW ABC 42
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KVEW
- Query TV Fool's coverage map for KVEW
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KVEW-TV
- The Broadcasting and Cable Yearbook says October 30, while the Television and Cable Factbook says October 29.
- Where to Watch Me-TV
|This article about a television station in the U.S. state of Washington is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|