Kai Owen at Fedcon in May 2012
4 September 1975 |
Llanrwst, Conwy, North Wales
|Years active||1998 – present|
Kai Owen (born 4 September 1975) is a Welsh actor of stage and screen, known to Welsh audiences for his numerous roles on Welsh language television and to worldwide audiences for his portrayal of Rhys Williams in Torchwood.
Background and personal life
Owen was born in the town of Llanrwst in the Conwy Valley in North Wales, where his family still lives. His father Mark is a GMB union official and his mother Yvonne is a cleaner at the British Legion Club. He was educated at Watling Street Primary School, Llanrwst and Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy. He attended Mountview Theatre School, London for three years, graduating in 1998. Owen lived with his actor fiancée Sarah Wilson in East Finchley, London and in 2010 moved with son Bobby to Warwickshire. During 2011, Owen stayed in West Hollywood California for filming of Torchwood: Miracle Day.
He became first known as Kev, a gay roofer in Tipyn O Stad, shown on Welsh-language channel S4C. He was a regular in several series (52 episodes) of this popular gritty Welsh television programme; he also appeared in S4C's Treflan as character Bob Lewis. In 2009 he guested as Harri in the second series of Y Pris and as violent loan shark Craig Turner in Pobol Y Cwm (one episode, broadcast 11 September 2009; he appeared in a similar guest role in the show in August and in October 2012).
Owen's first appearance on English-language UK television came in 2001, when he appeared as Buster Edwards in the episode Dog Dago Afternoon of series Fun at the Funeral Parlour. In 2003 he guested in an episode of BBC One television series Casualty (episode 392, Stuck In The Middle With You, 19 April 2003, as Danny). In 2005 he played the character of Dave 'Shiner' Owen in all six episodes of the series Rocket Man, a BBC One television series about a man trying to launch his dead wife's ashes into space.
2006 saw Owen cast as recurring character Rhys Williams in Torchwood, a spin-off from the science fiction television series Doctor Who, a role for which he has become most renowned. He was elevated to star billing for the third series, broadcast on BBC One in summer 2009, reflecting his growing role in the series. He reprised his role in the fourth series of Torchwood - Torchwood: Miracle Day, broadcast during summer 2011.
In 2011 Owen appeared in the first episode of the third series of Being Human as Bob, leader of a dogging pack. He appears in the 14th episode of the seventh series of long running BBC school drama Waterloo Road as former rugby pro Ken Watling. He appeared in an episode of the 2012 Kay Mellor drama The Syndicate, broadcast on BBC One.
In 2015 Owen joined the cast of the channel 4 soap opera Hollyoaks playing Pete, the ex-partner of Reenie McQueen (Zoe Lucker) and a perpetrator of child abuse. In preparation for the role he liaised with the NSPCC.
|2001||Fun at the Funeral Parlour||P.C Hertz||TV episode - "The Jaws of Doom"|
|2003||Casualty||Danny||TV episode - "Stuck in the Middle with You"|
|2005||Rocket Man||David 'Shiner' Owen||Six episodes; main role|
|2006 - 2011||Torchwood||Rhys Williams||Recurring cast series 1-2
Main Cast series 3-4
|2011||Being Human||Bob||Episode #3.1 - "Lia"|
|Waterloo Road||Ken Watling||Episode #7.14|
|2012||The Syndicate||Gareth Powell||Episode #1.4|
|2007||Ying Tong: a Walk with the Goons||Harry Secombe||Radio Play by Roy Smiles|
|2009||"The Dead Line"||Rhys Williams||Torchwood Radio Play|
|2011||"The Devil and Miss Carew'"|
|Ghost Train||Narrator||Torchwood audiobook|
|2012||Army of One|
|1998||The Tempest||Ariel||Performed at Stafford Castle|
|2005||Life of Ryan... and Ronnie||Ronnie|
|2006||A Chorus Of Disapproval||Crispin Usher|
|2008||Adam & Steve||Adam|
|2012||As You Like It||Charles||Clwyd Theatr Cymru|
- "Kai Owen Biography". Kai Owen. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "Wales NW Hall Of Fame". BBC. Retrieved 2008-05-14.
- "Kai moved to Warwickshire". Kai Owen. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- Duralde, Alfonso (2011-07-09). "On the Set of "Torchwood: Miracle Day" With Eve Myles, Kai Owen and Bill Pullman". After Elton. Retrieved 2011-07-10.
- "Kai enters Flora London Marathon 2009". Kai Owen. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- "Kai News". Kai Owen. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "IMDB Resumee". Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- John Toon (2 October 2006). "Fun at the Funeral Parlour". Retrieved 2008-05-18.[dead link]
- "Casualty Stuck In The Middle With You". CNET. Retrieved 2008-05-14.
- Rob Driscoll (29 October 2005). "Rocket Man: Journey to the stars". Western Mail. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- "Coming Up". The Custard TV. 2006. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- "Cast list and Production team" (Press release). BBC Press Office. 2009-06-18. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "Ready Steady Cook, Series 21, Episode 22". BBC. 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "Being Human - Lia (Series 3, episode 1)". BBC. 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- "Network TV BBC Week 40: Wednesday 5 October 2011". Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- "Kai Owen news". Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (10 April 2015). "Hollyoaks casts Torchwood star Kai Owen as abuser Pete". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Gillian Reynolds (4 April 2007). "Today's TV & radio choices". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- Moira Petty (4 April 2007). "Radio review - drama". The Stage. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- "Spotlight profile of Kai Owen". The Spotlight. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "Ryan and Ronnie relived on stage". BBC. 5 October 2005. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- Jon Holliday (19 October 2005). "Life of Ryan… and Ronnie". The Stage. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- "Life of Ryan...and Ronnie". University of the Arts London. 2005. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- "Archif atodiadau theatr bARN ers 1992". Theatre in Wales. 2006. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- Gill Isted (10 February 2006). "Where the laughs are...". icNorthWales. Retrieved 2008-05-18.