19 March 1996 |
Kaiya Jones (born 19 March 1996) is an Australian actress best known for playing the role of Sophie Ramsay in the Australian soap opera Neighbours. She previously played Jess Cooper in the third series of The Saddle Club. Jones wrote and directed a short film called Coping, which was selected to screen at Tropfest in 2013. She has joined the cast of Party Tricks.
Early and personal life
Her hobbies include acting, writing screenplays and stories, as well as writing her own songs and playing the guitar. Jones is also a supporter of the Australian Orangutan Project which raises funds to support the protection and conservation of orangutans.
Jones played the role of Jess Cooper in The Saddle Club from 2008 to 2009. In February 2009, it was announced Jones had been cast as Sophie Ramsay in the Australian soap opera Neighbours. Jones began filming her first scenes with Neighbours in the same month. Of her casting, Jones told Samantha Booth of the Daily Record, "Filming Neighbours is so much fun. I just love my job and wouldn't want to be doing anything else. The cast and crew are so kind and lovely. They are practically my second family now. They're also very patient".
On 26 November 2012, it was announced that Jones would be leaving Neighbours. She made her screen exit the following year. In 2013, Jones made a guest appearance as Poppy in an episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Jones has written and directed a short film called Coping, which focuses on three orphaned children who move in with their uncle. Coping was one of 16 films selected to screen at Tropfest on 8 December 2013. Jones was named Best Female Actor at the festival. Jones has been cast in the upcoming miniseries Party Tricks.
|2008–09||The Saddle Club||Jess Cooper||26 episodes|
|2009–13||Neighbours||Sophie Ramsay||Regular role|
|2013||Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries||Poppy||Episode: "Marked for Murder"|
Tropfest Award for Best Female Actor
|2014||Party Tricks||Matilda McLeod||Miniseries|
- Official Site – The New Kids on the Street!. Neighbours (2009-02-24). Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- Johnson, Alexandra (19 August 2009). "Neighbours soap star has Coltness roots". Wishaw Press. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- Hawker, Philippa (21 May 2014). "Neighbours star Kaiya Jones puts toe in cold water in directing debut". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Neighbours: The Perfect Blend – Kaiya Jones". PerfectBlend. PerfectBlend. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- Hall, Katrina (25 November 2010). "Christmas Stories". The Weekly Review. Retrieved 5 March 2011.[dead link]
- The Saddle Club Characters. Jess Cooper. saddleclubtv.com
- "Return of the Ramsays". Holy Soap. Archived from the original on 9 November 2010. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- Booth, Samantha (3 September 2009). "Meet the Scots schoolgirl joining the cast of Neighbours". Daily Record. Retrieved 8 June 2010.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (26 November 2012). "'Neighbours': Rhys, Andrew and Sophie to leave show". Digital Spy. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Maddox, Gary (8 December 2013). "Kaiya Jones: Actor coping fine with Tropfest spotlight". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Bungard, Matt (9 December 2013). "Tropfest 2013: Matt Hardie and Bamboozled win top prize". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 9 December 2013.