Kabir Kala Manch
|Headquarters||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
Kabir Kala Manch (Hindi: कबीर कला मञ्च) is a cultural organization that was formed in Pune, Maharashtra in 2002 in the wake of the Gujarat riots. Through music, poetry and theatre, it is spreading anti-caste, pro-democracy message to the society. It was made up of students and young professionals who performed protest poetry and plays in slums and streets, shaking up the cultural scene in Pune as they presented a voice for the voiceless.
After Gujarat riots in 2002, some students form a cultural group Kabir Kala Manch, which through their music and poetry, took up the cause of social inequality, exploitation of the underclasses, farmer suicides, female infanticide, Dalit killings and the widening net of corruption.
This cultural group came into news when the activists of KKM were framed under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act as being Maoists and Naxalite by the state government. In May 2011, a crackdown by the Anti-Terrorism Squad on musicians and poets accused of promoting Maoist or Naxalite ideology led to Sheetal Sathe and other members of Kabir Kala Manch going into hiding. In April 2013, Sheetal Sathe and her husband Sachin Male, also a member of KKM, surrendered to the police in Mumbai, after two of the members of KKM, Deepak Dengle and Siddharth, got bail by Bombay High Court, while maintaining that they were innocent of charges. But in spite of her pregnancy, Sheetal, along with her husband, were denied bail immediately and again on June 4, 2013 by the Mumbai Sessions Court. Finally she was granted bail by the Bombay high court on June 28, 2013 on humanitarian grounds.
Attack on KKM members
KKM members along with the event's organizers, were attacked by the members of Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad after their performance at National Film Archive of India (NFAI), organized by the students of Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
- Kabir Kala Manch creates awareness through dramatics, 2010-03-28
- A film with a difference, 2012-01-28
- A Song that will be Sung, 2012-04-28
- Former FC girl student, now wanted for ‘Maoist’ links, 2012-04-11
- The thin line between dissent and rebellion : Why is a radical Dalit cultural group and its members being persecuted in Maharashtra?, 2013-04-20
- Two activists suspected to be naxals by ATS surrender near Vidhan Bhavan, 2013-04-03
- Why is this woman still in jail?, 2013-06-15
- Pregnant ‘Maoist sympathiser’ denied bail, 2013-06-05
- HC grants bail to suspected Naxal Sheetal Sathe, 2013-06-28
- ABVP thrashes FTII student for not saying ‘Jai Narendra Modi’, 2013-08-24