|Number of locations||2|
|Products||IMOD Cloud Management|
Kaavo is a cloud computing management company. Kaavo was founded in November 2007 in the U.S. Kaavo pioneered top-down application-centric management of cloud infrastructure across public, private, and hybrid clouds.
Traditional infrastructure and its associated management intrinsically ties applications to servers and servers to IP addresses and IP addresses to switches and routers. This is a tightly coupled model and according to experts leaves very little room to address the dynamic nature of a virtual infrastructure such as those most often seen in cloud computing models.  Subject matter experts supporting Kaavo's approach claims that in the cloud when applications are decoupled from the servers on which they are deployed and the network infrastructure that supports and delivers them, they cannot be effectively managed unless they are recognized as individual components themselves. Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) delivers on-demand infrastructure resources, however, users still need to deploy and configure their applications and workloads on the IaaS layer.  Kaavo provides a framework to automate the deployment and run-time management (production support) of applications and workloads on multiple clouds (Infrastructure-as-a-Service Layer). Kaavo claims that the bottom-up approach of traditional data center management tools makes it harder to manage the infrastructure, especially when dealing with the scale and distributed nature of the cloud. Kaavo takes a top-down application-centric approach for deploying and managing applications in the cloud.
In an application-centric cloud management approach, you are managing systems for specific applications rather than managing servers and routers. All required resources for a given application are managed as a unified system; all the information for deploying and managing runtime services levels for the resources required by a given application are captured in a single system definition. This is referred to as a top-down approach. In contrast, in an infrastructure-centric or bottom-up approach, resources (servers, storage, and network resources) are managed individually.  One of the key innovations by Kaavo is the ability to capture the deployment and run-time management behavior of any complex application or workload in a single XML document(Kaavo System Definition). Kaavo has published the XSD for the System Definition file. 
Kaavo uses its technology to deliver two Cloud Management products.
Delivered as a web based product and is hosted on Amazon EC2. It is integrated with the following public cloud providers: Amazon EC2, IBM SmartCloud, Logicworks infiniCloud, Rackspace Cloud, Terremark Cloud. It is integrated with the following private cloud platforms: Cloud.com CloudStack, Eucalyptus, IBM SmartCloud, OpenStack, VMware vCloud Director. IMOD supports multiple cloud providers and platforms both across application / workload / service deployments as well as within a single deployment. IMOD can also include on-premise physical resources within deployments.
Onsite deployment is available to enterprise customers within private clouds. It supports all IMOD SaaS capabilities. 
Kaavo Web Services
API for configuring and managing applications on the supported cloud providers and platforms. Kaavo Web Services use document/literal wrapped style SOAP. Compared to the server-level API provided by the IaaS cloud providers and platforms, it provides a higher level of abstraction for managing systems and configuring software. The web services API allows users to deploy applications/workloads across public, private, and hybrid clouds with a single web services call, and also provides an interface to trigger complex workflows in response to deployment-specific events.
Following are registered trademarks of Kaavo:
- Cloud Computing Made Easy
- 85 Cloud Computing Vendors Shaping the Emerging Cloud
- Application Infrastructure and Middleware on Demand
- Kaavo Launches World's First Application-Centric Management Solution for Cloud Computing Infrastructure
- Kaavo Launches IMOD
- Kaavo Intros Application-Centric Management Solution for Cloud Computing Infrastructure
- Kaavo Launches Soln For Cloud Computing Infrastructure Mgmt
- Cloud Brokers: The Next Big Opportunity?
- Rackspace Blog: Kaavo’s IMOD Now Supports The Rackspace Cloud
- Gartner: Cool Vendors in Cloud Management
- IndUS Business Journal: Jamal Mazhar: Reach for the Sky
- TMC's executive editor interview of Kaavo CEO at the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley 2010
- Managing Virtual Infrastructure Requires an Application Centric Approach
- How Kaavo fits in the cloud space, short video
- Pure Play Application Services Management in Cloud Computing?
- Making the cloud work for you
- SiliconIndia: Where lies the Silver lining?
- onCloudComputing: NIIT Technologies partners with Kaavo to provide secure cloud infrastructure management services
- TechTarget: Top cloud computing startups
- Cloud control systems tame the ether
- Kaavo System Definition File XSD
- Kaavo N-tier System Definition Guide
- US Patent # 8,271,974 - Cloud Computing Lifecycle Management for N-tier Applications
- Information Week: Kaavo Cross Vendor Cloud Control
- CIO Magazine: Startup launches Cloud Application Management Tool
- Cloud management tools guide for beginners
- IDG News Network: 15 Cloud Companies to Watch
- Techno-Pulse: Application Centric Management & Security for Cloud Computing
- 451 Group : Kaavo targets multi-cloud deployments
- Enable application-centric cloud management
- Cloud Computing: A Practical Approach by McGraw-Hill
- The Economics of Elastic Data
- 7 Hot New Cloud Computing Offerings To Check Out Now
- Kaavo IMOD Trial Download