Placement on map is approximate
|Elevation||4,000 ft (1,220 m)|
Kakira is located in Jinja District, approximately 10 miles (16 km) east of downtown Jinja on the highway to Iganga. The coordinates of the town are:00 30 00N, 33 16 48E (Latitude:0.5000; Longitude:33.2800).
Kakira is the location and the traditional headquarters of the Madhvani Group conglomerate. On an 9,500 hectares (37 sq mi) estate, the Group owns a sugarcane farm and a sugar manufacturing complex, Kakira SugarLimited. They also own a sweets & confectionery factory, Kakira Sweets & Confectioneries Limited. Also on the estate the Group has an electricity generating plant, producing 50MW of power for use on the complex with the excess sold to the Ugandan national grid.The Madhvani estate at Kakira employs in excess of 7,500 people. Management provides for workers and dependents a private 100-bed hospital, 8 primary schools and 1 secondary school. On the estate is also a private airport, Kakira Airport, (ICAO: HUKK). The estate will soon install a distillery to produce ethanol from molasses, a by-product of sugar.
Madhvani Companies at Kakira
The Madhvani Group Industrial complex at Kakira includes but is not limited to the following companies:
- Kakira Airport - ICAO: HUKK
- Kakira Electricity Company - Owners of Kakira Power Station, with capacity 22 Mega Watts. In process of upgrading to 52MW
- Kakira Sugar Works - Employs in excess of 7,500
- Kakira Sweets & Confectioneries Limited
- Madhvani Soap Factory Limited
- Muljibhai Madhvani Foundation
- TPSC Uganda Limited - Aircraft Maintenance
- Kakira Hospital - Capacity 100 beds with surgical theaters and pediatric unit
- Nursery, Primary and Secondary schools
- The offices of Kakira Town Council