Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi
|Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi|
|Directed by||Balaji Mohan|
|Produced by||Sasikanth Sivaji
|Written by||Balaji Mohan|
|Screenplay by||Balaji Mohan|
|Editing by||T. S. Suresh|
|Studio||Y NOT Studios
|Distributed by||Dil Raju (Telugu Version)|
|Budget||17 crore (US$2.6 million)|
|Box office||70 crore (US$11 million)(both versions gross)|
Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi (How to Mess Up in Love) is a 2012 Indian romantic comedy film based on the same-titled short film directed by debutant Balaji Mohan. It was simultaneously shot in Tamil and Telugu (titled Love Failure) languages. The film stars Siddharth and Amala Paul in the lead roles. It was released worldwide on 17 February 2012 to critical acclaim and was declared a hit.
Arun (Siddharth) and Parvathi (Amala Paul) give an interview about their love story. But they fight even before the interview gets over. Then the movie rewinds 5 months earlier. Arun meets Parvathi in a college canteen. Soon they become friends. Parvathi's mother, Saroja breaks up with her husband Akilan. Parvathi lives with her mother. As time progresses, they break up but the reason is not revealed. Arun's friend Vignesh tries to propose his junior Rashmi. But Rashmi address's Vignesh as brother and she introduce her lover who is Vignesh's senior. Arun tries to recover from the break-up. Arun's friend calls him to a trip to Pondicherry to see his friend John.John's girlfriend Cathy starts friendly chat with Arun. Cathy wishes to help Arun and asks him why they broke up. Arun says that he doesn't have any reason and that is his problem. Since Cathy becomes friendly with Arun, Misunderstanding crops up between Cathy and John. Meanwhile Akilan approaches Prabhu for divorce. Prabhu who is Arun's father advice Akilan to reunite with Saroja after knowing that Akilan is Parvathi's Father. Akilan and Saroja unite in Parvathi's grandparents 80th marriage. Consequently, John realise that Arun and Cathy are just being friendly and he reunites with cathy. While Rashmi realise that her lover (vignesh's senior) is a playboy, she realises this and tells this to Vignesh and accepts his true love. At last, Parvathi and Arun reunite after a silly quarrel in the same canteen that they met earlier.
- Siddharth as Arun
- Amala Paul as Parvathi
- Ravi Raghavendra as Prabhu
- Sri Ranjani as Vasanthi
- Suresh as Akilan Venkatesan
- Surekha as Saroja
- Arjun as Siva
- Vignesh as Vignesh
- Dhanya Balakrishna as Rashmi
- Shyam as John
- Pooja Ramachandran as Cathy
- Bobby Simha
- Balaji Mohan in a special appearance
- Gayathri Raguram special appearance in the song "Alaipaaya Alaipaaya"
Siddharth has said that he watched the ten-minute Tamil short film Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi by Balaji Mohan and found it interesting, developing an interest to turn it into a mainstream full length feature film. Incidentally Balaji Mohan was holding talks with Sashikanth Shivaji of YNot Studios then and was planning to approach Siddharth to play the male lead role; Siddharth joined the crew and also decided to co-produce the venture with cinematographer Nirav Shah on their newly launched banner Etaki Entertainment. Owing Siddharth's popularity in Telugu cinema, the film was made as a bilingual, shot simultaneously in Tamil and Telugu as was his previous venture 180. Filming took place in Hyderabad for an urban, modernistic backdrop. Siddharth later confirmed that filming of the film's both versions were completed in a record 35 days. Television actress Deepa Venkat dubbed for the speaking voice of Amala Paul.
A first teaser trailer was uploaded by Siddharth on YouTube in December 2011. The filmmaker had started promotions in a unique way to impress the youths. Structured like a comic-book, the print ad introduced to a short conversion between the couple – Siddharth and Amala Paul – and their exchange of thoughts can be seen in the speech balloons. BlueSky bagged complete overseas theatrical and DVD/VCD rights of romantic comedy entertainer of Siddharth's own production Love Failure. Siddharth also confirmed that the producers had broke-even on the project before the theatrical release of the film, presumably by rights sale to TV channels and other means. This marketing and producing strategy was commended by many critics on producing small-budget movies with mainstream stars setting a new trend in the Telugu film industry.
|Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi/
|Soundtrack album by Thaman|
|Released||28 January 2012
29 January 2012 (Tamil version)
The soundtrack was composed by S. Thaman. While Madhan Karky penned the lyrics for three songs, director Balaji Mohan himself wrote the lyrics of the song "Ananda Jaladosam"; Sree Mani wrote all lyrics in the Telugu version.
|Tracklist (Tamil version)|
|1.||"Parvathi Parvathi"||Madhan Karky||Siddharth||3.24|
|2.||"Azhaipaya Azhaipaya"||Madhan Karky||Karthik, Harini||4.13|
|3.||"Ananda Jaladosam"||Balaji Mohan||Siddharth||2.08|
|4.||"Thavarugal Unargirom"||Madhan Karky||Thaman||4.14|
|5.||"Azhaipaya Azhaipaya – Reprise"||Madhan Karky||Karthik||3.05|
|Tracklist (Telugu version)|
|1.||"Parvathi Parvathi"||Sree Mani||Siddharth|
|2.||"Inthajarae"||Sree Mani||Karthik, Suchitra|
|3.||"Happy Heart Attack"||Sree Mani||Siddharth|
|4.||"Melukora Melukora"||Sree Mani||Thaman|
|5.||"Inthajare Inthajare – Reprise"||Sree Mani||Karthik|
Love failure satellite rights were sold for 4 crore (US$610,000) and The tamil versions satellite rights were sold for a disclosed price.The music and home media rights were bought by aditya music for a disclosed price And The worldwide distribution rights were sold for a disclosed high price of both versions.
Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi and Love Failure released on 17 February 2012. Dil Raju had acquired the Telugu distribution rights of the film. The film opened at No.1 in Chennai box office accounting for 40% of the takings. Gradually, shows were increased and it accounted for 49% of the takings in its second weekend.Love failure was released in 400 theaters and tamil version was also released in same ratio.
The film received positive reviews in both languages. Sify.com's reviewer said that the film was an "enjoyable romantic ride" that worked "largely due to its fresh script which dwells on the magic of love and its illusions", going on to label it as "jolly good fun". The Times of India critic N. Venkateswaran gave it 4 out of 5 and commented that Balaji Mohan had made an "impressive debut with his tale of love and forgiveness", while pointing out that the screenplay was "cleverly written" and the dialogues were written in an "easy, conversational tone and are sure to strike a chord with youngsters". Karthik Subramanian from The Hindu wrote: "KSY [...] is not just an experience. It is a festival. Make sure to take your entire gang along". Behindwoods.com rated the film 3/5 and quoted: "Go for this lighthearted hilarious product!" Indiaglitz.com called it a "feel-good entertainer" and further added: "Though the second half lags a bit, the movie is breezy cool and entertaining. Three cheers Balaji Mohan for a good debut venture".
The Telugu version Love Failure, too, fetched positive feedbacks. The Times of India critic Karthik Pasupleti gave the film 3.5 out of 5 and said: "Right from its unusual-yet-amusing characterization, the background score and the writing, the film is loaded with humour. As if that wasn't enough, it is nicely sugar coated from inside out". Radhika Rajamani from Rediff.com gave it 3.5 out of 5 and noted that the film was "refreshing", further citing: "It is well written and talks about love and failure in the context of life today. It gives an urbane, contemporary and realistic take on the subject. well written and talks about love and failure in the context of life today". Vishnupriya Bhandaram of The Hindu claimed: "Love Failure is a remarkably easy film to watch — no pressure, no headache. Right from the word go, its fresh, the narrative, the characters and the music". Hemanth Kumar of postnoon.com rated it 3.5 and described it as a "charming love story" and a "fantastic character study about people in love and the confusion that prevails over what the other person expects in a relationship". Idlebrain.com reviewer Jeevi, too, gave the film 3.5 out of 5, concluding that it was a "well-made urban romantic comedy told in a fresh an novel style". SimplyLikeIt, a popular blog in the US, reviewed the film and gave it 4/5, calling it a "clean family entertainer".
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actress||Amala Paul||Nominated|
|Best Debutant Director||Balaji Mohan||Nominated|
- Rangarajan, Malathi (11 February 2012). "Goofing up your love life". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- "Amala signs film opposite Siddharth". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Siddharth aims success with 'Love Failure'". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- 24 January 2012 By Anupama Subramanian DC chennai (24 January 2012). "Siddharth, the multi tasker". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Siddharth, on 'Kadhalil Sodhapuvadhu Yeppadi'". The New Indian Express. 3 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "'Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi' will be a trend setter: Amla Paul – Movies News – Tamil – ibnlive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- S. R. Ashok Kumar (27 January 2012). "Arts / Cinema : Game for multi-star cast movies". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Siddharth turns producer". Sify.com. 10 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Kadhalil Sodhapuvadu Yeppadi team at Bangalore". supergoodmovies. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- "KSY, first teaser unveiled". Sify.com. 18 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Kadhalil Sodhapuvadu Yeppadi goes for an innovative promotional campaign". oneindia. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Love Failure Overseas by BlueSky". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Dil Raju bags Love Failure". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi opened at No.1 in Chennai box office
- Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi remained at No.1 in Chennai box office on its second weekend
- "Movie Review:Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Eppadi". Sify.com. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Kaadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- Karthik Subramanian (18 February 2012). "Arts / Cinema : Kadhalil Sodhapuvadhu Yeppadi: Simple is beautiful". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi Movie Review". Behindwoods. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi Tamil Movie Review – cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. 20 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Love Failure movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Review: Love Failure is refreshing – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 20 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- Bhandaram, Vishnupriya (18 February 2012). "Love Failure: The zing thing". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "Two thumbs up for Love Failure". Postnoon. 18 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Love Failure Telugu film review – Telugu cinema Review – Siddharth & Amala Paul". Idlebrain.com. 17 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- SimplyLikeIt. "Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi Review". SimplyLikeIt. Retrieved 2012-03-05.