|City of license||Templeton, California|
|Broadcast area||San Luis Obispo, California|
|Branding||95.3 The Beach|
|First air date||2001|
|Format||Classic rock (KXTZ simulcast)|
|HAAT||110 meters (360 ft)|
(Mapleton License of San Luis Obispo, LLC)
|Sister stations||KPYG, KWWV, KXTZ, KYNS|
KXDZ (100.5 FM, "The Beach") is a commercial radio station licensed to serve Templeton, California, USA. The station, established in 2001, is currently owned by Mapleton Communications and the broadcast license is held by Mapleton License of San Luis Obispo, LLC.
KXDZ airs a classic rock music format branded as "95.3 The Beach", in simulcast with sister station KXTZ, to the greater San Luis Obispo, California, area. This format features adult rock hits primarily from the 1980s and early 1990s. The station duopoly had been known as "The California Sound" until a September 2002 branding shift that affected both stations. While the station has maintained essentially the same format since it signed on in 2001, several on-air hosts were shuffled to new shifts or replaced in a March 2005 shakeup.
This station received its original construction permit from the Federal Communications Commission on April 24, 1998. The new station was assigned the KXDZ call sign by the FCC on February 22, 2001. KXDZ received its license to cover from the FCC on July 13, 2001.
In August 2001, licensee Walter D. Howard applied to the FCC to transfer the broadcast license for KXDZ to Howard Broadcasting, Inc. The transfer was approved by the FCC on August 22, 2001, and the transaction was consummated on August 27, 2001. Howard Broadcasting was in turn owned by Winsome Media, a joint venture formed by Walter D. Howard and his son, Bruce Howard.
In April 2002, Winsome Media and Howard Broadcasting, Inc., reached an agreement to sell this station to Mapleton Communications, LLC, as part of a three-station deal valued at $1.8 million. The deal was approved by the FCC on May 23, 2002, and the transaction was consummated on July 19, 2002.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Retrieved June 21, 2009.
- "Business Buzz: Radio Central Coast". San Luis Obispo Tribune. September 20, 2002.
- "Radio station swaps voices". San Luis Obispo Tribune. March 31, 2005.
- "Application Search Details (BPH-19950206MR)". FCC Media Bureau. April 24, 1998.
- "Call Sign History". FCC Media Bureau CDBS Public Access Database. Retrieved June 12, 2009.
- "Application Search Details (BLH-20010413AAE)". FCC Media Bureau. July 13, 2001.
- "Application Search Details (BALH-20010809AAM)". FCC Media Bureau. August 27, 2001.
- "Business Buzz: Mapleton Communications". San Luis Obispo Tribune. April 30, 2002.
- "Changing Hands - 2002-04-22". Broadcasting & Cable. April 21, 2002.
- "Application Search Details (BALH-20020415AAW)". FCC Media Bureau. July 19, 2002.
- Radio Central Coast - Mapleton Communications
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KXDZ
- Radio-Locator information on KXDZ
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KXDZ