- For the Bengali politician, see Muzaffar Ahmed.
|First appearance||Bhoyonkor Sundor|
|Created by||Sunil Gangopadhyay|
Kakababu(কাকাবাবু) is a fictional character created by Bengali author Sunil Gangopadhyay, that has become legendary in Indian children's literature. The series, falling under adventure genre of literature, targeted at children and teenagers, started in the autumn of 1979 with the publication of Bhoyonkor Sundor in Anandamela magazine, puja number. Since then, the series continued for 33 years on popular demand, with over 36 adventure novels in print until the death of the author in 2012. The publishers of most of Kakababu adventure books are Ananda Publishers, based in Kolkata, India.
- Kakababu: Kakababu is a crippled ex-Director of the Archaeological Survey of India, whose real name is Raja Roychowdhury. In one of the earlier stories, it is said that Kakababu lost one leg in a jeep accident in Afghanistan, several years ago, and walks with the help of a crutch. However in "Kakabaubur Prothom Abhijan", it is revealed that Kakababu lost his leg when he jumped of a cliff to help his friend Kamal. This accident however has not crippled his strong mental will and physical strength. He is much sought after by the Indian intelligence to solve critical cases of crime. He has been trapped and captured by enemies on several occasions, but escaped unhurt, or nominally hurt. In solving cases of crime, he has travelled to several parts of India and the world. Each new adventure takes him to a new destination. His age is estimated to be over 60 at present.
- Sontu: (Also spelled as Shontu) Real name is Sunanda Roychowdhury. Who first studies in Tirthapati Institution and after that in Ballygunge Govt. School. The only college-going nephew of Kakababu, and the companion to all Kakababu adventures. This young adult has sharp wit and intelligence, and his mental strength is only comparable to Kakababu. He has also been trapped on several occasions by ruthless enemies.He is an excellent swimmer and an outstanding athlete. He is the best friend of Jojo.
- Jojo: The best friend of Shantu and equals his age and they both studied in Presidency College. He was very close to Kakababu like Shantu and Jojo also loves him a lot. He was introduced as a character to give comic relief, resulting from his habit of telling lies but not for bad will, but creating imaginary stories about his dramatic life experiences.
- Debolina Dutta: A friend of Shantu and Jojo, and seemingly their one of the only two female friends (The other one is Rini). She has got involved in some of the Kakababu adventures.
- Saibal Dutta: Father of Debolina Dutta, a rich and jovial person.
- Rini: Another friend of Shantu and Jojo, and seemingly their one of the only two female friend (The other one is Debolina). She has got involved in some of the Kakababu adventures.
- Oli: She is another female friend of Shantu and Jojo.
- Narendra Verma: A veteran I.P.S. officer of Indian government helps Kakababu in many adventures.
Adventures of Kakababu Sontu
- Bhoyonkor Sundor (1979)
- Sobuj Dwiper Raja (1980)
- Paharchuray Aatonko (1981)
- Bhupal Rohosyo (1982)
- Khali Jahajer Rohosyo (1983)
- Mishor Rohosyo (1984)
- Kolkatar Jongole (1985)
- Nilmurti Rohosyo & Jongoler Modhye Ek Hotel (1986)
- Jongolgorer Chaabi & Rajbarir Rohosyo (1987)
- Bijoynogorer Hire (1988)
- Kakababu O Brajalama (1989)
- Ulka Rohosyo & Mohakaler Likhon (1990)
- Kakababu Here Gelen? (1991)
- Sontu O Ektukro Chaand (1992)
- Aagun Pakhir Rohosyo (1993)
- Kakababu Bonam Chorashikari (1994)
- Sontu Kothay Kakababu Kothay (1995)
- Kakababur Prothom Obhijan (1996)
- Jojo Odrishyo (1997)
- Kakababu O Chondon Dosyu (1998)
- Kakababu O Ek Chhoddobeshi (1999)
- Kakababu O Shishuchorer Dol (2000)
- Kakababu O Moronfaad (2001)
- Kakababu O Black panther (2002)
- Kakababu O Aaschorjo Dwip (2003)
- Kakababu O Sinduk Rohosyo (2004)
- Kakababu O Ekti Sada Ghora (2005)
- Ebar Kakababur Protisodh (2006)
- Kakababur Chokhe Jol (2007)
- Kakababu aar Bagher Golpo (2008)
- Aagneyogirir Peter Modhye (2009)
- Aarobdeshe Sontu Kakababu (2010)
- Kakababu O Jalodassu (2011)
- Golokdhandhay Kakababu (2012)
In October 2010 an animated series by the name of Kakababu-Sontu began airing in Ruposhi Bangla.
- Bhoyonkor Sundor (published by Ananda Publishers), art by Bijon Karmakar
Portrayal in film
The character of Kakababu has been portrayed in several different films, with Shamit Bhanjo portraying the detective in the 1979 film Sabuj Dwiper Raja. Sabyasachi Chakrabarty played the character in the 1996 film Kakababu Here Gelen? and the 2003 Ek Tukro Chand. Prasenjit Chatterjee portrayed the character in the 2013 film Mishor Rohoshyo.
- Khali Jahajer Rahasya (1999), Directed by Surojit Sengupto aired on Doordarshan as a 13 episodes TV Series. Kakababu was played by Sabyasachi Chakrabarty.
- Kakababu o Ek Chadmabeshi(2001), Directed by Joy Mukherjee aired on ETV Bangla. Kakababu was played by Arjun Chakrabarty and Santu was played by Sumon Banerjee.
- Kakababu Firey Elen (2008–09),
- Rajbarir Rahashya
- Kolkatar Jongoley
Though one of the biggest assets of Bengali Literature, the stories of Kakababu has faltered from its usual charm, thrill as well as fame in the recent past years.