Andrews at Florida SuperCon 2014
|Born||Kaare Kyle Andrews|
|Area(s)||Cartoonist, Writer, Penciller, Inker|
|Awards||"Outstanding comicbook artist" Joe Shuster Awards (2005)|
Kaare Andrews is a Canadian comic book writer, artist and filmmaker who hails from Saskatoon. He is most known for his cover work on Incredible Hulk and Iron Fist, as well as many other comic books published by Marvel Comics. Andrews is distinguished by his diverse drawing style, which ranges from hyper realistic to the more cartoonesque. He was the first recipient of The Shuster Award for Outstanding Artist in 2005 for his work on Spider-Man: Doctor Octopus.
Kaare Andrews' early career kicked off with the writing of short stories which were featured throughout many different anthology books. Not long after, Andrews became a member of the Writer's Bloc club that originated on Wizard Magazine's Wizard World website.
As Andrews continued to harness his writing and illustration skills, he eventually landed a job at Marvel Comics. His work at Marvel has been featured across many prominent series, including; Incredible Hulk, Iron Fist, Ultimate X-Men, Hawkeye, Gen¹³ and The Amazing Spider-Man. In 2006, Andrews wrote and drew a four-issue mini-series known as Spider-Man: Reign; set 35 years in the future, starring a retired Spider-Man.
Andrews has also done work designing album covers for several artists, such as the Beta Band's third studio album Heroes to Zeros and Tegan and Sara's 2002 album, If It Was You, as well as directing their music video "Living Room". In 2004, Andrews began to expand his work into the film industry, directing multiple award winning short films and PSAs.
On October, 2010, Andrews released his debut feature film Altitude starring Jessica Lowndes (90210) and Julianna Guill, a thriller about five friends on a small aircraft lost in a supernatural storm.
Andrews next directed the segment "V" for the anthology film, "The ABCs Of Death", released in 2013. This was followed by "Cabin Fever: Patient Zero", which is due to be released in 2014 and stars Sean Astin.
Interior comics work includes:
- The Writers’ Bloc Anthology (1997), Writers' bloc annual '98 (1998) & Writers' bloc annual '99 (1999)
- Wonderlanders #1-2 (artist only, Oktomica Comics, 1999)
- Intrigue #1-2 (pencils only, with writer/inker Howard M. Shum, Image Comics, 2000)
- Before the Fantastic Four: Ben Grimm and Logan (artist, 3-issue mini-series, Marvel Comics, 2000)
- Gen¹³ #64-65 (artist only, with writer & cover artist Adam Warren, Wildstorm, circa 2001)
- Spider-Man's Tangled Web #10 (writer & artist, Marvel, 2001)
- Marvel Mangaverse: Spider-Man (writer & artist, one-shot, Marvel, 2002)
- Spider-Man: Legend of the Spider Clan (writer only, mini-series, Marvel, 2002)
- X-Men Unlimited #37 (writer, cover artist & penciller of some interior pages, Marvel, 2002)
- Ultimate X-Men #23-24 (artist, with writer Mark Millar, Marvel, 2002)
- Thundercats/Battle Of The Planets (one-shot) (writer and artist, DC/Wildstorm, 2003)
- Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Year One mini-series (artist, with writer Zeb Wells, Marvel, 2004)
- Wolverine #32 (artist, with writer Mark Millar, Marvel, 2005)
- Spider-Man: Reign (artist and writer, 4-issue mini-series, Marvel, 2006)
- Astonishing X-Men (artist, with writer Warren Ellis, Marvel):
- Ghost Boxes #2 (2-issue mini-series, January 2009, included in Astonishing X-Men, Volume 5: Ghost Box, 184 pages, softcover, December 2009, ISBN 0-7851-2788-7, premiere hardcover, September 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3390-9)
- Xenogenesis (5-issue limited series, July 2010 - April 2011, collected in Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis, 160 pages, premiere hardcover, March 2011, ISBN 0-7851-4491-9))
- Peter Parker: Spider-Man #27-29 (Marvel, 2001)
- The Amazing Spider-Man vol. 2 #37-39 (#478-480) (Marvel, 2001–2002)
- Incredible Hulk #38-54 (Marvel, 2002–2003)
- Ultimate Adventures #1-6 (Marvel, 2002–2003)
- Black Panther #6-7 (Marvel, 2005)
- Amazing Spider-man #522 (Marvel, 2005)
- Wolverine #34-35 & 37-40 (Marvel, 2005–2006)
- G.I. Joe vs Transformers #1 (Image, 2003)
- The Matrix Comics Volume 2 (Burlyman Entertainment, 2004)
- Iron Fist (Marvel, 2008)
- Dead of Night (Marvel, 2008)
- Ultimate Comics: X-Men #1- (Marvel, 2011)
- Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates #1- (Marvel, 2011)
- Ultimate Comics: Spiderman #1- (Marvel, 2011)
Films he has directed include:
- Altitude (2010)
- "V is for Vagitus" in The ABCs of Death (2012)
- "Cabin Fever: Patient Zero" (2014)
- The Hunted (forthcoming)
- "2005 Nominees and Winners". Joe Shuster Awards. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- WW: CHICAGO '06 - Kaare Andrews on Spider-Man: Reign, Newsarama, August 5, 2006
- Catching up With Kaare, Newsarama, September 15, 2004
- Anchor Bay Makes Altitude Acquisition Official
- First Hi-Res Still and Promo One Sheet for 'Altitude'!
- Rousing New Imagery from 'Altitude' Takes Flight
- Official website
- Kaare Andrews at the Comic Book DB
- Kaare Andrews at the Internet Movie Database
- Kaare Andrews wallpapers on Marvel.com