Placement on map is approximate
|Elevation||4,000 ft (1,220 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Kakira is located in Jinja District, approximately 14 kilometres (9 mi) east of downtown Jinja on the highway to Iganga. The coordinates of the town are: 0°30'13.0"N, 33°16'57.0"E (Latitude:0.503611; Longitude:33.282500). 
In 2014, the national population census put the population of Kakira at 32,819.
Kakira is the traditional headquarters of the Madhvani Group, a diversified conglomerate, involved in agribusiness, manufacturing, insurance, and leisure services, and other business interests. On an estate measuring 9,500 hectares (37 sq mi), the Group owns a sugarcane farm and a sugar manufacturing complex, Kakira Sugar Limited. They also own a sweets & confectionery factory, Kakira Sweets & Confectioneries Limited. Also on the estate the Group has an electricity generating plant, Kakira Power Station, producing 52MW of power for use in the Madhvani complex, with the excess sold to the Ugandan national grid. The Madhvani estate at Kakira employs in excess of 7,500 people. Management of the Madhvani Group, provides a private 100-bed hospital, eight primary schools and one secondary school for use by its workers and their dependents. Also located on the Madhvani estate complex, is also a private airport, Kakira Airport (ICAO: HUKK), for use by the family and corporate clients. The airport Also is home to Turbo Prop Service Centre (TPSC), a subsidiary that deals in aircraft servicing. The estate is in the process of installing a distillery to produce ethanol from molasses, a by-product of sugar.
Madhvani Companies at Kakira
The Madhvani Group Industrial complex at Kakira includes but is not limited to the following companies:
- Kakira Airport - ICAO: HUKK
- Kakira Electricity Company - Owners of Kakira Power Station, with capacity of 52 Megawatts.
- Kakira Sugar Works - Employs in excess of 7,500
- Kakira Sweets & Confectioneries Limited
- Madhvani Soap Factory Limited
- Muljibhai Madhvani Foundation
- TPSC Turbo Prop Service Centre Uganda Limited - Aircraft Maintenance And Service
- Kakira Hospital - Capacity 100 beds with surgical theaters and pediatric unit
- Nursery, Primary and Secondary schools
- The offices of Kakira Town Council
- UBOS, . (29 November 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Jinja and Kakira With Interactive Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Google, . "Location of Kakira At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Madhvani Group, . (2013). "About Kakira Sugar Works". Kakirasugar.com. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "Coordinates of Kakira Airport". Gladstonefamily.net. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Senelwa, Kennedy (17 January 2015). "Kakira Set To Produce Ethanol In 2016". The EastAfrican (Nairobi). Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Ojambo, Fred (25 July 2014). "Uganda’s Kakira Sugar Plans to Produce Ethanol Fuel by 2016". Bloomber News. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Kiirya, Donald (22 February 2013). "Kakira To Produce 52MW of Power From Sugar Waste". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 27 February 2015.