Kagisano-Molopo Local Municipality
Location in the North West
|District||Dr Ruth Segomotsi Mompati|
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Ontlametse Mochware (ANC)|
|• Total||23,827 km2 (9,200 sq mi)|
|• Density||4.4/km2 (11/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||96.0%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
Kagisano-Molopo Local Municipality is a local municipality in the Dr Ruth Segomotsi Mompati District Municipality, in the North West province of South Africa. It was created at the local government elections of 18 May 2011 by merging the Kagisano and Molopo municipalities.
Kagisano-Molopo covers an area of 23,827 square kilometres (9,200 sq mi) in the north-western corner of the North West province. It borders on the Kgalagadi District of the Republic of Botswana to the north, Moshaweng Local Municipality in the Northern Cape province to the south-west, Greater Taung Local Municipality to the south, Naledi Local Municipality to the south-east, and Ratlou Local Municipality to the east. The main towns in the municipality are Ganyesa, Pomfret, Morokweng and Piet Plessis.
According to the 2011 census, the municipality has a population of 105,789. The majority of this population, 96.0%, described themselves as "Black African"; there are small minorities of those who describe themselves as "White" (2.1%) and "Coloured" (1.4%). 90.3% of the population speak Setswana as a first language, while 3.4% speak Afrikaans and 1.6% speak English.
The municipal council consists of thirty members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Fifteen councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in fifteen wards, while the remaining fifteen are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 the African National Congress (ANC) obtained a majority of twenty-four seats on the council.
|African National Congress||39,923||78.8||15||9||24|
|United Christian Democratic Party||4,319||8.5||0||2||2|
|Congress of the People||1,552||3.1||0||1||1|
|African Christian Democratic Party||1,292||2.6||0||1||1|
|African People's Convention||519||1.0||0||0||0|
|Place||Code||Area (km2)||Population||Most spoken language|
|Batlharo Ba Lotlhware||61101||8,084.80||59,209||Tswana|
|Remainder of the municipality||61102 + 61501||17,571.91||17,642||Tswana|
Notes and references
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Amalgamation process of Kagisano-Molopo now complete" (Press release). North West Department of Local Government and Traditional Affairs. 20 May 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "Kagisano/Molopo Local Municipality". Census 2011.
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: NW397". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: NW397". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa