Lord Kaiaphas live with Ancient in Biella, Italy, 1998
|Birth name||Valério Costa|
|Also known as||Lord Kaiaphas, Lord Vlad Luciferian, Zhyin|
|Born||18 April 1974|
|Origin||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Genres||Black metal, Psygressive trance, EBM|
|Occupations||Drummer, Vocalist, Lyricist, Composer, Producer, DJ|
|Years active||1991 – present|
|Labels||Metal Blade records
Cosmic Conspiracy records
Sleaszy Rider Records
|Associated acts||Missionary Position
Grand Belial's Key
Lord Kaiaphas (born Valério Costa) is a black metal vocalist, drummer, lyricist, and composer. He is mostly known for his works while in the Norwegian black metal band Ancient. His current projects are Thokkian Vortex (black metal) and Minimal Criminal (psygressive trance). His name is taken after Caiaphas - the high priest of sanhedrin, who ordered the crucifixion of Jesus.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Discography
- 3 Videography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Born in Rio de Janeiro, Kaiaphas moved to Washington D.C., U.S.A. at six years old where he grew up. Most of his family members were musically inclined. His grandmother, on his father’s side, Nadir de Figueiredo, was a very famous soprano opera singer. It was not surprising that Kaiaphas would develop a strong passion for music. Throughout his teenage and adolescent years, Kaiaphas played drums and sang for numerous rock and metal bands, recorded several demo tapes, and played dozens of gigs.
Kaiaphas began his professional music career when he joined the Norwegian black metal band Ancient in 1995. The band’s leader, Aphazel, was impressed by the work Kaiaphas had made with his prior American black metal bands - Grand Belial's Key and Thokk, so, therefore, Kaiaphas (then known as Lord Vlad Luciferian) became the obvious choice to replace Ancient’s previous member, Grimm . At this time, he changed his name to Lord Kaiaphas and began performing solely as a vocalist/frontman.
During his time with Ancient, he recorded two full-length albums for the well-known American metal label, Metal Blade Records. These albums were The Cainian Chronicle and Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends. Kaiaphas also appeared in three music videos from Ancient, Lilith’s Embrace, Willothewisp, and Um Sonho Psycodelico. In 1997 the band went on a European tour with Bal Sagoth and Dark Funeral. Later that year, the label Mordgrimm Records released the Of Rape and Vampirism CD from Kaiaphas’ former project, Thokk. The material from this CD came from their A Trance for the ever-toiling Witch demo which was recorded in 1995. In 1998, he went on an Ancient mini tour in America as well as another extensive European tour alongside Belphegor and Behemoth. Shortly after this tour, Kaiaphas left Ancient.
In the fall of 1998, Kaiaphas moved to New Orleans, where he later formed a tribal gothic rock psychedelic rock band, called Oroboros, with his friend, Nicholas Syracuse. Oroboros also played at the Burning Man Festival in 1999 and 2001. In this band, Kaiaphas played the drums, doumbek, djembe, and did some Tuvan/Mongolian style throat-singing. Their live shows consisted of tribal body paint, firedancing and fire breathing. Some of their tracks were later included in the soundtrack of the Canadian independent film, Monolithia. The band broke up in 2001.
In 2003, Kaiaphas created a project of dark ebm/futurepop/electro called KAIAPHAS, with his friend, Victor Salles, and female singer, T.A.T.I. In the beginning of 2006, the line-up had changed. Kaiaphas invited guitarist Lienhard, and new singer Lady Omega into the band. A year before meeting Kaiaphas, Lady Omega had sung on one of the songs from Ancient’s Night Visit CD, released in 2004. Coincidentally, Kaiaphas had also made a guest appearance on that same album in the track, Rape the Children of Abel. He also performed as a special guest in a couple of Ancient’s gigs in Greece in the European summer tour of 2003. While in Greece, Kaiaphas recorded some guest vocals on a few tracks from the Greek black metal band, Crossover, which ended up in their 2004 CD, Dogma.
In 2003, Kaiaphas started a minimal/progressive psy-trance project called Minimal Criminal, under the alias "Zhyin" with Bruno Echoes. Their sound often has a dark atmosphere and almost all of their tracks have a little story or concept behind them. Their tracks also generally contain bizarre and obscure samples taken from films or other sources which further enhance the ideas behind the music. In 2005, Minimal Criminal had their debut released track Reefer and Barbeque, a collaboration with established Swedish artist Krumelur, on the Intelligent Manipulation compilation CD .
In 2006, Kaiaphas started his black metal solo project, Thokkian Vortex. The music from this project is influenced by the early works from Scandinavian black metal bands such as Darkthrone, Emperor, Dark Funeral, and Limbonic Art. There are also elements of classical/orchestral and dark ambient music. A split CD with the Hungarian band Aetheritus Obscuritas was released in 2007. The full length album of Thokkian Vortex is scheduled for release in 2014  .
- Demo tape - (1991).
- Buy American - demo tape - (1992).
Grand Belial's Key
- The Cainian Chronicle - (Metal Blade records) - (1996).
- Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends - (Metal Blade records) - (1997).
- demo tape - (2000).
- demo CD - (2000).
- Demo CD - (2005).
- Promo CD - (2006).
- Always Invisible - Orkus compilation 24 - (2006).
- Vile Vermin - Synthetics Magazine Get the Bombs of Music 2 compilation CD - (2007).
- Reefer and Barbeque -Intelligent Manipulation - (Zenon Records) - compilation CD - (2005).
- Eulenschrei – Contact Lens - (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD - (2005).
- Disco Shit (live remix) - Contact Lens - (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD - (2005).
- Zulu Pazuzu – The Lurker - (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD - (2006).
- Trukket i Lyden (Minimal Criminal Moses remix) - The Plot Thickens - (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD - (2007).
- Dark Lord of the Synth – The Plot Thickens - (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD - (2007).
- Grave Robbers From Outer Space – V.A. Halu Beats Vol. 1 - (Halu Beats Records) - compilation CD - (2008).
- Phat - Ozone remix – Cherokee (Pure Perception Records) - compilation CD - (2008).
- Product Placement - Natalia (Minimal Criminal remix) – Tall Poppy Syndrome - (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD - (2008).
- Red Mongolian Deathworm – Primordial - (Bio-Sine Records) - compilation CD - (2008).
- Necrogeezer - Big Stone - (Vagalume Records) - compilation CD - (2009)
- Tao of Yoda - Geek Mythology (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD - (2010)
- Minimus Maleficarum -  - (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - Full-length album - (2010).
- Baaraparchuterphobia - PhoboPhobia (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD -(2011)
- All Hail The Mountain King! - The Tipping Point (HorsePower Productions) - compilation CD -(2012)
- The Lochness Monster - Cryptozoology (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD -(2012)
- Regurgitation - Pappedelic (Glitchy Tonic Records) - compilation CD -(2013)
- Kathaarians In Kira's Swamp - Hypno.Tembr (Glitchy Tonic Records) - compilation CD -(2013)
- Mary Poppin Pills (Hedonix Remix) - Intergalactic Jackhammer (Jaira Records) - compilation CD -(2013)
- Possessed By Papa Legba - Sinister Grin (Glitchy Tonic Records) - compilation CD -(2013)
- A Fistfull Of Steam - High Noon (Cosmic Conspiracy Records) - compilation CD -(2013)
- Thokkian Vortex/Aetherius Obscuritas The Saturnine Alliance split CD - (Sleaszy Rider Records) - (2007).
- Crossover-Hatred Dogma - Dogma - (Sleaszy Rider Records) - (2004).
- Ancient - Rape the Children of Abel – Night Visit - (Metal Blade Records) - (2004).
- Aetherius Obscuritas - The Moon Shield - Black Medicine-Fekete Orvosság - Black Medicine-Fekete Orvosság -(Paragon Records) - (2009)
- Arcane Asylum/Zebulon Kosted - Atrocity is Silent - Shadow Project Omega - Shadow Project Omega (Ziekte records) - (2009)
- Mysteriis - 66 Infernal Legions - Hellsurrection -  - (2012)
- Lilith's Embrace - (Metal Blade Records) - (1996).
- Will-o'-the-wisp - (Metal Blade Records) - (1997).
- Um Sonho Psycodelico - (Metal Blade Records) - (2001).
- " Thokkian Vortex Posts New Album Teaser" . Retrieved on 2014-05-25
- " AETHERIUS OBSCURITAS, THOKKIAN VORTEX To Team Up For Split CD " - Blabbermouth.net, 2007-05-28. Retrieved on 2007-05-30.
- " Former ANCIENT Vocalist LORD KAIAPHAS Launches New Black Metal Project " - Blabbermouth.net, 2007-02-04. Retrieved on 2007-02-23.
- Grand Belial's Key, Ancient, Thokk, Thokkian Vortex - Rockdetector. Retrieved on 2007-02-23
- Thokkian Vortex at Encyclopaedia Metallum
- Thokk at Encyclopaedia Metallum
- Minimal Criminal (Zhyin) interview with Psytrance.cz, Czech magazine. 2006-10-18 Retrieved on 2007-02-23.
- Minimal Criminal (Zhyin) interview for Australiens.net (psytrance portal in Australia) 2005-05-20 Retrieved on 2007-02-25.
- Oroboros review from Chaotic Critiques fanzine March 2002 Retrieved on 2007-02-25.
- Thokkian Vortex Facebook Page
- Thokkian Vortex Official Website
- Minimal Criminal Facebook Page
- Minimal Criminal Official Website
- Ancient Official Website